5/10/2009 12:12pm, #11
5/10/2009 12:59pm, #12
5/10/2009 5:03pm, #13
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
I bought myself one of these a few years back and its a good pistol.Only 2 complaints I have with it are 1) The stock grips seriously suck.Mine were very slick and I found the Hogue grips were a world of difference. 2) The sights on the GI version are tiny. Outside of those two things I have nothing bad to say about this gun it's never given me any problems.
5/11/2009 2:04am, #14
- Join Date
- Oct 2004
"If I could afford a Benelli or Saiga 12 right now, it might be a different story. But I can't."
IMO, saiga 12 would be a bad home defense shotgun. Even after converting mine, replacing the gas tappet, replacing the gas plug, replacing the main spring, and modifying my magazines, I still wouldn't trust it in a life or death situation. I'd take my 870 over it any day.
5/11/2009 2:44am, #15
5/11/2009 12:54pm, #16
Quick update, I just got back from the range. I fired Winchester USA 230 grain from a Colt Mark IV/70 Series Government.
More to come later, possibly including a picture of the target.
5/11/2009 3:16pm, #17
I only fired 20 rounds because I wasn't feeling well when I arrived, and I got tired quickly from standing around that much (I sat down for a few minutes at something like the 14 round mark). That said, the recoil wasn't unpleasant and I'm sure I can learn to control it better in the future.
I used a really lazy modified Weaver stance firing from ~30 feet. In fact, I didn't even remember the push/pull aspect until the middle of the second magazine.
Attached are a few pictures of the target. Sorry for the blurring; my camera doesn't have image stabilization and my hands are shaky. I have included a few close-ups of groups.
There are a few things to note about the target:
- I swear that gun didn't shoot straight. I aimed straight at the the center, with my sights level, and shot high and to the left.
- Speaking of high and left, look left near the shoulder area (the target guy's right shoulder). Those are my first three shots (in one wide hole). After the first shot the range officer said "you're shooting high and left, try to correct it." After the second shot the range officer said "well, at least you're consisent." After the third shot, the range officer said "wow."
- There was at least one flier (my fourth shot).
- All my shots after the first three were an attempt to compensate for the "high and left" issue.
- As I became tired, my shots starting hitting low and left. Notice the grouping in that area.
Once this posts, I'm going to buy the Rock Island and the previously listed accessories.
5/11/2009 3:36pm, #18
5/11/2009 3:46pm, #19
5/11/2009 10:55pm, #20
Well, I won the auction.
It feels pretty strange to have this done after all this time. In fact, I almost feel like I've done something wrong (no, I'm not surrounded by anti-gun types).