Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Interesting BJJ Article

Below is a webpage that I ran across that states pretty bluntly that BJJ ONLY works in the ring. Personally I think the article is retarded as the guy seems to think that a bjj player would jump to guard on a knife wielding attacker. There are a bunch of misconceptions about bjj in this one.

Hope this isn't a repost...but I wanted to pass along.

http://www.alljujitsu.com/brazilianj...echniques.html

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshido web site....

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's trying to sell something.

The marketing template used here--lots of bold statements, lots of bolded statements, the framed HTML boxes, denouncing well-known martial arts or artists, claims to be the ultimate in self-defense, overuse of words like "brutal", claims to association with military and law enforcement, links interspersed with the text, broad and unequivocal claims--is just that; a template and writing style meant to grab the weak-minded and inexperienced who want a quick, easy, simple solution. This template is a cookie-cutter way to make money on any garbage "martial arts" tape you want to make in three hours.

Do not read it, it's a waste of time. Do not buy it, it's a waste of money.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't disagree with alot of what he says, he just misses the point. It is like saying carrying a pistol into war is stupid because the other guy has tanks. Well yeah, duh. You bring your tanks and planes too, but in the end, when the other guy is outside of his tank without a pistol, you'll be glad you brought one.

The only other thing is that he doesn't seem to really know any bjj players outside of the random ones the train for a month or two. He makes some stupid generalizations. But it is not the worst I have seen. He even says that against someone who is only a striker, bjj will win. I think he is just "butthurt" that his attendance has dropped.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 9:58am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The article is written by a one "Commander Nitro"...

:bssign:

In all seriousness, I think all true martial artists understand the need to be well rounded and capable through all the possible situations of a fight. Some arts are weak as hell when it comes to close quarters and grappling, others have very weak striking focus.

This guy is just repeating some common sense crap and making generalizations and assumptions about BJJers. Of course the last place you want to be in a street fight is on the ground, even the Gracies will tell you that, Royce specifically stated that to my instructors at a seminar he gave last year. Fighting someone with a knife is always a losing proposition, because you WILL get cut. Etc etc...

Bottom line, same conclusion reached. The guy who wrote this is either ignorant, he's trying to stir up **** and draw attention to himself and his school, or both.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually know someone who pulled guard during a street fight.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:48am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    I actually know someone who pulled guard during a street fight.
    I don't know.

Being hit 5 times in the face when performing a failed attempt at an armbar/triangle/hoodie-choke seems like good odds to me!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:48am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hilarious.

Also, this guy's gym is maybe ten minutes from my house. I'd be happy to sit in on a class and give the Bullshido folk a re-cap of t3e d3ad1ly jiu jitsu he teaches.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 10:56am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh holy crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Some Asshat Who Misrepresents and Completely Misunderstand BJJ
    No matter how good your ground game is, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu techniques have a huge weakness in the street, and it comes from their greatest strength in the ring; the Guard. Heralded as the end all and be all of grappling techniques
    Really?

So, the guard is the 'end-all' because it worked back at UFC 1-5 ?

How is holding someone between your legs the 'end-all'? It isn't and every BJJ practitioner knows this.

This guy is completely mischaracterizing BJJ to the point that I just puked all over my dog. (Sorry Sparky!).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK.... random thoughts.

The guard game is very important if you are female and trying to stop a rape attempt.

When people talk about weapons defense or dealing with gang attack it is just silly. It's why Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson got together. A hammerless .38 in the front pocket with your hand on it is the best gang attack defense... and the most effective.

These "kill or be killed" "commando" systems are nothing new. They are all bullshido. Get a copy of "The Close Combat files of Col. Rex Applegate and you will see the very first "BS Board" which I used in my school as well.

Nothing has changed... Barnum was right.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast