Posted On:
    5/13/2009 4:48pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Budget Pistol: The Hi-point C9

Well,

.357 Magnum ammo has hit $.80 per round for the cheap stuff. 4 months agao I was paying that for 300 grain .454 Casull. So I figured "**** it...Time to get a budget gun!"

I selected the Hi-point model C9 in 9mm.

Here are the stats:
    Barrel length: 3.5"
    Overall length: 6.75"
    Weight: 29 oz.
    Frame: High-impact polymer
    Finish: Black powder coat
    Capacity: 8-shot magazine standard (10-shot magazine also available)
    Sights: 3-dots, fully-adjustable rear sight

I paid 168.00 US dollars for what may in fact be the ugliest automatic pistol ever made. The frame is polymer, so you would think it'd be light. WRONG!!! Damn near 30 oz for a nine? Woah! Then again...a Ruger p95 is about that heavy, so I shouldn't bitch.

The issue is that big-ass, all-steal slide. It's just a hunk of metal cut to shape. That makes it heavy, but y'know, it also means you could run it over with a truck. Durability is nice.

I took it out back and ran 100 rounds through it. Not bad. It had a tendency to not feed the last round in the magazine though. manufacturer says that this weapon has a 100 to 300 rounds break in period, so I will be patient. Internet research indicates that the magazines can be sub-par. I have ordered two more just to check. it is also recommended to polish the feed ramp. This weapon has a fixed barrel, which makes it more prone to feeding problems, but also freakishly consistent.

That's my next point. This little bastard shot some of the tightest groups I've ever seen. 2 inch groups at 7 yards with almost no practice at all. The weight, fixed barrel, and low-recoil cartridge make getting all the bullets into the same hole super-easy. The polymer grips DO get slippery though. No one makes after market grips for this low-rent shooter, so I bought a Hogue rubber slip-over grip thing (A Hogue Hand-all; get the one that fits all Glocks) and it helps.

This is not a gun for gun snobs. It will not replace your Browning high-power or Beretta 92. It's not even a Springfield XD. However, with a little care and know-how, this piece is a solid shooter. It stays on target, is easy to handle (once you deal with the grips), and is quite reliable.

Until the cost of .357 comes back to something more realistic, this little piece will be on my hip more often than not. I can still get 9mm for $.26 a round.
    Last edited by Scrapper; 5/13/2009 5:10pm at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 4:53pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enjoy your cheap, ugly 9mm! :) My budget gun is a .22. Ammo is actually somewhat attainable for it, plus I've had the thing since I was a kid. Its a Ruger. Great weapon.

On most other shooting forums, your new purchase is considered the ugliest pistol ever made, followed by the Japanese Nambu pistol.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 10:28am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I amend this thread.

THIS IS THE UGLIEST GUN EVER MADE BY MAN:

And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 10:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, Glock fanatics in 3...2...1...

Thanks for the post Scrapper! I've been wanting a lil'handgun and any purchase over $200 has to be a power tool or truck repair or some such nonesense. There ain't much money to go around these days.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 10:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yeah, is it really an American made pistol? It looks like an Eastern Block hockey puck. That part is surprising, I didn't know we made anything basic&reliable anymore.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 10:53am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a big Glock fan huh?

I am looking at wheel guns in .44, and the Tarus PT1911.

I am torn at this point.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 10:58am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are made in Ohio. It's not a big company.

Glocks are hideous.

AMF, that is a tough choice. I damn near bought a charter Arms bulldog, (because .44 special can still be found) before I bought the C9. My father in Law has the PT1911, and he and I both agree that it is comparable to anybody's 1911 out there, no questions asked. Don't let the Kimber and Nighthawk snobs talk you out of it.

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 11:48am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost bought a Hi Point .45 (supposedly named the "JHP," though I only see that mentioned on Hi Point forums) last week, but in the end decided to get a Rock Island 1911.

The 1911 hasn't arrived yet, so I can't say anything about it at this point. I bought it because RIA is universally recognized for quality and because, at only ~$200 more, it gets me two very important things: 1) a damn near infinite supply of parts, available damn near everywhere, and 2) a weapon that can be serviced damn near anywhere on the planet. As much as I like the simplicity and the economy of the Hi Point, it just can't compete on those aspects.

I suppose it also helps that thousands of people would just love to teach me everything about the 1911 that possibly can be communicated--even if they have to resort to drawing pictures. Long story short: I've spent a lot of time on The Sight M1911 recently. :new_popco

EDIT: Heh, I forgot to mention that I didn't want to buy any gun I hadn't fired before. The range didn't have a single Hi Point available to rent, but they had a small army of 1911s.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 12:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try finding .45ACP at a decent price (or at all) right now, man. It sucks.

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 12:24pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Try finding .45ACP at a decent price (or at all) right now, man. It sucks.
    Yeah, that was the other thing I forgot to mention. However, household policy dictates that the 1911 be a range gun for a while anyway. I am fine with that, until I see an indication that I'll need a defensive pistol at the ready, because it gives me plenty of time to focus on shooting and maintenance.

HAHAHA! Your post just reminded me to check my bookmarked ammunition sources and I just ordered 25 rounds of 230gr Golden Saber for 29.99 plus shipping.

Have at it guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast