Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:59pm

Style: Anything Goes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sten View Post
    Ok, let's get a few things straight. I apologized for using your name in order to get Bullshido to respond. My training history is available to all of my students. If someone wishes to learn more, they may ask me personally, not demand ,as this website does. I, nor anyone else, has to justify themselves on some internet site. I made up no organizations. I have diplomas to prove my training history. Want to see them,you all know where I am. Anyone want to truly judge my abilities, you know where to find me.Want to see "alive" sparring, step onto my mat. My whole point here is to show,as this conversation right now is doing , is that nothing can be learned over a keyboard. If someone wants to learn if a school is good ,go see for yourself, don't take the words of some stranger on a webpost. When I came to your class, I didn't look at your credentials, I looked at your abilities. A piece of paper tells me nothing. This whole Bullshido site exists because anyone can have a piece of paper. If there was less insult and more serious investigation or research, it would be a great site. Unfortunately,many people with nothing better to do than insult people, populate this site.
    If my posting here made some people think twice before writing negative falsehoods or baseless insults, then it served its purpose. I really do not care what anyone other than my family and students think. I swore oaths
    to protect innocents. I intend to keep them. Feel free to visit me if you want. Doug
    So, basically, you say it's unwise for anyone to trust pieces of paper, but you want us to trust your techniques and training on the basis of your diplomas. In other words, pieces of paper mean nothing unless they're yours.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just reading what you wrote.

See, pieces of paper are really the core of the problem here. I don't know if you've been following the Matthew Morton thread - Mathew Morton - No BS Martial Arts - but he used those silly little pieces of paper to justify a certain level of quality. And paper wouldn't be such a big deal here, except that teachers use these to sell students on their qualifications. Qualifications that, as you said, can only be tested in person.

The crux of the issue, however, is that a new student who is untrained or inexperienced has no means of accurately judging your skill. You can do cartwheel kicks and all that and wow the student, but he isn't sold on the validity of the technique. He is sold based on your conviction in it and his own ignorance.

Bullshido's intention is to make sure that stuff like that doesn't happen. It's not perfect, but it's not too shabby. And, oh yeah, DarkPhoenix said he'd drop by if he could.

So.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 9:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DeRenzo, you still don't get it. Those little pieces of paper are used daily to cheat people out of money and the unfortunate by product is that they get subpar training and released into the world.

You were asked what qualifies you to teach and you refused. Members including myself made a comment about a video YOU posted and demanded who are we to judge. We in turn said prove you know what you are talking about.

Mr. Popkins is rightly upset and I don't blame him if he is.

I am going to suspend judgement and stay quiet about this until after Dark visits your school and gives his report and I would suggest you should do the same.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 10:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    DeRenzo, you still don't get it. Those little pieces of paper are used daily to cheat people out of money and the unfortunate by product is that they get subpar training and released into the world.

You were asked what qualifies you to teach and you refused. Members including myself made a comment about a video YOU posted and demanded who are we to judge. We in turn said prove you know what you are talking about.

Mr. Popkins is rightly upset and I don't blame him if he is.

I am going to suspend judgement and stay quiet about this until after Dark visits your school and gives his report and I would suggest you should do the same.

So, if those little pieces of paper are not indicative of a good teacher, why does everyone here insist on them? If you want to know , get off your butt and take a look. Otherwise , Shut Up. Let's look at what you wrote. You say I was asked what qualifies me to teach and I refused. what to you want me to show you over a keyboard? Come and see for yourself. No one is going to force me to do anything. If your "judge" that is coming to visit is respectful, he will see for himself. Should my school be judged on his opinion? should anyone's? As to being quiet, that is a good idea for you to do. When you have my level of experience and training, then I might listen to you, otherwise, kep it to yourself. I am tired of listening to whiners.

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 11:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, if those little pieces of paper are not indicative of a good teacher, why does everyone here insist on them? If you want to know , get off your butt and take a look. Otherwise , Shut Up. Let's look at what you wrote. You say I was asked what qualifies me to teach and I refused. what to you want me to show you over a keyboard? Come and see for yourself. No one is going to force me to do anything. If your "judge" that is coming to visit is respectful, he will see for himself. Should my school be judged on his opinion? should anyone's? As to being quiet, that is a good idea for you to do. When you have my level of experience and training, then I might listen to you, otherwise, kep it to yourself. I am tired of listening to whiners.
    Ummm yo tough guy there are people here with your level of experience who support transparency... news flash. One such person got dragged into this by your lack thereof....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 1:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said before Sten, I am going to suspend judgement until after I hear what Dark has to say even though you are nothing but a low life carpetbagging piece of ****.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 5:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahahahaha thanks. I knew you were a hypocrite.

Doug Derenzo:
    Come to my school.
    Watch me teach.
    See my certificates.

Don't judge me until you do.

OMG no you can't judge me by visiting a class, seeing a certificate or by watching me teach./Doug Derenzo

Let me guess, your next excuse will be, they must stay with you at least 10 years before making a comment.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/20/2009 8:32pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 7:19pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu/BJJ/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. DeRenzo, you are right - paper is meaningless. I've known many many instructors in my 30 years in the martial arts who never received a piece of paper with a promotion - just a belt and some other gift. For conversation's sake, who have you trained with, in what, and for how long? I'm not judging you based on your videos.

I truly don't understand your reluctance to discuss your training history. The fact that you are so reluctant to talk about it just doesn't make any sense from a commercial, recruiting standpoint. Unfortunately this thread will pop up on internet searches, for better or worse. It would be a shame for a prospective student to bypass your school because of the red flag that is prominently waving because of your reluctance.

Jeff Cook

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 1:14am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    I truly don't understand your reluctance to discuss your training history. The fact that you are so reluctant to talk about it just doesn't make any sense from a commercial, recruiting standpoint. Unfortunately this thread will pop up on internet searches, for better or worse. It would be a shame for a prospective student to bypass your school because of the red flag that is prominently waving because of your reluctance.
    After the Mukashi website, this thread appears TWICE in a row in a Google search (Search for "Doug Derenzo"). This is usually what happens when someone drags their own investigation on and on. Like Jeff said there should be no reason anyone would not want to discuss their training history. I'm quite frank about it and you've seen other people be up front about it.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 10:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    Like Jeff said there should be no reason anyone would not want to discuss their training history.
    There is a reason not to discuss your training. No, I'm not talking Black Ops and top secret things either.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I swore oaths to protect innocents. I intend to keep them. Feel free to visit me if you want."

Oath to who?