Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heath Herring On PRIDE Against UFC

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=8734&zoneid=2

Win or lose, Heath Herring will never stray from a 13-year credo: entertainment first, results second.

The “Texas Crazy Horse” has never had it easy, in Pride or the UFC. He’s faced enough top-ranked fighters for three men’s careers. The difference between the two organizations, he says, is that entertainment is job security in Japan.

“It was a whole different thing,” said Herring. “The fighters were pushed more to go out there and put on a good show. The UFC’s definitely, if you don’t win – especially with the contracts they have – they’ll cut you with a loss. So I have had to change my mentality a little bit.”
    Given the mismatches that continue to dot the Japanese scene, not much has changed.

“In Pride, I used to take fights on 10-day notice, one-week notice,” he continued. “And as long as you went out and put on a good show, you were fine. You’d be back next time. UFC’s a little different. And I think the drawback of that is that sometimes you get really boring fights. You have guys that are worried about winning; they’re not really worried about putting on a show. I think you’ve seen that in the last couple of events in the UFC, and that’s the double-edged sword.”

For much of the decade, the 31-year-old has held a spot on Top 10 heavyweight lists. He’s fallen short to the division’s elite, but had many high-profile wins, particularly in his early Pride days.
    Whatever the outcome, he believes fighting is about the show, or more aptly, the rodeo.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But i think his fights have been boring and he's lost. So i really don't get it.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's not going to last in the UFC.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 11:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree with him and it shows. UFC has clearly benched people for losses regardless of entertainment value. It leads to a conservative fighting style more than the lack of yellow cards do.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 11:19am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say, I believe the opposite - the UFC seems to me like it endlessly delays the careers of slow and steady fighters while over-promoting KO artists with questionable skillsets.

Of course, the UFC does have essentially a two-person match making body from what I can tell, so it's not as though policies are hard and fast.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 5/11/2009 11:22am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

:)

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride's fights always were so much more exciting to me. Kicking to the head on the ground stops all that lie on your back bullshit (UFC ahem). The cage might make for a more realistic, and continuous fight...but it gets fucking boring all too often.

The UFC is oversold, as far and away the best fighting action...and it's just not true. Most of my favorite all time fights were in other promotions. That and the UFC's continued intellectual dishonesty about Fedor (on who's nuts I reside) makes them look kinda high school with it.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 12:30pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there ever going to be an american promotion that operates like that?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it is easy to have exciting matches with steroids, size mismatches and the like. The fact that we have yet to see someone come in from pride and do something amzing says something about ufc fighters...that said, I do think it is to a large extent a popularity contest (i.e. Rob Emerson during the TUF season and Kendal Grove after winning TUF).
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

:)

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the size mismatches....seeing Kaoklai KO mighty mo...and fight other giants with guts was intensely entertaining for me, and inspiring. (I think that was K1, which I love(d)

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 10:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, I guess I'm just partial to not letting fighters with hepatitis fight.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast