Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 222829303132 3334353642 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 1:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It must be the blood oath he refered to a few posts back.

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 3:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    It must be the blood oath he refered to a few posts back.
    Again as an unbiased reader, I say this smells of larping to high heaven.
    Doesn't mark his background as illegit, but makes me highly suspicious nontheless.

In addition, there is absolutely no logical reason for anyone to hide their training background as long as they are legit (as many legit instructors have already proven on this forum countless times.) Yet further evidence to make Mr. DeRenzo seem a bit dodgy and suspicious IMO.

I am quite curious to see what our friendly visitor encounters at Mr. DeRenzo's dojo. Until then, I too would hold off on formulating strong opinions one way or another.

Just to note, if the "scrolls" happen to be in Japanese, there are several members on thsi board, myself included (to an extent) that can assist with the translation.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 3:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
    In addition, there is absolutely no logical reason for anyone to hide their training background as long as they are legit (as many legit instructors have already proven on this forum countless times.) Yet further evidence to make Mr. DeRenzo seem a bit dodgy and suspicious IMO.
    There you go. You added the caveat to my statement.

There is a legit and logical reason not to divulge your true training.

I actually think he is legit. Now rember, I studies Shaolin-Do and can prove that I was an instructor. So, legit depends on what you are asking.

I think he got scared because, some of his other claims and connections are dubious. We saw what happened with the H.P. claim. We also noticed what happen with the "correction" of the Aikijujutsu claim.

I am quite curious to see what our friendly visitor encounters at Mr. DeRenzo's dojo. Until then, I too would hold off on formulating strong opinions one way or another.

Just to note, if the "scrolls" happen to be in Japanese, there are several members on thsi board, myself included (to an extent) that can assist with the translation.
    Yep I agree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think you might have missed the point here

Doug,

The whole point here was that you started a thread about yourself and then were upset when people asked you about with whom you trained.

It wasn't the piece of paper because there are many people that I trained with for years and never recieved any rank.

If someone asked me who I trained with(or still do) its a simple asnwer.

Many people don't like one style or another for different reasons. I have a bad knee, kicking styles aren't the best option for me.

Also, no one here questioned your skills because no one has experience in what you do.

The problem was when asked, you lied and then gave names that no one could vailidate.

I was not making threats to you or judgements about your abilities or your school. I have no first hand knowledge so I am not qulaified to do so.

I am simply baffled by your avoiding simple questions about your lineage or making references to me as "similar" when our systems are clearly unrelated.

Once again, you may be a very talented martial artist, I don't know, but I would never drag someone I met once into a discussion when you don't know how they would react.

I have said all I am going to because I really don't care to continue this anymore.

I have to go train.

Best of luck,

Howard

PS - to the Bullshido guys, I really need to thank you for being so thorough in your investigations. The people who called me were polite, respectful , but really wanted to get to the heart of the matter, so THANKS !

Train hard !

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 5:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popkin View Post
    Doug,

The whole point here was that you started a thread about yourself and then were upset when people asked you about with whom you trained.

It wasn't the piece of paper because there are many people that I trained with for years and never recieved any rank.

If someone asked me who I trained with(or still do) its a simple asnwer.

Many people don't like one style or another for different reasons. I have a bad knee, kicking styles aren't the best option for me.

Also, no one here questioned your skills because no one has experience in what you do.

The problem was when asked, you lied and then gave names that no one could vailidate.

I was not making threats to you or judgements about your abilities or your school. I have no first hand knowledge so I am not qulaified to do so.

I am simply baffled by your avoiding simple questions about your lineage or making references to me as "similar" when our systems are clearly unrelated.

Once again, you may be a very talented martial artist, I don't know, but I would never drag someone I met once into a discussion when you don't know how they would react.

I have said all I am going to because I really don't care to continue this anymore.

I have to go train.

Best of luck,

Howard

PS - to the Bullshido guys, I really need to thank you for being so thorough in your investigations. The people who called me were polite, respectful , but really wanted to get to the heart of the matter, so THANKS !

Train hard !
    My point exactly Howard. I would never make judgements on someones abilities or school without seeing it, and yet this is what happens here. I started this thing to alert people and to get them to see that it wrong.
    Again, I compared our styles as a ficticious poster, not as myself. As for Bullshido's "thorough" investigation, I did not receive a visit from anyone to see my classes . What passes as an investigation, some people Googling or examining my website? Demands to produce a piece of paper?
    My abilities as a teacher or martial artist cannot be judged by that,nor anyone elses. This post is not supposed to be about me, it was twisted that way by Bullshido. I see now that it was a waste of effort to try to get posters here to stop the insults and such. No one of importance looks at this crap anyway. John Yuan, my San Da teacher and good friend, is alive and well and teaching in NYC. He has a website. Master Bryhan is my weapons instructor since 1987. He has no website, but if you wish to meet him or have him give a demonstration, I can arrange it. Darel Chase gave me some techniques and ranking. What is false there? I told the wonderfully impolite posters of Bullshido that there is no info on my other teachers, that is not sufficient for them. On the bright side, I did get 3 nice people to join my class. And, I haven't seen much of your system either, but I would not say they are dissimilar, not without further study.
    I teach a soft style,albeit with perhaps more atemi than yours. Anyway, no harm,no foul for you. This added a little "adventure" to life. My offer still stands for that demonstration, or stop by one night. My door is always open to friends. Doug

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 6:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sten View Post
    My point exactly Howard. I would never make judgements on someones abilities or school without seeing it, and yet this is what happens here. I started this thing to alert people and to get them to see that it wrong.
    Again, I compared our styles as a ficticious poster, not as myself. As for Bullshido's "thorough" investigation, I did not receive a visit from anyone to see my classes . What passes as an investigation, some people Googling or examining my website? Demands to produce a piece of paper?
    My abilities as a teacher or martial artist cannot be judged by that,nor anyone elses. This post is not supposed to be about me, it was twisted that way by Bullshido. I see now that it was a waste of effort to try to get posters here to stop the insults and such. No one of importance looks at this crap anyway. John Yuan, my San Da teacher and good friend, is alive and well and teaching in NYC. He has a website. Master Bryhan is my weapons instructor since 1987. He has no website, but if you wish to meet him or have him give a demonstration, I can arrange it. Darel Chase gave me some techniques and ranking. What is false there? I told the wonderfully impolite posters of Bullshido that there is no info on my other teachers, that is not sufficient for them. On the bright side, I did get 3 nice people to join my class. And, I haven't seen much of your system either, but I would not say they are dissimilar, not without further study.
    I teach a soft style,albeit with perhaps more atemi than yours. Anyway, no harm,no foul for you. This added a little "adventure" to life. My offer still stands for that demonstration, or stop by one night. My door is always open to friends. Doug

You know Doug, you seem indignant about a fight that, as Fake put it, you started. Heres the thing: Bad teachers and bad students are all over the place in the martial arts. Where you are located is a state (or a cesspool) known as New Jersey... ever heard of it? In this high tax haven they actually want to start licensing fees for martial artists... their excuse? "martial arts is an unregulated industry."

Would you prefer the state to tell you what you can and cannot teach in the dojo? When an industry does not regulate itself there is a danger that regulation will occur elsewhere. This place is an example of people stepping up and trying to take some responsability that way. If consumers don't do this and if teachers don't support them then you will have a lot more to cry the victim role about.

When you start throwing names around and put material up for scrutiny you put yourself out there... most people get put in that position because they did something which might have been a misrepresentation or fraud.... you asked for it.

I don't see why you can cry foul under those circumstances. Imo Howard is a nice guy who chose to have a positive perspective about events andsimply asked you to take some responsability for doing a stupid thing.
    You won't do it instead choosing to blame this place for your lack of good judgement. That says volumes about your ability to teach imo. The irony is that what you actually did was silly, it was not egrarious... we have had people on these threads who abused students and all kinds of frauds perpetuated that cost people money and time.... yet you want to blow this up and then put the blame on others. That is pathetic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 6:42pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu/BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *deleted because I am an idiot*

Jeff Cook
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 6/22/2009 6:48pm at .

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 6:45pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff, er, too close to too much artillery?

[Obi wan]

This isn't the thread you're looking for....

[/Obi wan]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Mr. DeRenzo, first, thank you for your service. I am still on active duty (Army), and hit 21 years this last March.

In regards to the DD 214 request, NPRC will not send it to a third party without first blacking-out your SSN. You have nothing to worry about regarding signing an SF 180 for a third party; you send it in with an envelope with the third-party's address, they mail it to the third party with privacy act info blacked-out. Your stated reason for not allowing someone here to verify your service with a 214 is unfounded. Also, the pretty discharge cert suitable for framing, signed by a general, cannot and is not used by ANYBODY to verify military service. Only the 214 and/or a 22 is. It is simply too easy to purchase one fraudulently. I am not implying that you did; just giving you the benefit of my knowledge and experience in these matters.

To satisfy the folks here about your military service, why not just scan and email/post a copy of your 214 with your privacy act info blacked out? That should solve that issue easily. To everyone else, Mr. DeRenzo is correct; a photocopy of a 214 is usually suitable for proof of military service for many organizations and businesses. Sometimes they require an NCO, officer, or notary to verify it is a "True and Correct Copy," but not always.

Another correction: National Guard service (not on active duty) is verified on an NGB Form 22, not a DD Form 215 as you said in another post (a 215 is used to correct errors on a 214). It does include a roll-up of all active time as well as IDT time though. Any periods of active duty in the course of an NG Soldier's career will be documented on separate DD 214's. The final discharge will be rolled-up on the NGB 22.

How do you manage to teach and practice judo with two leg braces, a back brace, and a TBI?

Jeff Cook

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 6:49pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu/BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doh! Good lord, Yes! I was a field artilleryman for years; am ADA now. Damn! I am embarrassed! DeRenzo, my apologies as well. I will now go search for the correct thread, with my tale between my legs....Yoj, thanks for unscrewing my head out of my ass.

Jeff Cook

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 6:53pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries Jeff, just trying to help out.