Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Punch & Kick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

effective weirdness - Genki Sudo

I watched the latest K-1 that was broadcasted over the weekend...a pretty strange freakshow really. They had this Savate guy with a fro, a bunch of shootfighters with the fashion sense of a Japanese woman (maybe they were trying to impress them?). Anyways..what struck me the most was Genki Sudo's fight against Albert Kraus. Albert Kraus is one hella good kickboxer but Genki with an assortment of mr. roboto and spinning backfists really seemed to throw him off. If it wasn't for the yellow card, I think he may have even won the fight. For anyone that didn't see the fight, he did this robot dance and then backpedaled away from Kraus while ignoring him, threw two cartwheel kicks, a double off-the-rope donkey kick and constant spinning backfists. I hear he's a sick grappler too.

He took Masato to decision as well. From what I read he frustrated the **** out of him as well.

Does anyone here train similar "effective weirdness"? It seems most gyms focus on orthodox kickboxing/thaiboxing. Anyone's trainer focus on any of this stuff? It would seem that this style of weirdness would be good to throw off an otherwise superior kickboxer as well as just buy time. I don't think this kind of stuff works if you just try to wing it on the spot. Act the fool and get KO'ed...train the fool and...win?! Does Sudo's robot-style evolve along the lines of drunken fist? monkey style? and other odd older styles?
    Last edited by IronBuddha; 1/18/2004 11:04pm at .
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 11:10pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to www.subfighter.com and download the westside submission tournament with Genki Sudo in it. Fucking amazing. There used to be a highlight of him somewhere but I can't find it anymore. Anyone know where it is?

I heard he got robbed against Kraus.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...Kraus got warned for hitting to the back of the head....but that's all he saw of Sudo cuz he kept on spinning. Genki elbowed Kraus in the eye and cut him...so he got a yellow card. That probably tipped the judging. As well, the judges are a bit uptight and like classical kickboxing and Sudo's Robo-do is probably too much for them to stomach.

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 11:41pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sudo only gets away with all that because he's insanely talented. If he fought straight-up orthodox, he'd obliterate people.

One of my favorite fighters of all time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 11:50pm

Style: bei shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Genki got a card for holding not for an elbow.

Genki is one of those guys you could teach some crazy kung fu moves and he'll make it look effective.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost is correct.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2004 11:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He must train these crazy kung-fu moves. Has anyone ever manage to pull this stuff off? Or even trains this stuff for serious use?! I've seen some drunken-monky-fu guys but they're jokes....

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 12:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    clearly you don't watch enough boxing. how many "cleverly awkward" or "unorthodox" guys are there? some of them suck ass, but some really throw the other guy off their game. i especially like the mexican guy that comes running out of his corner and hits the other guy about 15 times before he has a chance to react. i call that guy "speedy gonzales", i don't know what his real name is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2004 12:27am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at Sanders vs. Klitschko..... Sanders took him in the 2d round.... Though not crazy unorthodox, he was a lefty, which shows how most fighters are bewildered by anything other than the norm. This is why I train to be ambidexterous, as it's a huge advantage to switch from side to side and throw the same power and same speed from either side. Keeps the opponent on his feet. Now, if I could just figure out how to do some crazy Sakuraba-style **** and hook up the KO's with it.. ya'll might even hear my name lol....ahhh but alas I am just some kickboxin clown for now....:(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2004 2:34pm

Style: aikido / judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ring entrances, flying submission attempts, backturned dancing . . . Sudo is definitely the most entertaining fighter out there right now. Not to mention an apparently good-natured guy. His website has some diary entries - his response to having matches clearly stolen by the judges? "I lost, have to accept that, train harder." His response to getting randomly knifed on the street? "People are all brothers, i hope the criminal changes his mind" etc.

As far as training goes, I can see training for the mechanics of a spinning backfist, or even those wacky somersault kicks, but I don't think you can train to get that crazy inventive energy or sheer chutzpah.

Ironlife and mma-fighter used to host a few highlight videos, but theyre down. I've got them if someone has space to host them. It's pretty funny to see genki intimidate masato simply by backturned stepping towards him, or tag him with ridiculously telegraphed windup punches.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast