223592 Bullies, 4111 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weekend Watching: Redbelt

Compared to most of the other entries in our Weekend Watching feature, Redbelt is a fairly recent flick. Here's the official synopsis for the film, which frankly sucks:

“Tim Allen and Chiwetel Ejiofor star in writer/director David Mamet’s martial arts drama concerning a jujitsu master who becomes corrupted by the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. When a respected jujitsu master (Ejiofor) eschews a lucrative prizefighting career in favor of opening a self-defense dojo, it appears that he has chosen a peaceful path in life. The dedicated martial artist’s fate takes an unanticipated turn, however, when he is manipulated into participating in ultimate fighting championships by a group of unscrupulous actors and fight promoters. Later, as the master is being relentlessly beaten in a dirty street fight, he connects with a high-profile action star (Allen) with serious marital problems. Realizing that the only way to regain his honor is to step into the ring, the jujitsu master reluctantly prepares for the fight of his life.”

I had no idea who David Mamet was, so I had to look him up on Wikipedia. To me, the guy's name sounds like it was hand-picked to be dropped over martinis by socialites discussing films.

"Why Clarissa, did you see the new MAM-ET film? It's absolutely __(adjective)___."

Turns out he did Glengarry Glen Ross, which if you haven't seen, features a great bit of dialogue performed by Alec Baldwin as the archetypal, type-A sales person. Apparently that's Mamet's thing; realistic conversations based on how people actually talk, as opposed to the typical Hollywood "clean" dialogue.

But really, you won't watch this movie for the dialogue, you'll watch it to see Jean Jaques Machado, Randy Couture, and Dan Inosanto. The story's pretty good, but it's kind of shoved out of the way by the style of the film. If you pay enough attention to get past it though, the plot's a good spin on the standard "fighter overcoming the odds, blah blah blah, sweep the leg" template.

You can watch the trailer here.
    Last edited by Phrost; 5/09/2009 10:53am at .

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That movie sucks and blows at the same time. It has about 4 minutes of worth watching material and the rest is retarded BS and lame ass social critique in a slow played movie with no cinematography to justify the length of nothingness.
    I had the "pleasure" of watching this on my last flight to the states and I was inclined to switch to "pride and prejudges", go figure.
    My vote, go do some work out, take your girl for a dinner or just jerk off, time better spend.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    That movie sucks and blows at the same time. It has about 4 minutes of worth watching material and the rest is retarded BS and lame ass social critique in a slow played movie with no cinematography to justify the length of nothingness.
    I had the "pleasure" of watching this on my last flight to the states and I was inclined to switch to "pride and prejudges", go figure.
    My vote, go do some work out, take your girl for a dinner or just jerk off, time better spend.

OK, you talked me into it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 1:34pm

Style: fangfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Red Belt sucks

Yeah I rented it and it sucked bull balls. I did like the ending though with Enson Inoue giving up the belt, and how he hugs Dan Inosanto. Everything else about the movie sucked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 2:39pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the underlying theme of the movie, which I thought was: "The guy in the gi always wins, unless he is evil, in which case the gi turns against him and strangles him."

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 2:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, I actually liked it overall.
    While it seemed forced at times, contrived at times, I appreciated the overall sentiment of the movie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 5:07pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried explaining this movie to someone telling them how badly it sucked and how implauseable the whole thing was. As I was telling them what happens we all kept laughing because it just gets more and more ridiculous as the movie goes on.

I usually like this guys films too...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 5:25pm

Style: fangfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shmitle

When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked great. I thought it was going to be the typical martial arts movie of training,losing,training harder,winning, which is good in my book. I anticipated Red Belt to bring a touch of class to martial arts films, similar to movies like Hero or Crouching Tiger. Red Belt needed more jiujitsu and less closeup shots of the main character expressing his sad feelings over having to compromise his values.

The movie had Dan Inosanto,Enson Inoue, and Machado why not have a story that shows Guro Dan teaching the main character striking while the Machado guy teaches him jiujitsu. Enson Inoue kills Machado in a Yakuza related incident. Main character then realizes the only way to get to Inoue.....is in the ring! He trains harder under the tutelage of Inosanto to an awesome montage of his old training days with Machado. He enters the tournament destroying all the early opponents, until he meets Inoue in the finals.

Inoue shows up with a piece of Machados gi tired around his leg. After a long bout, Inoue throws dust into main characters face, blinding him. Main character stumbles for a little but then remembers doing stick fighting in the dark with Guro Dan and RNC's Inoue and breaks his neck.. Guro Dan gives main character Machados old red belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 6:17pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is one of my favorite MA movies. The ending with Inosanto made me cry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 6:21pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *SPOILER*

I think they couldve gone without the cop killing himself.Maybe attempt suicide, but when he died it killed the flow of the film. I loved the speech about BJJ though. About how there is always an opening. I have heard BJJ guys say it all the time and it was even a speech on last seasons TUF. When comparing wrestling vs BJJ, Vinny was saying how if a wrestler comes up against a wall he will just smash through it, a BJJ guy comes up against a wall, he simply finds the door.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast