Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A step in the right direction? (WC)

Hail and well met, studs! This is my first time posting here, although I have followed various threads with interest in the past few years.

I was carousing youtube looking for videos of short asian males to masturbate to, but I stumbled upon a fellow named Master Wong and his videos. Apparently, he is an instructor based in the U.K. who has experience in various martial arts. The ones that interested me, however, were his Wing Chun videos. To me, they look very promising and intriguing.

I have seen a ton of Wing Chun videos (as well as practiced it for 2 years before I had to move) which display some good sticky hands training. While I love sticky hands training, I believe it's only a part of becoming proficent in the art. You need to train in full contact scenarios (against many different styles) to properly understand REAL fighting. I cringe when I watch so called "full contact" WC sparring videos, as it always involves two guys running at each other and then launching into a fury of chain punches. The result is even worse when the WC person fights a person competent in, for example, Muay Thai. I hate chain punches and I hate styles that over use them. There is pretty much no power behind them as the people that use them in fights always end up leaning a little bit backwards (to avoid getting their head smacked off by the other guy). Not only that, but usually the punches don't even reach the other guy due to said leaning back.

On the street, against a drunk, inexpereinced opponent, the WC being taught in most schools could very well work. You don't need very much power when you strike someone in the neck/throat. Against a person who has at least some experience in boxing or other "hard" martial arts, the WC guy is going to run into a lot of trouble unless his opponent is drunk as ****.

Anyway, back to Mr. Wong. He is one of the first people I have seen videos of that do not overuse chain punches and other stupid **** in WC. While the videos are only demos and no real fights are displayed (that I have found, at least), I still think he is on to something. I'd love to go check it out personally, but I don't live in the U.K. IF they actually have full contact sparring, then this would definitely be the kind of place I would want to train at.

Here are some videos that show a bunch of demos:
    YouTube - Wing Chun Fighting Art, Part 1 Clip
    YouTube - Wing Chun Self Defence, Part 1 Clip
    YouTube - Wing Chun Biu Jee, Part 1 Clip

What say you, oh wise ones?
    Last edited by harmedd; 5/10/2009 9:41am at . Reason: suck my dick

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:33am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say off to trollshido since we have a ton of threads on this guy already. Also, really? If you know bullshido at all, people can't stand compliant demos as proof of skill.

These demos have entrapped people before and why CMA tends to suck on a regular basis.

Original Title:
    A step in the right direction? (WC)

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:34am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vids of choregraphed Wing Chun awesomeness. How about vids of them actually sparring? What you've provided looks like the same stuff we've seen from a thousand other instructors.
    安氏八极拳学生

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, really? I tried searching, but couldn't find ****. I wish I was a troll, as now I feel very embarrassed... Could someone who cares give me a link to these threads?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    Vids of choregraphed Wing Chun awesomeness. How about vids of them actually sparring? What you've provided looks like the same stuff we've seen from a thousand other instructors.
    I think you missed the point. Did you read my post?

I was not trying to make the argument that this guys pwnzors and could kill Fedor 1v1. By watching a demo video, I'd say you can get a feel for the general style of the martial art. It doesn't necessarily prove it works.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:56am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by harmedd View Post
    Did you read my post?
    Yes, it is the same as a million chun posts before it.

I was not trying to make the argument that this guys pwnzors and could kill Fedor 1v1. By watching a demo video, I'd say you can get a feel for the general style of the martial art.
    Feel involves contact. A video of actual class is much better than a demo.

It doesn't necessarily prove it works.
    Well, then why post it on bullshido? People here are all about what works. Compliant training has its place. This is a demo to show how bad ass it can be.

Yet, WC tends to look like this 99% of the time under pressure:
    YouTube - Alan Orr student Aaron in Pro MMA fight

Yeah, boxing.

Oh and submission based arts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 10:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Feel involves contact. A video of actual class is much better than a demo.

Well, then why post it on bullshido? People here are all about what works. Compliant training has its place. This is a demo to show how bad ass it can be.

YouTube - Alan Orr student Aaron in Pro MMA fight

Yeah, boxing.

Oh and submission based arts.
    It's common for WC posters to say it doesn't work, as well as express discontent at chain punching, one of the fundamental "tactics"? That's rather surprising...

The reason I posted this was because I wanted people who are very skeptical of WC to analyze the videos. Are you saying it is impossible to do any analysis of a martial art and its effectiveness without showing a real fight?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 10:16am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by harmedd View Post
    It's common for WC posters to say it doesn't work, as well as express discontent at chain punching, one of the fundamental "tactics"? That's rather surprising...
    What? I've only read a few posters that say this. Most say it is highly effective.

I wish more chunners said their art didn't work. Then they would fix it.

The reason I posted this was because I wanted people who are very skeptical of WC to analyze the videos. Are you saying it is impossible to do any analysis of a martial art and its effectiveness without showing a real fight?
    With compliant videos yes. As I just showed you, there was very little if any chun in that MMA video.

Yet, the videos you posted show all of these great and exciting uses of the Chun.

Oh and lets not play semantics.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 10:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is the reply you wrote when I asked if you had read my post.

What? I've only read a few posters that say this. Most say it is highly effective.

I wish more chunners said their art didn't work. Then they would fix it.
    In my post, I say that I hate chain punching and don't think it really works. So, how is my post a copy of all the other WC posts when you yourself admit not many people say it doesn't work?

As for the rest of your post, I guess I was being naive when I thought this would be the place to discuss it. Clearly it is not.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 10:43am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my post, I say that I hate chain punching and don't think it really works.
    What did I just say?

What? I've only read a few posters that say this.
    You said:

It's common for WC posters to say it doesn't work, as well as express discontent at chain punching,
    This is not a common statement from Wing Chun posters. The exact opposite is common. Most chunners say chain punching is overwhelming and can be a fight ender.

The videos suck. Is that what you want to hear?

You can't discuss a demo except to say hmmm, that could possibly sort of work if, you fight someone who is going to slap at your hands, kick at the ground, stop every so called attack short, and let you complete your attack.

Put Master Wong or Sifu Wong in the google search box and he will pop up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast