Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 11:01am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Twist and Back Grip - How to get around the medial elbow pain or medial epicondolitis

Sounds like good advice for preventing muscle loss while recovering from golfer's elbow.

Submitted for your evaluation:

Twist and Back Grip - How to get around the medial elbow pain or medial epicondolitis
    by Paul Zaichek

I wrote this article for all the people who suffer from an injury to the hand, fingers or forearm flexors. Inability to grip the bar for pulling movements often causes a long setback in training ranging from pull ups to rows to dead lifts etc. The idea to write this article came to me from a recent trip to Hollywood. I was there last year training a client, I worked with previous year. I was startled to see he lost a large amount of upper body muscle mass. At first I assumed that this was a required weight loss for a part in a movie. Soon I found out he got medial epicondolitis, in other words, golfers elbow. This person had an injury that prevented him from gripping the weight with one arm. Result Ė avoidance of pulling movements, including elbow flexors and most back muscles, during trainings. He also had some pain with pushing exercises, which he kept doing for a while, but stopped soon after.
    Although I was there for a different reason, I recommended a solution. It worked out so well that it inspired me to write this article.

The focus of this article is to get around the medial epicondylitis. Medial epicondylitis is an inflammation of the origin of the wrist and finger flexors. Most people who get this pain are usually athletes who place repetitive pressure on the flexors of the wrist primarily when the hand is in the neutral or pronated position. (Neutral position is when the palms face each other, and pronated is when the palms face down.) Weight lifters and body builders get this injury primarily from extreme strain on the forearm and finger flexors, most notably from the cable triceps press down or skull crusher, with pronated grip. Heavy lat pull downs and heavy dead lift can also contribute to this condition.
    If you think you have this condition there is a number of ways to check for symptoms.

The first sign would be the pain on the inside of your elbow. If you feel this pain for a few days in a row, try this test. Pronate your forearm (turn the palms down) and press on the stable object (your desk) with the tips of your fingers, while keeping your arm fully extended. Compare the feeling in the effected arm with that in the non-effected arm. If you feel the pain, chances are the tendons attached to your medial epycondyle are injured.

It may take 4-8 weeks for a complete recovery depending on the state of your injury. (This is estimated period for inflammation process of your tendons. If this is chronic condition and the degeneration has taken place, the recovery time would be much longer. )

The great thing is that after reading this article you will know how to work around this injury and not lose your hard earned size and strength. I recommend two options. I call them Twist grip (T-Grip) and Back Grip (B-Grip). The Twist Grip takes advantage of friction and the shape of your hand and requires virtually no training, while the Back Grip requires the strength of the extensors of your wrist.

To comfortably perform each grip you would need a strap (yoga strap would work here) or a rope. If you have a choice, go for the strap, your skin will thank you for it.
    Twist Grip is rather simple to make. Place the strap around the bar. Place your hand into the strap loop. Twist your hand around a few times. Place two of your fingers around the strap and voila! You can now pull pretty hard, while your wrist is in straight line with your forearm. You can use this for pull ups, pull downs, bent over rows, upright rows, dead lifts, etc.

The Back Grip is a bit more complicated. It actually requires the strength of the muscles located on the dorsal side of your forearm. These muscles are usually under trained and may not be strong enough to hold the poundage. On the other hand if you desire to develop the back of your forearm, this is an exercise to do. The only difference is that you wonít be placing the strap between your fingers. Your wrist will be hyper extended, allowing your fingers to stay free from any work. This is great for people who have multiple finger injury and canít grip the bar for that reason.

In conclusion, I would recommend easing into the routine. You may not be able to lift as much weight as you can with the regular supporting grip. Try out the T and B Grips with light weight first. Play around with the number of turns that is optimal for you when using the T-Grip. Your skin on the wrist would be thankful for it.

Paul Zaichik

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 12:13pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a set of these: http://www.1tonhooks.com/1TonHooks.htm that have worked well for me working through some aches and pains. Simlar concept, probably more comfortable and easier to use, but more expensive. I like them.
    Last edited by muddy; 5/14/2009 12:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 10:19am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you so much!
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2009 9:10pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was all BS, then I saw him do it. Good form on those rows.