Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 2:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aiki Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many of you guys like to talk alot of trash without even visiting the school! I have been training with Sensei Doug for some time now. The class is for real and so is the sparring. I would like to invite you down for a free lesson so that you may witness it for yourself. If you would like to challange me, come on down. I would be happy to show you a real martial art!!! `

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 3:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zen_mind View Post
    Many of you guys like to talk alot of trash without even visiting the school! I have been training with Sensei Doug for some time now. The class is for real and so is the sparring. I would like to invite you down for a free lesson so that you may witness it for yourself. If you would like to challange me, come on down. I would be happy to show you a real martial art!!! `
    I don't recall "many" people talking "trash" if any. We were just curious about finding out his lineage. A lot of people claiming to be what they aren't our there.

As for myself I don't know if I'd bother joining a school where students call people out on the internet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 3:04pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zen,

What is the sparring at your school like? What level of contact? What equipment do you use? Do you combine grappling and striking? How often do you spar?

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 9:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained with Sensei Doug for many years. I can assure you that the class is real. No BS. Come down and check it out. The first class is free

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 10:17am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained with Sensei Doug for many years. I can assure you that the class is real. No BS. Come down and check it out. The first class is free
    zen_mind,

Thanks for coming on here. It is always good to have someone from the school in question providing feedback.

In this case, people are just curious as to Sensei Doug's background and the art itself. Would you be willing to answer the questions that Jeffrey posed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey
    Zen,

What is the sparring at your school like? What level of contact? What equipment do you use? Do you combine grappling and striking? How often do you spar?
    Thanks.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 10:38am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, Zen.

Let me explain how we do things around here. First, when someone comes on the site and asks about a school we look at the instructor, the style, who the instructor trained with, or was trained by, and a general litmus test to determine the fighting ability of the instructor and his/her students. We base this test on facts, usually a verifiable fight record.

Now, not everyone wants to fight, we get that but as a rule this community views the martial arts as being about fighting first, and everything else a distant second.

We also tend to view instructors without good credentials to be highly suspect.

So, can you shed any light on Sensei Doug's credentials?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    total irrelevant thread derail for 1 sec, thanx jeffrey for posting that utube vid never seen it before and its really informative.
    you may resume your prior conversation .

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 1:15pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by w4975 View Post
    total irrelevant thread derail for 1 sec, thanx jeffrey for posting that utube vid never seen it before and its really informative.
    you may resume your prior conversation .
    Actually, commenting on that video is NEVER a derail. :-)

It is the first well-produced video that explains, in depth, about aliveness and provides examples for increasing levels of aliveness and contact.

In this thread, it is a great context-sensitive example of what sten (the OP) might be looking for, especially if he is looking for a good Sanda school.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 2:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeffery
    We spar every class. The contact is minimal, however, higher ranks tend to end up in more physical situations. We do some grappling but mostly grappling defense which is practiced live. The class is a martial Art not a martial Sport. The sole purpose of training is to finish the opponent any way possible. There are no rules(i.e. striking groin, etc...) It is hard to explain exactly how it plays out. My suggestion is that if you are interested, come down and check it out.

As for the question posed, is Sensei Doug Credentialed? I believe someone above answered this question with the people he trained with. I can tell you that( besides the diplomas he has hanging) he understands the art he teaches and he lives it! He is a true master of the old school. I have visited many many schools searching for a legitimate school and have met many many "credentialed" teachers. Many were paper tigers teaching a watered down version of a martial art/sport. They were out of shape and full of excuses of why this won't work or that won't work.
    But enough talking because anyone can do that. I invite anyone on this website down to visit the class and judge for yourself based on action not words!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 3:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are you Kidding ?

Hello,

My name is Howard Popkin and I am the co-owner of the Popkin-Brogna Self Defense Center in Franklin Square.

Bottom line here is Doug Derenzo from Mukashi took ONE class in my dojo Let me say that again, one CLASS.

I have never seen what he does in his dojo, nor do I care. This was made a statement of fact. I don't know who gave out that information, but his experience with me was less then 4 hours on a Sunday a last year.

Howard Popkin
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast