Sponsored Links Spacer Image

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Please to be explaining WAMMA, M1 Global, Affliction, Dream, Sengoku, etc.?

So, I used to watch Pride. After it died, I basically quit watching all Japanese MMA and stuck to the UFC/WEC brand. Also, elite XC when it was on CBS, until it too died.

Affliction didn't interest me much, except for Fedor. And I never paid attention to Dream, the Pride rip-off (as I percieved it) until word reached my ear of an amazing grappler by the name of (Japanese announcer voice) AOKIIIIIIII SHIIIIIIINYAAAAA!!!! Needless to say I am hooked.

However, now that I have started paying attention, I am hopelessly lost in the jumble of alphabet soup that is MMA outside of the UFC. All these orgs seem to be different, but related. Now I understand that, outside of the UFC, other orgs allow their fighters to fight for different promotions, but it appears there is some crossover/joint ownership too.

Denizens of bullshido, aid me in my laziness! Do not force me to wade through pages of Wikipedia to answer these questions for myself. 'Splain it to me!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:00pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WAMMA: not a fight promotion. Simply an organization that has made up a belt for the best fighter in "MMA". However, they say MMA, but in reality it's just "non-ufc", and MMA without UFC is just retarded.

M1Global - Midlevel promotion run by some Russians and Monte Cox I believe... nothing big happens in here.

affliction: american promotion that has held 2 shows and will probably quit after their third. they're putting on big fights with many of the top ranked non and ex ufc fighters.... but it's not going to last. fedor's fought his last 2 fights here.

Strikeforce: Very well run promotion that has some really great talent, and has put on a lot of great fights. Arguably tied for #2 in NA with the WEC.

Now... japan's boys:

DREAM -- This is really just K1Heroes under a different name. They've arguably got the higher ranked talent from japan (most of the pride and k1heroes stars). They've had a LW and MW tournament won controversially by hansen at lw(losing to alvarez in the quarters, but replacing alvarez in the finals to fight aoki), and mousasi at mw(upsetting jacare in the finals with a huge upkick KO). Also note: hansen is still the lw champ, but mousasi has vacated and is moving to 205. jacare is rematching mayhem miller for the 185 title (jacare defeated mayhem in the quarterfinals of the tourney).

Also dream is currently holding a 145, a 170, and a "hulk" tourney this year. Big names in the 145 remaining include kid yamamoto, masakazu imanari, and bibiano fernandes, and in the ww tourney you've got andre galvao and mach sakurai among the semifinalists. The hulk tourney is ridiculous featuring mousasi vs mark hunt, bob sapp vs minowa, hong man choi vs jose canseco (no that's not a typo), and sokoudjou vs jan nortje.

World victory Road: Promotes events titled Sengoku. These guys get their fighters mostly from Shooto in Japan and get American guys who are good -- but haven't yet been picked up by the UFC. Last year they had a 155 tournament DOMINATED by satoru kitaoka (who is now ranked top 10 by most people), and a MW tournament also dominated by jorge santiago (top 10 now). Kitaoka defeated gomi for the newly created 'sengoku lw title', and santiago defeated kazuo misaki for the 'sengoku mw title'.

also, sengoku is holding a 145 tourney this year, the big names left in it are omigawa, marlon sandro, and hatsu hioki.

Conclusion: DREAM is more like PRIDE, sengoku is more like strikeforce. Dream has put on the bigger fights, but sengoku is trying to build up lesser known guys and is actually doing a fantastic job.

I watch everything there is to watch when it comes to MMA, and both are very far away from the UFC -- but they're both doing a really good job.
    Last edited by v1y; 5/09/2009 9:08pm at .

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dream is actually made up of the same people who ran Pride.

I don't know why you say nothing big happens in M-1. Fedor fights, the return of the Phenom, big names like Barnette, Arlovski, Babalu, Lindlin all fight there as well as some other UFC washouts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm pretty sure affliction is pretty damn seperate from m-1.

adrenaline and m-1 are interlinked though.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You could have fooled me.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 10:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xande Riberio fights in Sengoku.

2-0.

both by TKO.

SRJJA ftw

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 8:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See? This is exactly the kind of confusing stuff I'm talking about. M1 is tied to Affliction, but has it's own promotions (M1 Challenge)? Or is M1 to Affliction as Zuffa is to UFC? And WAMMA is just a ranking org? But they don't include UFC in their rankings? Do they include WEC fighters?

Also Dream is the guys from K1? I thought they were the (company) guys from Pride, hence the name Dream. But Sengoku (which is really World Victory Road, no?) is also former guys from Pride, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WAMMA is just a ranking org that does include ufc fighters -- but the ufc doesn't recognize their legitimacy at all. So Anderson Silva is #1 at mw, and gsp is #1 at ww, but they aren't considered the "wamma champions".

DREAM has taken a lot of the fighters from pride but dream itself is just k1's brand of mma (which as i stated used to be called k1 heros)

sengoku has some of the pride guys (like gomi), but they don't have nearly as many big names. they've spent their time building up their own stars (in 2007 it was really all about kitaoka, santiago, and muhammad lawal)

and i guess i don't fully understand the relationship between m-1 and affliction... but then again i don't think anyone understands affliction's relationship with anyone. (for instance, i'm pretty sure affliction paid trump to use his name for their second event)

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 11:38am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M-1 is a truly global MMA organization, and does tons of it's own european(and I think african) fights. Affliction is a hybrid monstrosity with personnel from affliction, money from trump, promotion by golden boy, and probably the still-beating heart of a virgin on the day she first knew true love.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DREAM has taken a lot of the fighters from pride but dream itself is just k1's brand of mma (which as i stated used to be called k1 heros)
    Ah, see now I thought "Dream" was from Dream Stage Entertainment which was the company behind Pride? I had no idea there was a relationship with K1.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast