Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 8:09am

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    OK, sorry I was not clear.

I am simply saying that when I learned I was saying something that was not true, I acted differently.

I felt very bad about it, but I manned up, said I was sorry and I fixed it.

I am also sorry I did not make myself clear.
    Mr. Tripp,

I am the one on this thread who linked to yours. I did so as an example of someone who was forthright in his credentials and background. No one should compare your honesty with Mr. DeRenzo's. It is clear that, in your thread, you corrected an honest error. That is not what happened here.

I'm sorry if this has created the slightest confusion.

(Insert standard nuthugging here.)

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 8:04am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Sten: You mean you got your cert from these guys http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.plv ? Because they don't list you as a Master Instructor here: http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?aboveRenshi and they don't list your school in their database.

I have contacted them to find out if you actually are a certified instructor with them.
    The above organization is not the one Mr. DeRenzo is a member of. Apparently he is a member of Kokusai Aikijitsu Kai Renmei. The first hit for them on google is http://nipponjujitsukai.tripod.com/ which offers cross ranking and video black belt courses in Japanese Jiujitsu. Attempting to contact their US branch got me nowhere as the email address is dead, I'm awaiting a response from their Japanese branch now.
    According to their members page he is listed as a Yudansha, 3rd dan.
    http://nipponjujitsukai.tripod.com/njjkusa/id16.html

But according to this one:
    http://aikiryuhonbu.tripod.com/aikir...udojo/id5.html

He's a "Student/Jr. Black Belt"

One last edit:
    According to their requirements here: http://aikiryuhonbu.tripod.com/aikir...udojo/id6.html to get a brown belt one has to be able to do 150 pushups, 150 situps, 300 jumping jacks, a 45 min endurance drill and what looks like a 1/2 mile run. I don't see the brown belt in that video being able to do that...

Does anyone else know anything about this Kokusai Aikijitsu Kai Renmei thing? It looks... questionable to me.
    Last edited by Kintanon; 6/01/2009 8:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 10:13am

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From http://aikiryuhonbu.tripod.com/aikir...ojo/index.html

Aiki Ryu Ju Jitsu was established in 1999 by the Founder and First Generation Head Master - Soke Darel E. Chase. The system is fully recognized and accredited by the Kokusai Aikijitsu Kai Renmei - Tokyo, Japan, as well as many other prominent Martial Arts organizations and associations.
    Ah! A westerner claiming to be a "first generation soke".

:bsflag:

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh....

When they call themselves a "Soke" we know they are a "Jo-ke"

Wanna bet the group in Japan either does not exist or never heard of this guy?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 10:46am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. A cross rank diploma mill.

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 10:57am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was my impression as well. I'm not sure if Mr DeRenzo is skilled or not, but his certifications and ranks certainly aren't indicative of actual training.

Mr. DeRenzo, would you care to give us any actual information about who your instructors are/were, in what arts, and for what time periods as well as the rank attained? It would definitely make it easier for me to confirm your credentials so that anyone who reads this thread has a complete view of the situation. As it stands you have the appearance of someone with questionable credentials turning out mediocre students. If that isn't the reality then I would like to make sure this thread eventually reflects that, but without your assistance it is far more difficult and will take much longer.
    Last edited by Kintanon; 6/01/2009 11:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 10:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I don't know what's worst an honorary doctorate of Budo from an uncredited school

"For example: The American College of Martial Science is run by the International Combative Arts Association, which for a fee will issue anyone a soke certification. For another fee, the college will issue you a PhD in martial arts. The "college" is accredited by the Apostolic Council on Educational Accountability, which is itself is unaccredited, which means any institution it accredits is also unaccredited. So, for a lot of money, and little else, you to can be a PhD Soke."

or the Star Wars music that was made by a Commodore 64.

http://tkdtutor.com/03School/Fraud/Accreditiation.htm
    Last edited by catfishaggie; 6/01/2009 11:01am at . Reason: make it more readable

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 11:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Wow. A cross rank diploma mill.
    haha yeah! Diploma Mills are moving on up and becoming more consumer friendly as they ask the question what does the aspiring Soke really want? How about promotions to stratospheric levels from a level below black belt?

Who says Soke has to have a black belt? we can sell him one of those also! fifty pushups three hail Mary's a shot of Jim Beam..."You is a black belt now son... we register your hands as deadly weapons with the Soke doke commission!"

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 11:47am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    That was my impression as well. I'm not sure if Mr DeRenzo is skilled or not, but his certifications and ranks certainly aren't indicative of actual training.
    He may have legit training. It doesn't help when you have a shitty pay for play cross ranking. It makes it look like you are collecting accolades without the work.

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 12:16pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He may have legit training. It doesn't help when you have a shitty pay for play cross ranking. It makes it look like you are collecting accolades without the work.

Exactly, he could be a great fighter, a great teacher, a great guy all around, but there's no way to tell from those certs because any jackleg idiot can buy one. If Mr. DeRenzo wants this thread to accurately reflect his training and abilities then he should cooperate with us to make sure it does so, otherwise I can only assume that this IS an accurate reflection.