Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 1:28am

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh so very well said

WEll written! I concur a lot with the bullshido value, that of exposing, fake, worthless, and phony martial arts. I have seen, and visited, at least a few schools that are like that, and also some martial artists, that basically crack me up with their BS. On the flip side, simply lumping one art, or one artist (do I dare say BL, again?), into simply being worthless, I don't condone. The aikido teacher that I quoted above, is from south america, his father was a professional boxer and wrestler. When he does an aikido technique, he always "leads the mind," with a well placed punch or elbow! When he goes to Japan, to train with his school, the Japanese say, "aww. aikido for the streets." Dont' get me wrong, he is no steven segal kind of guy, he is one of the happiest martial artists I have met, and when he says that your opponent is "your friend," I believe that he truly believes that. It was when he was demonstrating an aikido technique, and I said, "that's judo," was when he says, "all the same." (I would agree, to an extent)

on the flip side, I can honestly say, that even after learning three years of aikido, and if I got in a fight (and I almost did, twice, in the last few years), that I would go for a low kick, jab, cross, knee, and/or grab and throw, and that none of the aikido techniques ever entered my mind! Maybe, however, on the flip side, I can say that maybe some of the aikido did help, as I can say, "almost" to those last two incidents, and maybe my aikido training helped me to side step, and avoid fighting those two, very angry, men! Just heard of a Krav Maga teacher in the valley, from my hapkido buddy, I think I will go and see what they have to offer! :tongue4:

Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    I don't disagree with the content of what you say but I think in the context of trying to evaluate the success of various martial arts it is necessary to examine the present day circumstances in which they exist. When the members of this website come through very supportive of things like Judo and BJJ and very critical of things like Aikido or really TMA in general despite the common ground they all share with one another it is because they identify discrepancies in the execution of the martial arts training and ideology/philosophy. It's the skill and the understanding and the intellectualism of a martial arts institution that marks a tremendously important difference we tend to associate with it's name.

All of these schools exist in the same world of martial arts however they must be distinguished by their albeit often subtle alternations in approach. I can see how you might say that all martial arts schools are the same in that perhaps they all want to achieve similar things but they do have particular ideas about how to go about doing so that you so generously laid out for us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 10:16am

Style: Judo,Muay-Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great i missed hits by like 4 months!
    BUt Jigoro Kano thank you for your gift of Kano Jujitsu
    JUDO.
    My favourite sport.
    Its teh gift that keeps on giving!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 2:02pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those interested in more on Jigoro Kano's contribution, I can recommend:
    Mind Over Muscle: Writings from the Founder of Judo, Jigoro Kan, Kodansha International - ISBN-10: 4770030150

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2010 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo and Karate-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kano Jigoro

yes, he is a great martial-artist and have done a phenomenal job of promoting judo. Over all, I have to agree that Kano-san is truly a great fighter 'bad ass'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo is Jiu jitsu

Well, a few steps removed, is one, two, three, four, from Kano to Helio.

Kind of like from Oyama to Joko Ninomiya?

Still bad ass, still takes a lot from the founder, with various refinements, particularly from Ashihara and Ninomiya

Maeda and Helio refined Judo further.

Still Judo:qmickey:
    Last edited by blugularis; 1/01/2011 7:51pm at . Reason: edit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 7:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ji defined

Ji, in Japanese Kanj, means a child.

child (chld) n. pl. chil·dren (chldrn) 1. a. A person between birth and puberty.
    b. A person who has not attained maturity or the age of legal majority.

2. a. An unborn infant; a fetus.
    b. An infant; a baby.

3. One who is childish or immature.

You might want to pay particular attention to definition number three, based on your comments.

It was a typo, actually. :tongue2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 8:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's some super obscure Japanese. You're talking about , right? Other than that I'm confused. You haven't mixed up words, have you? Jiu Jitsu is written 柔術, which is romanized by the Hepburn system as jūjutsu; if you search for a definition with the latter you'd be hard pressed to find a dictionary printed or electronic that would understand it as 柔術.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're talking about 児, right?

You got it!

Ji Jitsu, the art of being a child!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2011 12:03am