Posted On:
    5/13/2009 6:45pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Art of Combat Fight Directing Workshop

Forwarded from a friend of mine:

Hello,

Over the last few years many people have inquired about joining the Art of Combat or studying historical combat for stage and screen. Therefore, we have created a one week intensive in the skills needed to create extraordinary fights for stage and screen. It will be held in New York City August 9th – 15th, 2009 and classes (taught by Jared Kirby and John Lennox) will include stage combat, historical fencing, acting the fight, finding your angles and much more. The workshop will culminate in a show to be performed in New York City.

More basic information is below and the website will be up soon with a sample schedule and more details.

This workshop is an immersion into the AoC company which has been actively transferring historical combat styles to stage and film for over a decade. Members are trained in historical as well as standard combat styles for stage and screen. Our training and expertise has enhanced theatre, film and TV with authentic and realistic combat sequences all around the world.

We need to get an idea of how many people plan to attend in order to secure the proper sized venue so please email me in the next few weeks if you would like to participate or if you have any questions.

Take care,
    Jared Kirby
    jaredkirby@hotmail.com
    www.artofcombat.org

Art of Combat Fight Directing Workshop

The week is structured so that you will get the most out of it. You can register at one of three levels, based on your skill level and what you want to learn: “Combatant”, “On Track” or “Fight Director”.

For participants with no previous experience or those with experience who want an introduction to the Art of Combat organization you can register at the “Combatant” level. You will learn the basic elements of AoC combat for stage and screen. You will take classes in a variety of subjects and rehearse in scenes choreographed by the Fight Directors. There will also be rehearsal every day for a show you will perform in, in New York City that Fri/Sat night.

For those already at the Combatant level and who are starting to work towards becoming a Fight Director you can register at the “On Track” level. There will be opportunities for you to work as an Authorized Combat Instructor, Fight Captain and/or Asst. Fight Director depending on what you need. Your skills will be honed by working the scenes, culminating in the show to be performed in New York City.

Finally, if you have completed all your requirements and are ready to test for Fight Director you can register at the “Fight Director” level. This will prepare you for your exams as well as provide an environment to start your testing process. There will also be the opportunity for probationary FD’s to choreograph the Fri/Sat night show to fulfill one gig requirement (while getting a NYC credit).

This workshop is perfect for Stage and Screen actors as well as Opera Singers and Dance performers. Daily subject matter will draw from classical and contemporary material to study dramatic and comedic situations.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Art of Combat" guys are all serious WMA practitioners as well as professional fight directors - I'd recommend this course to anyone interested in either subject.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 7:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious, have any of you ever studied with/ know anything about The Society of American Fight Directors? I'm learning some stage combat/ fight/ stunt choreography from one of their affiliated members and I was curious to see what an outside source has to say. Btw pretty neato stuff on the website!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2009 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The SAFD is the oldest and largest professional stage combat society in the US. Lots of good people. They are sometimes criticized because their standard instruction styles (as taught to actors at performing arts academies, etc.) aren't fully historically accurate, or (if possible) err on the side of looking "too safe", at the cost of realism. From what I've seen it really depends on the instructor/fight director.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2009 9:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! It's nice to hear an outside opinion! My instructor/maestro was kind of saying the same thing in that some of his fellow members in the SAFD rely on a more "modern" approach in which the safety aspect outweighs the realistic aspect thus resulting in less exciting performance. In fact, I was doing some research of my own and picked up an unarmed fight choreography tape from the college library and two SAFD members were featured. To summarize the video, the techniques were safe but they looked "so-so". Plus as a martial artist there were some things that REALLY bothered me especially in the execution of the punches. Fortunately, my instructor is a little more lenient with safety, but that's not to say that he doesn't make sure that there is a complete sense of control between the combatants. Thanks again!