Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 5:03pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Motivation in BJJ

I sat this week doing alot of thinking about where I stand in my chosen martial art. Having ringworm can do that to a man. As I sat and thought about how far I have come in the past 8 months since joining my new school I thought to myself, 'my god... I realy suck'.

I spoke to my friend who also does martial arts (albeit not BJJ) and kind of tossed around how I was feeling with him. I though that maybe it was because I was such a natural at Karate and Muay Thai, maybe BJJ just has a larger learning curve? I remember as a kid taking up TKD and taking first place in a national tourney after 6 months of training. Perhaps this feeling of there being a larger learning curve is normal among most white belts of BJJ?

Then my friend dropped the hammer on me. "Perhaps your just getting older and your not picking up new physical skills like you used to". Whoa. Hold on there budy."Im only 27 man Im still a young buck! Right?" This cant be it. Obviously I have been repeating a mantra of "More classes, better diet, harder more determined work outs" but its getting harder to see improvement. Its a new school and so there arent any blue or purple belts to even ask about my improvement. I feel like I was getting tooled when I started.. and getting tooled now. I have read this over in over in most the threads here, "get ready to tap out.. and tap out and tap out" And I am fine with that, but I would like to be able to compete at some point and all I seem to do is tap out, even to other white belts.

One of my friends says Im not aggresive enough. Im 6'2 220 pounds. I hate smothering people with my weight, instead I will pull guard to work off my back. I even asked my instructor at one point if there was a way to transition from S mount to a arm bar without dropping so much of my weight on my oppenent. The second I said it I knew how stupid it sounded but I realy dont want to injure anyone. I was never like that in Karate or MT. I dont know what happened. Its not like I got married recently.

:XXarcade:
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see two possible problems that I will mention only because it's YMAS.

A) Not having blues and purples to roll with is extremely limiting and could be hindering your progress significantly; is there a way to travel to get in some rolling with higher belts at least occasionally (once a month maybe)?

B) It sounds like you need to use your weight more. It's not a sin to be big. You could be avoiding good technique by focusing overmuch on not using your weight.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 6:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm slightly bigger (6'3" 238). Definately use your weight more. You wouldn't tell someone not to use their speed, dexterity or adeptness. Your size and weight is an attribute that will be with you whenever you roll (unlike strength which can fade with fatigue), use that ****. Don't be so sure you're not progressing either. Roll with someone outside of your class (preferably someone who does primarily stand up) and see how it works out. Chances are you will be calm and relaxed and able to pass and set up subs. Stick with it, progress usually comes in a series of gains, plateaus and setbacks. It's easy as Hell to stay the coure when you're making solid gains but the people who really stand out are the ones that keep going no matter what. Good luck

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 7:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know I'm a scrawny little guy, one of my favorite rolling partners is a blue belt about your size. He uses his weight like a fucking mountain.
    You aren't going to crush anyone to death. I use my superior speed and flexibility, he uses his strength and weight. You need to be doing the same thing. From top AND bottom. If you are pulling guard you need to be getting grips that make your opponent carry your weight. Force them to hold you up and fight against gravity and you. That will open up more opportunities.

But really, I thought I was totally stagnant for at least a year before I went to a class with some guys who had been going for 3-4 months and was just tooling them.
    Remember, the guys you roll with not only get better, but they learn your style. They learn the things you like to work for. Start mixing your game up. Get on top and move to north south and just drop your stomach on them and attack an arm.
    You won't kill any of us, and frankly I think it's a bitch move to hold back against the smaller people as if we're too delicate for you. >:)

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are only two things that motivate you in BJJ.

1) Winning
    2) Losing

As long as you are in control and determine how both of those things will motivate you to move in a positive direction, it's all good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 9:46pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    A) Not having blues and purples to roll with is extremely limiting and could be hindering your progress significantly; is there a way to travel to get in some rolling with higher belts at least occasionally (once a month maybe)?
    This.

You need to be rolling with people of all skill levels, but rolling with people better than you is most important. You need to be badly punished for mistakes you make every time you make them.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sheesh. Flip your dilema around: Who the **** are you to blow smoke up your training partner's asses? They paid money to learn how to deal with people your size. Your classmates should be pissed at you for wasting their money. Use your weight until your teacher tells you to stop.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    27? Give up now grandpa. Taking up a hobby like collecting stamps while you keep those kids off your lawn, because the good years have passed your old ass by!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:43pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Remember, the guys you roll with not only get better, but they learn your style. They learn the things you like to work for. Start mixing your game up. Get on top and move to north south and just drop your stomach on them and attack an arm.
    Kintanon is on a roll lately. Here's the deal, everyone you roll with on a regular basis, not only learns your style, but they are also improving at a concurrent rate. It's hard to measure progress in that environment. As long as your instructor is teaching you good technique, you are all getting better. You just can't see it.

Like Kintanon said, mix it up. Stop relying on your tried and true techniques. Branch out. It will be painful as everyone crushes your initial attempts at adopting new techniques, but it will pay off in the long run, especially if you drill it before you try to pull it off in sparring.

You are in a valley. Stick with it and you will be climbing a peak before you know it. Then, later, you will hit another valley. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 11:06pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My ruts never last long because I'm always competing. Competing takes you out of ruts real quick. How often do you compete?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast