218357 Bullies, 4189 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 24
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Zendetta is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,681

    Posted On:
    5/10/2009 12:12pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    My mother was hell on wheels with a handgun. .45 was not too much for her and she's a fair bit smaller than you. I bought her a Charter Arms 44 special that's loaded with Glaser rounds for home defence. She's 71.

    Go buy the 1911.
    My mom is a mild-mannered, retired english teacher.

    But she just got her CCW permit. Cool moms are awesome; you just reminded me to call mine and wish her a happy Mother's Day.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."
  2. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Posted On:
    5/10/2009 12:59pm

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta View Post
    My mom is a mild-mannered, retired english teacher.

    But she just got her CCW permit. Cool moms are awesome; you just reminded me to call mine and wish her a happy Mother's Day.
    Heh, nice to know my thread is bolstering your memory.

    FYI, I still plan to visit the range before I buy...I don't want to depend on my ability to find someone who will pay my cost plus shipping if I don't like it.
  3. pakuakid is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8

    Posted On:
    5/10/2009 5:03pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought myself one of these a few years back and its a good pistol.Only 2 complaints I have with it are 1) The stock grips seriously suck.Mine were very slick and I found the Hogue grips were a world of difference. 2) The sights on the GI version are tiny. Outside of those two things I have nothing bad to say about this gun it's never given me any problems.
  4. Knave is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    221

    Posted On:
    5/11/2009 2:04am


     Style: bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

    "If I could afford a Benelli or Saiga 12 right now, it might be a different story. But I can't."

    IMO, saiga 12 would be a bad home defense shotgun. Even after converting mine, replacing the gas tappet, replacing the gas plug, replacing the main spring, and modifying my magazines, I still wouldn't trust it in a life or death situation. I'd take my 870 over it any day.
  5. adouglasmhor is offline
    adouglasmhor's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glasgow, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,496

    Posted On:
    5/11/2009 2:44am


     Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Thanks for the replies thus far.

    Phrost, as much as I respect your opinion, a shotgun is out of the question due to my balance problems. Pretty much the easiest way to knock me down, especially as stiff as I would be in the middle of the night, is to give me a decent push at my shoulder (the right would take a decent push; you could yell at my left shoulder and make me fall).

    I am still weighing the financial aspect, but I've got some hours yet on those auctions.

    Would I be able to fire the weapon immediately after picking it up at the range, or would it need to be taken home and cleaned first?
    20 gauge, you wouldn't even feel it and it would still do the job, cartridges are slightly dearer though.
  6. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Posted On:
    5/11/2009 12:54pm

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick update, I just got back from the range. I fired Winchester USA 230 grain from a Colt Mark IV/70 Series Government.

    More to come later, possibly including a picture of the target.
  7. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Posted On:
    5/11/2009 3:16pm

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only fired 20 rounds because I wasn't feeling well when I arrived, and I got tired quickly from standing around that much (I sat down for a few minutes at something like the 14 round mark). That said, the recoil wasn't unpleasant and I'm sure I can learn to control it better in the future.

    I used a really lazy modified Weaver stance firing from ~30 feet. In fact, I didn't even remember the push/pull aspect until the middle of the second magazine.

    Attached are a few pictures of the target. Sorry for the blurring; my camera doesn't have image stabilization and my hands are shaky. I have included a few close-ups of groups.

    There are a few things to note about the target:
    1. I swear that gun didn't shoot straight. I aimed straight at the the center, with my sights level, and shot high and to the left.
    2. Speaking of high and left, look left near the shoulder area (the target guy's right shoulder). Those are my first three shots (in one wide hole). After the first shot the range officer said "you're shooting high and left, try to correct it." After the second shot the range officer said "well, at least you're consisent." After the third shot, the range officer said "wow."
    3. There was at least one flier (my fourth shot).
    4. All my shots after the first three were an attempt to compensate for the "high and left" issue.
    5. As I became tired, my shots starting hitting low and left. Notice the grouping in that area.
    Suggested viewing order of the pictures is RangeTarget1, RangeTarget2, RangeTargetTriple, RangeTargetDouble, TiredGroup2, TiredGroup1.

    Once this posts, I'm going to buy the Rock Island and the previously listed accessories.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-RangeTarget1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	10070  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-RangeTargetTriple.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	10071  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-RangeTargetDouble.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	10072  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-RangeTargetTiredGroup2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	10073  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-RangeTargetTiredGroup1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	10074  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911-RangeTarget2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	512.9 KB 
ID:	10075  

  8. IMightBeWrong is offline
    IMightBeWrong's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,062

    Posted On:
    5/11/2009 3:36pm


     Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34 View Post
    If you are dead set on a pistol, a Glock in .40 will serve you better with a higher ammo capacity and good stopping power.
    It'd also leave him with the same carry weapon as me. My 23 gets more use than any of my other handguns nowadays.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
  9. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Posted On:
    5/11/2009 3:46pm

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    It'd also leave him with the same carry weapon as me. My 23 gets more use than any of my other handguns nowadays.
    I don't intend to carry my weapon anywhere other than to the range, and it'll be packed at that.

    Funny thought now that I look at the bottom two pictures...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas' commentary at least once in every fight
    He should go for the liver shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

    What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

    That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
  10. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Posted On:
    5/11/2009 10:55pm

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I won the auction.

    It feels pretty strange to have this done after all this time. In fact, I almost feel like I've done something wrong (no, I'm not surrounded by anti-gun types).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.