Thread: Info on IBK?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Info on IBK?

Hi I'm getting back into martial arts after a long break. I have quite good prospects around me and I have pretty much settled on doing Judo. I am considering cross training with Muay Thai which is in easy walking distance but there is a Kyokushin Budokai gym that's also very close by and I wondered if you had any opinions on the art? I searched for it but I was still unsure of what to make of it. So how would you think it compares to Muay Thai? Especially in terms of cross training with Judo.

Thanks in advance.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does IBK (whatever that is) have to do with judo, muay thai or kyokushin? general opinion here is that kyokushin probably doesn't suck

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IBK is the organisation responsible for Kyokushin Budokai. Founded by Jon Bluming from the Netherlands. It combines Kyokushin Karate and Judo as far as I understand it. I was just curious to see if anyone had experience of it and what their thoughts were. I'm not looking for someone to make my decision for me, just more information. I used IBK in the title for the sake of brevity.

I can't post links but the IBK website can be found easily on google.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think you're on to a winner here.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I found out a bit more about it. KBK is basically (again as far as I can tell) Kyokushin Karate with open hand head strikes combined with Judo throws, takedowns, pins and submissions. The big attraction is that the art encourages the incorporation of any effective skill or technique. The actual gym near me considers itself to be and MMA club that uses KBK as it's core. The head coach is a 6th dan in KBK with 3 other karate black belts and has been training people since the 80's, his right hand man is a european level freestyle wrestler. The club competes in MMA and submission grappling events. I think as Fuzzy said I'm on to a winner here. Thanks for the vid btw, helped me make my decision.

Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cereus View Post
    Well I found out a bit more about it. KBK is basically (again as far as I can tell) Kyokushin Karate with open hand head strikes combined with Judo throws, takedowns, pins and submissions. The big attraction is that the art encourages the incorporation of any effective skill or technique. The actual gym near me considers itself to be and MMA club that uses KBK as it's core. The head coach is a 6th dan in KBK with 3 other karate black belts and has been training people since the 80's, his right hand man is a european level freestyle wrestler. The club competes in MMA and submission grappling events. I think as Fuzzy said I'm on to a winner here. Thanks for the vid btw, helped me make my decision.

Did you ever check out the club? If so, what did you think?