Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 3:16pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question about Crypto Linguistics...

This is a post I made on a military forum. I am curious to hear any insight from anyone who could possibley offer advise.

"I am a graduating senior in college. I am looking into a few different things as far as what I want to do with my life.

Quite frankly, I am not in the mood for graduate school. I am looking to get out and do something. However, if I could retain at least a little bit of my intellect, that would be just dandy. Thats what got me interested in the Linguistics thing.

The Process of becoming a Cryptologic Linguist-

So let me get this straight, I gotta get a good score on my ASVAB, get a good score on a language aptitude test (over 100 in order to pick the language I want)? I go to basic training, go to language school for a year, then AIT? Then I assume I get deployed according to where ever the language I pick is needed most. Is this the gist of it?

If this much is correct I have a few other questions. Do I get a choice in the language I want? Lets pretend I get an excellent score on ASVAB and the language aptitude test, can I have it in writing that I will go to school for the language I want? Or will the army pick for me?

If I do go the Crypto-Linguist route, how long should I expect to be on active duty? I understand different jobs have different demands and some stay active longer then others."

Any thoughts from Military Bullshido members?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to score high on the ASVAB, which is easy. You also need to score well on the DLAB which is a bit more difficult. Depending on your score on that test they will fit you into a language they need filled. You will spend a good amount of time learning your language in Defense language school; it is important to know that a lot of people do fail out while learning a language and it is not always because they are not smart enough.

I have a very intelligent buddy who works with me that was working on become a Korean Linguist, was almost done with the school and he failed a hearing test because his ears could not pick up some of the specific Korean tones. They cross-trained him as a 1N0X1. Right now he is one of the top guys on the base at his job because of how sharp he is.

If you do get through the Defense language school you will most likely hit up Goodfellow in Texas for a few months of tech school then PCS to your first duty station. The Intel career field has a high deployment rate right now so keep that in mind when making your choice.

I am currently a 1N551 pulling double duty doing the 1N051 job and other assorted additional duties and I would not trade it for anything...but a Commission which I am working on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien View Post

If I do go the Crypto-Linguist route, how long should I expect to be on active duty? I understand different jobs have different demands and some stay active longer then others."
    For the term you sign-up for, 4 or 6 years respectively.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience was this: I went in looking to do something that led to Law School, got a really good ASVAB score and was imediately offered the DLI thing. I had 2 years of Russian in high school, and they were specifically looking for Russian and Arabic. Picking a language was not part of the recruitment bonus deal they were offering, so it was Russian or nothing. I was under the impression that the DLI thing in California was AIT for that MOS. I say 'was' because they caught my heart murmor at the last minute and wouldn't let me take the oath of Enlistment. They literally pulled me out of the mess hall where we were waiting to take the oath and sent me home. I was so bummed.

Other people know more about it than I but I thought I'd give my $.02. I don't think there is additional AIT after the DLI school. That is alread one of the longest schools in the Army.

Is this for the 35P military intelligence MOS or that 89G thing? I don't know anything about the latter.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 5/09/2009 11:25pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 8:22am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an Arabic Cryptolinguist. I enlisted after my senior year of college as well. What you do as a cryptolinguist is going to depend heavily upon what branch of service you go to, as well as what unit you go to within the branch.

As a rough outline that applies to any branch of service, you'll go to some kind of basic training first. After that, you'll be sent directly to DLI. Things have changed since I left about a year ago, but at least with Army and Air Force, you'll probably go through some sort of phase program where you will earn your adult privileges back. Marines and Navy, not so much. You will not get the opportunity to choose your language, though your score on the DLAB will directly affect what language you are assigned. IE if you score over a 110, you'll end up with Arabic, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, or Japanese (except you won't get Japanese).

Assuming you make it through DLI, you'll then go to AIT. Marines, Army, and Air Force all go to Goodfellow Air Force Base. The Navy tends to send people elsewhere for training. Arabic Linguists in the Navy go to Ft. Gordon for a time before they are assigned as Air, Surface, or Sea crew.

After AIT, you will either go to your unit, or head to other schools for follow on training.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Other people know more about it than I but I thought I'd give my $.02. I don't think there is additional AIT after the DLI school. That is alread one of the longest schools in the Army.
    Wrong. There is a 4-20 week AIT directly after language school, depending on your language. At least for Army, Air Force, and Marines. Again, Navy is different. Also, you have a good chance of being sent to other schools afterward.
    Is this for the 35P military intelligence MOS or that 89G thing? I don't know anything about the latter.
    There's no such thing as 89G (89D is EOD, though). The MOS code for 35P used to be 98G. They're the same thing.

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 8:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I'm an Arabic Cryptolinguist.
    You realize you just outed yourself, right?

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You realize you just outed yourself, right?
    In what way? I've posted my MOS on Bullshido more than once.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:20am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I dont get a choice in the language? That is dissapointing. I was really excited when I heard that there was an oppurtunity to learn Tagalog and Thai at the language school.

hhhmmm...

It would still be cool to be paid to learn a language. I am guessing that Farsi, Arabic, Pashtun, Urdu, and all of those things are whats commonly assigned?

Whats my chances of getting say Korean or Mandarin Chinese?

PS Thanks for the replies. I know I should talk with a recruiter but from I understand, I should arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before doing that. Not that they lie exactly, as much as they might tell me what I want to hear. Thanks for help.

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 9:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    In what way? I've posted my MOS on Bullshido more than once.
    There have been more high-profile purges of Gay soldiers in Arabic Linguistics than any other specialization in the military. It was a joke. Darling.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast