Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 9:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shin Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

But what if Mad Dog Samurai One Man Army also embroiders?

Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    It reminded me of experience points a little. Which seemed a little ironic. Good article, just kinda wondered if you were going to mention 'mana' somewhere.

Also, to the spelling bee warriors, this is very unbadass. You all lose some BP and all of your mana.

Go Osoto a tiger for Kano's sake.
    But if someone is already a badass, and spells extremely well, does that make them more or less of a badass?

See, clearly being a brilliant scientific mind like many superheros just makes them more badass. Breaker Morant's fairly good poetry and beautiful singing voice made him more badass. A surprising number of fictional detectives cook well. The Saint and the Shadow were both terrific dancers.

Knitting, writing children's picture books, interior decorating, on the other hand, probably not.

So ... if a guy holds championships in a couple kinds of serious fighting and in the national spelling bee, is he an upclassed or a downclassed badass?

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 10:44pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbarnes View Post
    But if someone is already a badass, and spells extremely well, does that make them more or less of a badass?

See, clearly being a brilliant scientific mind like many superheros just makes them more badass. Breaker Morant's fairly good poetry and beautiful singing voice made him more badass. A surprising number of fictional detectives cook well. The Saint and the Shadow were both terrific dancers.

Knitting, writing children's picture books, interior decorating, on the other hand, probably not.

So ... if a guy holds championships in a couple kinds of serious fighting and in the national spelling bee, is he an upclassed or a downclassed badass?
    Good points, I believe a downclassification of badassitude will occur.
    Let me elaborate
    Skills in life can be distilled into three categories

That which shall get ye laid
    Cooking
    Dancing
    Sometimes Poetry
    A Big Brain (especially combined with spidey string or some kind of green lantern)

That which ye need to survive
    Driving
    Judo (Judo can get ye laid if you train enough to get muscly)

That which shall not get ye laid
    Interior Decorating
    Knitting
    Sewing
    Spelling

This shows that spelling will not get ye laid unless you make allowances for extreme outliers like the elderly population, or emotional cripples like educators.

Not really sure why I chose to use 'ye' there...

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 9:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: neo-ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I study a Japanese influenced system (strikes, throws, locks, grappling & weaponry for 10+ years) and Jigoro Kano is a major influence in the training. It isn't the techniques taught but how he showed they should be trained that is a great part of his legacy.
    He wanted his students to experience high resistance training without crippling them so compiled techniques that wouldn't constantly snap necks, knees or other joints, he encouraged control and wanted results to be based on technique and skill, not brute strength (you will always find someone stronger than you), then had them go at it with full force.
    Sporting events were not a part of the original intent so the Competition Judo of today shouldn't reflect on his bad-assery. He covered the throwing and the ground game originally but people seeking to win contests narrowed their focus - mostly gaining points on a good throw in a weight class division. The Jujutsu(sic) of his day had 'deadly' techniques but they would be practiced in formal patterns, with high partner complience, this played a huge factor in his students success when being tested by the police academy. BJJ brought his resistance training and strategy back into the ground game that was slowly being lost in Judo. Watching a BJJ video doesn't provide many surprises, the pins, choke and locks are not 'new', but the intensity and strategy has been brought back, it makes one want to grab a friend and start rolling about.
    To my mind a large part of his toughness comes from his ability to train against a non-complient partner but keep his mind in control. He could do a powerful Hip-Throw and ensure the Uke lands on his back, not their head. Some people I've trained with can certainly throw but lose track of the world around them in the process.
    Jigoro Kano, took centuries of Martial Tradition and improved it, while still a young fellow. FREAKING BAD ASS!!

Just my two cents, the third cents free.

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hes talking about real jiujitsu, not jujitsu LOL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 9:04pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "At some point afterward he was one of the participants in a Jiujitsu demonstration for US President Ulysses S. Grant. We only mention this because including Americans in a story geared at an American audience is always a good strategy. Plus, Grant was probably drunk out of his goddamn mind which would explain why Jiujitsu didn't really catch on in the US until many years later."

Grant, however, redeems himself by getting 1000 badass points for winning the War between the States.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 10:49am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Jiujitsu didn't really catch on in the US until many years later." - mind you There's aa couple of people thought some of the methods were a good idea....

Fairbairn & Applegate

BTW, has either Fairbairn, Applegate or both ever been given B.A.O.t.M. status?
    Just checked the search function, it seems not....?

sssurely some mistake?!!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is interesting to note that this is a very small part of a larger movie on this subject. It was made in WW2, and was directed by the Great John Ford when he worked for the movie office of the Army.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 11:51am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    It is interesting to note that this is a very small part of a larger movie on this subject. It was made in WW2, and was directed by the Great John Ford when he worked for the movie office of the Army.
    Yeah, noticed that there's a few snippets on youtube - which all seem to be from the same film....

Sorry for the slight derailment of the thread... or at the very least a detour.

So, yeah
    Jigoro Kano

badass... (do you like the smoothness of bringing the topic back there did you?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 11:42am

Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarquis View Post
    "Jiujitsu didn't really catch on in the US until many years later." - mind you There's aa couple of people thought some of the methods were a good idea....

Fairbairn & Applegate

BTW, has either Fairbairn, Applegate or both ever been given B.A.O.t.M. status?
    Just checked the search function, it seems not....?

sssurely some mistake?!!
    I love the "gentle art of murder" quote.

Made me think of this:

Requires Flash Player

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 1:05pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had to make my kids study inventors for the last few weeks of school (don't ask me why, wtf). The inventors all had to be from Asia. They had to pick from a list that included:

Momofuku Ando (the raman noodles guy)
    Alhazen (magnifying glass)
    JC Bose (radio)
    Hongzhi Emperor (toothbrush)
    Al-Jazari (robots!)
    Cai Lun (papermaking)
    Daisuke Inoue (karaoke)
    -and-
    Jigoro Kano (Judo)

Only ONE FREAKING KID in all of 7th and 8th grade thought Kano was cool enough to do a project on. And Jaylin is a blackbelt in Choi Kwang Do or some bullshit, so he didn't even think Kano was a big deal (since obviously he could beat him up or something). I should've had our resident Judo blackbelt (the kindergarden teacher) come woop some ass.

Anyways, Jigoro Kano has to lose some major badass points for getting beaten by both Momofuku Ando and Daisuke Inoue.

+ >

Dagon
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast