Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 5:42am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lin Kuei

Before I get any crap out of this, NO! The people at Midway who made Mortal Kombat did NOT invent the Lin Kuei. For one thing, if you bought the special edition of either of the last games, there is bonus footage on the origins of their creating the series. When going through a segment about "MK Mythologies: Sub Zero", Pat Boon (the Noob in Noob Saibot) explains that they did alot of extensive research into Chinese and other Asian mythologies, and stumbled onto the Lin Kuei, who were similar to the ninjas. Also, there are a number of books, by Li Hsing and Leung Tring that you can check on Amazon.com which are about the Lin Kuei, and which pre-date the Mortal Kombat series (don't look at the date added, these were written before the internet was even up).

The problem is, if you do a Google Search, every fan boy and their mama already has an MK themed website up about it, essentially ruining ones chances of finding anything legit out about them. Does anyone have any hard facts? :XXbazooka

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 6:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH GOD PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE US FROM THIS HORRID ORIENTOPHILIAN TROLL!
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 7:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait im interested... didn't know lin kuei was real.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirobake
    Before I get any crap out of this, NO! The people at Midway who made Mortal Kombat did NOT invent the Lin Kuei. For one thing, if you bought the special edition of either of the last games, there is bonus footage on the origins of their creating the series. When going through a segment about "MK Mythologies: Sub Zero", Pat Boon (the Noob in Noob Saibot) explains that they did alot of extensive research into Chinese and other Asian mythologies, and stumbled onto the Lin Kuei, who were similar to the ninjas. Also, there are a number of books, by Li Hsing and Leung Tring that you can check on Amazon.com which are about the Lin Kuei, and which pre-date the Mortal Kombat series (don't look at the date added, these were written before the internet was even up).

The problem is, if you do a Google Search, every fan boy and their mama already has an MK themed website up about it, essentially ruining ones chances of finding anything legit out about them. Does anyone have any hard facts? :XXbazooka
    If you have the sources, why don't you educate us.....

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirobake

WRONG. Boon didn't invent the Lin Kuei but he did get taken in with the BULLSHIDO. If he actually did research Chinese Myths he would have found there is NO mention of Lin Kuei anywhere. Li Hsing is a alias for another white guy, probaly Kim agian, trying to cash in on a new NINJA angle. Lueng Ting was mainly writing on chinese gypsies again with a ninja spin. Given that both sprang up during the great 80s NINJA BOOM its easy to understand the BS.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 11:53am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lin Kuei

Well, there you go! See, with a little research, it turned out to be Bullshido after all, and all of us learned something. I am pretty sure that the def. of an internet troll is to provoke spastic and emotion based replies (oddly enough just like Spastic), not actual discussion. I don't own any of the books, so thats why I was looking for facts in the first place. Very well then, Lin Kuei dubbed Bullshido.

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like the MK team puts as much time and effort researching backgrounds as they do making their games.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 1:26pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alls I know is that "Lin Kuei" translates as "forest demons"(Lin=forest & Kuei=Demon). Supposedly they were China's version of the Japanese ninjas.

They were probably just common masked bandits who used fancy weapons and MA skills to mug travelers although some credit them with spreading ninjutsu to Japan and maybe to Korea(Sulsas) but t some sources indicate that ninjutsu was merely Japanese adaptions of MA training of renegade monks who traveled to Japan to escape the oppresive imperial regime of the time. But the whole thing is highly debatable of course.

There is of course some evidence of CMA influences on ninjutsu and if you read any source on this subject you'll read that ninja philosophy is heavily inspired by Chinese literature such as Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" and there were supposedly some Chinese and Korean MAs that trained in "stealth arts"(The Hwarangdo were said to have trained in stealth techniques)

Again, I'm not saying any of this is definite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 1:32pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it was a city in China....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 1:40pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a little something you might wanna check out (for some lolz of course):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I have reasons to suspect that this "Haha Lung" fellow may be another one of Ashida Kim's pseudonyms.
    Last edited by Zid; 8/19/2005 1:45pm at .
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast