Nine times thrown, ten times rise

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 12:21am

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Van, wtf?

I'll train with you - you're not far away at all and I have mats at my house (and all sorts of physical conditioning equipment if that floats your boat).

...oh, and what Kintanon and jnp said.

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 9:34am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I talked to my instructor about how I was feeling today and he laughed at me. He says I have progressed so much its not even funny. The only problem is that I was absolutely terrible when I started. Hah! Thanks coach! He says he has seen it alot with people who were strikers for so long transitioning into a ground game. He says every single white belt not named BJ Penn goes through a period like I am and that he isnt worried because he knows how dedicated I am.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Kintannon, I think I just had it so ingrained into my head to use technique before I use strength that I also added 'using my weight' into that eqaution and that is something I am going to work on tonight.

Yojimbo, Im so glad you are still here. I still have your cell phone number and would love to set something up. Ill hit you up later.

As a funny side note, last night one of the younger black belts in the karate school at our location locked his keys in his car. He was parked next to me while my instructor and I were talking. The kid and his friends whent inside the building to ask for help. I told my instructor that I had AAA. He smiles at me and says, I dont need AAA, Im Mexican.

He had a long wire in his trunk and we were able to jimmy the door enough to shove the wire through... hook the kids keys.. and give them to him when he came back. You should have seen the kids face as my instructor handed him his keys while his doors were still locked!

BJJ FOR THE WIN! lol
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 9:40am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van View Post
    He smiles at me and says, I dont need AAA, Im Mexican.
    Should be added to the bullshido great quote list.

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 10:04am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van View Post
    I sat this week doing alot of thinking about where I stand in my chosen martial art. Having ringworm can do that to a man. As I sat and thought about how far I have come in the past 8 months since joining my new school I thought to myself, 'my god... I realy suck'.

I spoke to my friend who also does martial arts (albeit not BJJ) and kind of tossed around how I was feeling with him. I though that maybe it was because I was such a natural at Karate and Muay Thai, maybe BJJ just has a larger learning curve? I remember as a kid taking up TKD and taking first place in a national tourney after 6 months of training. Perhaps this feeling of there being a larger learning curve is normal among most white belts of BJJ?

Then my friend dropped the hammer on me. "Perhaps your just getting older and your not picking up new physical skills like you used to". Whoa. Hold on there budy."Im only 27 man Im still a young buck! Right?" This cant be it. Obviously I have been repeating a mantra of "More classes, better diet, harder more determined work outs" but its getting harder to see improvement. Its a new school and so there arent any blue or purple belts to even ask about my improvement. I feel like I was getting tooled when I started.. and getting tooled now. I have read this over in over in most the threads here, "get ready to tap out.. and tap out and tap out" And I am fine with that, but I would like to be able to compete at some point and all I seem to do is tap out, even to other white belts.

One of my friends says Im not aggresive enough. Im 6'2 220 pounds. I hate smothering people with my weight, instead I will pull guard to work off my back. I even asked my instructor at one point if there was a way to transition from S mount to a arm bar without dropping so much of my weight on my oppenent. The second I said it I knew how stupid it sounded but I realy dont want to injure anyone. I was never like that in Karate or MT. I dont know what happened. Its not like I got married recently.

:XXarcade:
    Are you a woman? If not, stop sharing your damn feelings and start sweating or you're not going to get any better. Everybody has their off times during training. Just get through it, and while you're at it maybe try adding or changing something in your routine. Maybe some more Omega 3s. They help balance you out so your girly little "feelings" are less likely to come back and you'll just feel better about yourself while your mind functions more the way it should.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 10:06am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, I forgot to mention that I'm the opposite when it comes to my weight. I've got some extra baggage that I'm sure I could live without, but I don't mind keeping it to use the extra weight to my advantage. I'm learning to fight, not model.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 10:30am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Are you a woman? If not, stop sharing your damn feelings and start sweating or you're not going to get any better. Everybody has their off times during training. Just get through it, and while you're at it maybe try adding or changing something in your routine. Maybe some more Omega 3s. They help balance you out so your girly little "feelings" are less likely to come back and you'll just feel better about yourself while your mind functions more the way it should.
    I wasnt asking for what fucking supplements I should be taking. And if I was, I wouldnt ask a fat little **** like you for advice.
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 10:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one mentioned it yet but start using Head and Shoulders as a body wash after you train. That stuff kills ring worm dead. Also, it has made my feet smell better because it is a general fungicide! lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 11:07am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    No one mentioned it yet but start using Head and Shoulders as a body wash after you train. That stuff kills ring worm dead. Also, it has made my feet smell better because it is a general fungicide! lol
    Seconded, also, in the case of ringworm, Lamisil is better than Lotrimen a million times over. Lamisil is ringworm's angel of death.

Good luck and keep training.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/13/2009 11:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that these ruts are more mental than anything else. I was in one the other day and had to force myself not to get mentally defeated by bigger, better opponents. That I would keep fighting hard to escape, even though I was getting my ass kicked, and it worked. I then did better with everyone else.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast