Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So then it could have nothing to do with the fact that the bullet traps in most indoor ranges are very expensive and it only takes one person with the wrong ammunition to ruin the trap?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 3:37pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tedk View Post
    So then it could have nothing to do with the fact that the bullet traps in most indoor ranges are very expensive and it only takes one person with the wrong ammunition to ruin the trap?
    correct. in a lot of states, steel core is illegal. i dont think a lot of people go to the range to shoot their SC. I think they have it so they can shoot FBI engine blocks. The firing range doesnt like it for 2 reasons. one it is FAR cheaper then the ammo they sell. two they cant reload it, to make the ammo they sell, at high prices. I have had ranges tell me how dangerous it is to shoot wolf out of my gun. anything from its so dirty it will foul your gun to the casses split inside the gun. i have shot atleast 2500 wolf rounds through my 1911 without a single problem. it shoots fine, and its cheap. sure it makes the gun dirty, all ammo does. thats why you clean your gun when you get home. i have shot 500 rounds in a sitting without any problems to the gun

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tedk View Post

Well, which is a range owner far more likely to have fired on his range? Expensive tungsten carbide cored ammo stolen from the military, or Wolf?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 8:31pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Well, which is a range owner far more likely to have fired on his range? Expensive tungsten carbide cored ammo stolen from the military, or Wolf?
    Exactly, Wounded Ronin. Sure it could happen, some one could also bring in incendiary ammo. But that's not why they don't like it. It's because they cant compete with the selling point, and they cant make money off the brass. That's it.... That's really all their is to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 2:55pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most indoor range backstops are going to be 1/4" steel plating. This will deflect pretty much any handgun caliber's lead bullets, and also jacketed lead bullets.

Steel core bullets, though, might pose a problem in terms of generating more wear and tear on them, primarily in the form of small chips.

Pulling out those plates, and replacing / repairing them is a big PITA for any range owner, so anything you can reasonably do to reduce wear and tear will also help save you some $$$ in the long run as an owner.

The magnet check test, though, isn't a surefire tell-all, since there are magnetically sensitive bullet jackets out there, that cover a conventional lead bullet.

I bought a couple boxes of Sellier and Bellot's 115 grain FMJ, that came in red and grey boxes (as opposed to the yellow, green, and grey boxes for the copper jacketed stuff), and these cartridges have steel jackets on them. The steel, though, is a very soft and mild steel, incapable of doing any more damage to a backstop than a conventionally copper clad bullet.

Still, you should have seen the look on the range operator's face when he saw the bright silver-colored, steel jacketed bullet, and then saw the jacket stick to the magnet. He said "no way in Hell!"

I let him pull one part, and saw the bullet in half, to re-assure him, and after he saw that it was, indeed, a thin, mild steel jacket over a soft lead core, he gave me the go-ahead to shoot with this ammo.

I'll have to dig through my ammo boxes, but I do believe that I still have some of these rounds left. I'll try to post some pics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 5:27pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to give my range's reason for the magnet test. It's not just steel core but the steel jackets can create sparks supposedly. Apparently it's started fires with all the excess gun powder downrange. I don't know if this is true though.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12