My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 6:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    You do realize that even with the new riules you still have to pick a branch of service to join the special forces, right?
    There is SPECIAL FORCES and SPECIAL OPERATIONS they are not the same thing. Only one branch had SPECIAL FORCES.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 9:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD & TaiJi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbines View Post
    I have a question regarding this, as I also want to be a cti. I plan on going the navy route, but I don't know if this matters or not.

Once you pass your asvab qualifier score, can you take the language test before making a commitment to your respective branch? Or do you have to be in already? My recruiter has been hazy on this subject.
    Don't ask your recruiter about it, tell him you want the test or you're not signing up. Mine tried to weasle out of it too.

As far as choice of language, at least in the AF, you get one chance, and it's a small one. When they assign your language during basic, you can with paperwork, switch with someone else in the group being assigned. If you're the only one getting it that day, or there's only a few of you and you all get the same language, you're SOL. Of course, that was 5 years ago or so.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 10:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi everyone, this thread is a bit old but this seems like the best place to ask.

I took the DLAB a couple of months ago and did... well enough. Well enough for a Cat IV language anyway. I just recently reclassified to CTI which is what I wanted to do in the first place so I'm pretty happy. Even got a nice bonus.

The first question was already answered here about language choice. I figured I'd have none, so I'm not surprised.

The second is thus. Just how strict is the background check? Some stories I've heard have me a bit spooked. I haven't had any run-ins with the law, not even a speeding ticket, but I've had my share of financial issues. No huge debt or anything like that. Overdrafts mostly, with the worst being a cellphone contract that was sent to collections. Everything is square now though. I'm just worried that I'll find out in boot that I didn't pass the check and will end up with something I will be unhappy with. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid but this is really the only thing I have going for me at the moment and would be heartbroken to find out I'm disqualified because of some seemingly minor financial mistakes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 11:26am

Style: Noob-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastHardcheese View Post
    I haven't had any run-ins with the law, not even a speeding ticket, but I've had my share of financial issues. No huge debt or anything like that. Overdrafts mostly, with the worst being a cellphone contract that was sent to collections. Everything is square now though.
    If everything is settled, you typically have a lot less to worry about. The initial investigation will turn your financial issues up in a few days, and you'll likely find out very quickly if that DQ's you. The longer part of the investigation is what peels back the hidden parts of your personal "onion" so to speak. That will likely come up in basic, though if you're in DEP for 6 months+, the investigation may finish before you ship out.

I've known a few people with past financial issues that got a clearance. Each of them had problems, but the issues were resolved prior to the investigation starting. What they tend to look for is either ongoing (read: present) problems, or a consistent pattern of irresponsible decisions on your part. Most of the issues I've seen people stumble over are defaults and judgments, not overdrafts.

Bear in mind, not all clearances are made equally. Your mileage may vary.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the note of clearances--

also, don't forget to be up front with them about everything. the only talking they did with the refrences i gave them, was get a list of friends from them.
    But i had told them everything, so there were no surprises. Same goes with all the buddies i work with. Like he said, as long as there isnt a history of irresponsible use it's cool.
    --------------

as far as air force 1a8's and military intelligence goes. i'm definatly not putting them in the same group.
    i currently work beside airborne cryptologic linguists.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234