228380 Bullies, 3954 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 24
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:15am


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Rock Island 1911: To Be, or Not to Be

    Last night I ran a search and read every thread in the Armory which mentioned Rock Island. Most of them were a couple of years old, so I'm looking for something like a summary judgment from you all. There are a number of them on GunBroker in auctions ending tonight, and after almost three years of "I'm going to buy a gun for home defense" I'm very tempted to finally have the issue handled.

    The thing is, I've never fired a 1911 or even 45ACP. My handgun shooting experience is limited to a GLOCK 19 rental at the range (firing 115gr Federal American Eagle) and my father's 38 Special Rossi (firing some odd weight stuff the range sold).

    Should I be concerned about the recoil from 45ACP as compared to those calibers, in terms of strength of impulse?

    Is it safe to say that a combination of arm strengthening and proper technique could definitely help me tame the beast (I'm 5'7" and 135 pounds of out of shape, spastic meat with bad balance)?

    The purchase would be a pretty big hit to my bank balance, and my income is essentially non-existent, but with the economy in the tank it looks like the criminal element is starting to notice us semi-rural folk.

    Anyway, I'm only interested in opinions on the Rock Island 1911 (full size) and 1911s as a first gun. If any of you are tempted to mention my finances, you're welcome to donate some money via PayPal. :pity:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

    What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

    That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
  2. Wounded Ronin is offline
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar

    ...is THE PENETRATOR

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,815

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 10:06am

    supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A 1911 is extremely well behaved because it's heavy, and I personally find that .45 ACP is way easier to control than 9mm. This is because 9mm out of something like a Glock tends to recoil hard and sharp, whereas .45 ACP out of a 1911 is more like a steady, friendly shove. With .45 ACP and its predictable, relaxing, and gentle felt recoil, I find my sights dropping exactly back on target after firing.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
  3. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,115

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 10:55am

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotgun for home defense.

    RIA are decent .45s. They used to be even cheaper (as low as $299 at one point). My brother has one, with a lot of customizations and it's about as perfect of a handgun as you can get except for the limited ammo capacity.
  4. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 12:23pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies thus far.

    Phrost, as much as I respect your opinion, a shotgun is out of the question due to my balance problems. Pretty much the easiest way to knock me down, especially as stiff as I would be in the middle of the night, is to give me a decent push at my shoulder (the right would take a decent push; you could yell at my left shoulder and make me fall).

    I am still weighing the financial aspect, but I've got some hours yet on those auctions.

    Would I be able to fire the weapon immediately after picking it up at the range, or would it need to be taken home and cleaned first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

    What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

    That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
  5. Zendetta is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,681

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 2:40pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shoot one at the range and I fucking love it.

    Funny thing, I just missed a gun show at cow palace, and was just this morning thinking about how I "should have gone and picked up a cheap Rock Island .45"

    Weird Coincidence.

    Shooting well with this gun seems effortless. I am NOT an especially talented shooter. I'm nearsighted and my hands shake from years of drug abuse (not really). But for some reason, I can really dial it in with this gun, especially without using the sights - I can point-n-shoot with it like nothing I've used. Last time I shot one I felt like Chow Yun Fat in a John Woo film, or some ****.


    Short version: get one, mang.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."
  6. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 5:54pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to get it, but not tonight. I figure I'd better get to the range and fire a 1911 before I purchase. I should be able to get to the range in the next couple of weeks, maybe even a couple of days.

    I plan on getting some accessories to go with the 1911 (from a different place) when I get it:
    1. Wilson Combat 18.5 pound recoil spring
    2. HKS magazine loader
    3. Chip McCormick 8 round magazine (not the PowerMag)
    4. Hogue rubber grip with finger grooves (not the slide on)

    I am not looking to dress it, at least not yet, so the only other things I might add are a beaver tail and a bobbed hammer in case of bite.
  7. IMightBeWrong is offline
    IMightBeWrong's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,074

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 6:02pm


     Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotguns are great for home defense, but for my home defense plan I use a .45 myself. Shotguns are deafeningly loud indoors which could throw one off in a home defense situation, plus my practiced skills with a handgun beat out my practiced skills with a shotgun by a long shot. I'd trust myself with it more because I have more practice with it, its very maneuverable, and I don't need to break between shots to manually work the action.

    If I could afford a Benelli or Saiga 12 right now, it might be a different story. But I can't.

    Edit: I forgot to mention, RIA 1911s are great. I know a few owners of them that all love them. They seem pretty affordable, too.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
  8. HonkyTonkMan is offline
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar

    Y SO SRIUS?

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,434

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 6:15pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is my two cents.

    As a first gun for protection/CCW a .45 is an iffy thing.
    The trouble is that they have to be cocked and locked. Depending on how much handgun time you have this could be dangerous.
    While the 1911 style shoots VERY well, (easily handled recoil, accuracy and power) it does have the drawbacks.
    The limited ammo capacity is always distressing, even with Chips mags you are at 8 rounds.
    Phrost had it right when he suggested the Shotgun. You can get a Scattergun Technologies with an 8 round tube for the same price. add a pump handle to the slide and your worries about racking it will disappear. 00buck or even 000 buck is a better man stopper and requires less accuracy.

    As for the sound. You ever shoot a .45 in a house? I have fired both (Colt 1911 and a 12 gauge Shot) in a house and neither is louder (discernably) than the other.
    Flash is a consideration but if you are worried about that there is an easy fix.
    Simply leave a light on down the hall from where you sleep. This will give you an advantage since the lights will be off in your area of the house and there wont be a shot placed in total darkness.
    Assailants will be looking from light to darkness, and you will be looking from darkness into a lower light area. This way you also avoid the "bright light phenomenon".


    If you are dead set on a pistol, a Glock in .40 will serve you better with a higher ammo capacity and good stopping power.
  9. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 7:42pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the thought and time put into that post, Oldman, but in the end I'm sticking by my decision (unless firing the 1911 changes my mind). A shotgun really is totally out of the question.

    The low capacity of the 1911 doesn't bother me at all, since I'm looking for a magazine capacity of 10 rounds or less anyway (so my gun will be legal in Canada, in case I can make a move to Montreal happen).

    If the 1911 proves too much for me, then I'll have to save up for a GLOCK 17.
  10. hungryjoe is offline
    hungryjoe's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,407

    Posted On:
    5/09/2009 8:07pm

    supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Thanks for the thought and time put into that post, Oldman, but in the end I'm sticking by my decision (unless firing the 1911 changes my mind). A shotgun really is totally out of the question.

    The low capacity of the 1911 doesn't bother me at all, since I'm looking for a magazine capacity of 10 rounds or less anyway (so my gun will be legal in Canada, in case I can make a move to Montreal happen).

    If the 1911 proves too much for me, then I'll have to save up for a GLOCK 17.
    My mother was hell on wheels with a handgun. .45 was not too much for her and she's a fair bit smaller than you. I bought her a Charter Arms 44 special that's loaded with Glaser rounds for home defence. She's 71.

    Go buy the 1911.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.