Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 8:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kata Guruma

I personally like this throw...I think in close it can be applied effectively especially if you were trying to do say a takedown and missed, and he shifted wieght over your body... Your thoughts....

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My attempts at kata guruma lead me to believe that it is a good way for either tori to die if he fucks up or uke to die if tori fucks up only slightly less.

I'd like to know how to do it properly too.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/09/2004 2:25pm at .

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The two tricks to it are a good upper drive between the legs and a strong pull down. With those two things it comes together very well.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 2:09pm

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love kata guruma and do it, I think, quite fluidly in uchikomi. I agree with greese1, the
    initial pull-down kuzushi is the critical part of the technique. As an aside, we've recently
    changed the way we train this technique. We've started using Eddie _____'s (mind draws a
    blank; Bravo comes to mind, but I think that's a cartoon character) method. I like it more since
    it's easier to understand and is damn near effortless.

However, I've *not once* gotten it to work in randori.

Posted On:
    1/14/2004 12:57am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie Bravo does a kata garuma? I thought he was a notorious "I hate takedowns I pull guard" guy (not to knock on his skills at all).

Yes, kata garuma is dangerous. A bad tori dislocated my shoulder a couple months ago. I'm only finally starting to get back into judo. Still no randori for another month or two, and no kimuras or americanas for another few. Basically she pulled down at first but didn't push up as I was going down(she was just learning the throw). I was gonna land on my head so I stuck out an arm, but she did some wierd twist at the end (I think she was trying to help) and my arm was dislocated. I couldn't really move my left arm for a few days. I could hold it up to about chest level with my other arm, but if I let it go it would fall down (and painfully, too, if I was trying to hold it up with my left arm muscles).

So yes, be careful when learning it.

Fucking awesome throw, though. I love it when people pull it off standing all the way up. Fucking amazing.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2004 1:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I finally remembered the name. It's not Eddie Bravo. I meant to say Jimmy Pedro (AKA the US Olympian).

Serendipitous timing! Last night, I *finally* got something resembling it in randori. It was about time.

Posted On:
    1/14/2004 1:08am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, ok. What's jimmy pedro's way of doing it?
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    1/14/2004 1:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets see if I can remember this...he was fucking killer with it. I think he splayed a leg out to get lower...but that is only what I was told...I think.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2004 1:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has more of a sutemi-ish feel to it since it's more of a roll than a lift. In my experience, this has a few benefits--it takes way less power, it's more fluid (this is probably a corollary to #1), and the ukemi is easier. As a result, I've been able to train more of them than I could previously.

It does have the downside of being less likely to dump the guy on his head from height though.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    1/14/2004 1:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, is it about what I described?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast