218358 Bullies, 7214 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:06pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Isn't a BJJ tournament technically a point sparring tournament?
    No, because you can win the match through submitting the guy. If you KO the guy in point sparring, you run the risk of being disqualified for using too much force.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    If you KO the guy in point sparring, you run the risk of being disqualified for using too much force.
    Blanket statement about as true as "If you elbow a guy on the ground in MMA, you run the risk of getting disqualified."

Yeah, in some places.

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every point sparring comp I've been to awards a win if you knock your opponent (which is rare). Also, what is the op training for?

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 3:05pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a decent enough exercise, but worse than useless if you don't also do more contact, continuous sparring.

Point sparring is good training for speed, avoiding damage and more importantly, fast entrance and exit footwork.

It creates bad habits like training to touch rather than hit, favoring single techniques over combinations and not knowing how to deal with continuous pressure, if you don't also do more realistic sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 5:26pm

Style: Shitoryu Karate and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    It creates bad habits like training to touch rather than hit, favoring single techniques over combinations and not knowing how to deal with continuous pressure, if you don't also do more realistic sparring.

That really depends on the style of point sparring. While my school is hardly the best style of sparring out there (and you're right about the continuous pressure), we're encouraged to throw combinations and at least get a full hit (not a love tap) on the opponent. Points are hardly deducted for excessive force or whacking the opponent six or seven times when one would have gotten you the point. You don't necessarily benefit (matchwise) from them, but they're not discouraged.

That said, as everyone else before me has said, Full Contact is infinitely better. Still, depending on HOW it's handled Point Sparring can certainly be better than no sparring at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 6:07pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    It's a decent enough exercise, but worse than useless if you don't also do more contact, continuous sparring.

Point sparring is good training for speed, avoiding damage and more importantly, fast entrance and exit footwork.

I Agree totally. I've been in point sparring tournaments where a competitor can get basically knocked out, and after being given some time to "recover" he could either continue or lose the match. By that same token I've seen far more point tournaments where you lose points or the match "breathing to hard" on your opponent. lol

I didn't start doing good a point tournaments until I got back into hard contact boxing and kickboxing. This caused me to relax at point tournaments because I would think "this is cool...I'm only gonna get hit once"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12