Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Norinco 7.62x25 Tokarev ammuntion steel cored?

OK, earlier this evening I went ahead and ordered 900 rounds of Norinco 7.62x25 ammunition. It occured to me that it might be steel cored, and if so, I wouldn't be able to use it at a lot of indoor ranges, and I imagine that there might be issues with shooting that at steel targets. However, I cannot ascertain from Google searches whether or not Norinco 7.62x25 ammunition is steel cored or not, so I was hoping someone here would know.

If it is indeed steel cored, I will go ahead and order some Wolf Gold, which is not steel cored or steel cased: http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/3253

In that case, I would use the Norinco for practice outdoors versus paper targets and the Wolf Gold for everything where that wouldn't be suitable.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:22pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure personally. I'd wager that it'd be a bit more expensive if it was.

However, this is a great resource on the pistol. They mention you need to be careful with corrosive ammo if you end up with some, and clean that bastard religiously. Or don't because they're almost cheap enough to be disposable.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu59.htm

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link. Well, according to the man who placed my order on the phone, the Norinco ammo is not corrosive.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 11:06am

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GENERALLY if the ammo is surplus than it is corrosive and steel cored. If it's new manufacture ammo than you shouldn't have a problem. You can check by holding a magnet to the tip of the bullet.

I've always been told that if you're unsure whether it's corrosive or not than clean it like it is. Be careful where you get that info from, the guy at a local gun store here always swears that the 7.62x54R ammo they sell is non corrosive but the internet says differently. Some places say that just because some people won't buy corrosive surplus ammo.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think of the Tokarev as the "poor man's 5.7"---it will penetrate a lot of styles of body armor due to it's velocity and core. Most of the surplus stuff that I have seen out there is indeed steel core. In many cases, it will do what the 5.7 was originally designed to do---shoot scumbag terrorists who wear body armor. :eusa_doh:

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 6:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think that the Norinco stuff is surplus, though. It's different than the Eastern Bloc surplus from Eastern Europe which is usually listed as being corrosive on J&G's website.

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 9:58am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Think of the Tokarev as the "poor man's 5.7"---it will penetrate a lot of styles of body armor due to it's velocity and core. Most of the surplus stuff that I have seen out there is indeed steel core. In many cases, it will do what the 5.7 was originally designed to do---shoot scumbag terrorists who wear body armor. :eusa_doh:
    I've always thought of it as a poor man's .357 Sig. It doesn't quite penetrate the way a 5.7 would. I'd rather have a Tok than a Five Seven pistol anyway.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 8:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to an email I recieved from J&G sales, the Wolf Gold 7.62x25 ammunition does not stick to magnets. Useful info.