Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys,

If you are going to focus on how I handled things, please focus on when Steve caught me in a "lie."

OK, it was an error on my part, but the point is look at how I replied. I owned up, said I was sorry, and never made the claim again.

ANYONE cam be wrong or mess up, its how they clean up that mess that tells us who they are.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 6:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Guys,

If you are going to focus on how I handled things, please focus on when Steve caught me in a "lie."
    This makes no sense to me as, my comments have nothing to do with anything you have said or mistakenly stated.

Please point out the problem.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 6:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He means it's important that Sten gave info that tutned out to be wrong than that when confronted with that situation Sten didn't correct the issue, but became defensive. Anyone can make a mistake.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 6:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    He means it's important that Sten gave info that tutned out to be wrong than that when confronted with that situation Sten didn't correct the issue, but became defensive. Anyone can make a mistake.
    Gotcha. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sten View Post
    Go through your local yellowpages mccaw. green cloud school, chikara academy, american samurai school etc. A schools name has to meet your approval?
    See, this is arrogance and lack of reading comprehension. No, the school name doesn't have to meet with anyone's approval.

These two posts:
    Judging from the name, I would suspect that Mukashi no Jutsu is not terribly mukashi.
    Maybe someone with better Japanese can correct me, but I'm pretty sure "mukashi" is never used as a modifier; I've only ever heard it as a part of storytelling language, as "mukashi mukashi ni"... (the equivalent of "Once upon a time....")
    Regardless of what he's teaching, I'm calling shenanigans on the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    I always thought Mukashi was a time-noun meaning 'old days' 'ancient times' etc, like 'suiyoubi' would be. Ie suiyoubi ni or mukashi ni would be valid phrases. I think mukashi no bunka would be valid but I'm not sure. Mukashi no jutsu just screams bullshit however because the assertion would be you're selling gendai techniques, and probably pre-Tokugawa ones if you were t3h r34l mukashi. It smells fishy to me.
    They are questioning your possible improper use of a Japanese word. Now, I do find it hilarious that you haven't defended the proper use of the term.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 7:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Guys,

OK, it was an error on my part, but the point is look at how I replied. I owned up, said I was sorry, and never made the claim again.

ANYONE cam be wrong or mess up, its how they clean up that mess that tells us who they are.
    Hey Mark, I was referring to this thread when mentioning you "Odd claim against Mark Tripp's credentials, his response.".

The reason being is that when questioned you immediately shown everybody your credentials and for that I have the up most respect for you.

As far as being caught in a lie and then being called out on it, yeah it hurts and yes you did man up on yours but this guy refuses to. If he was to scan and post his "diploma" and I turn out to be wrong, I'll apologize to him. Right now though until he uses your example then I don't see any problem that is going on here, especially since he thinks that consumer information is Orwellian ala Ninety Eighty Four.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 8:42pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sten,

Please keep in mind each poster on this site is entitled to his own opinion. If you feel some folks here have been unfair to you, you should not conclude that everyone has been, nor should you conclude that all future readers of this thread will feel as they do. (Keep in mind this will likely come up for Google searches for many years to come.)

I believe, if you look back at my comments, you will have to agree I have been fair, and have not been unduly insulting. I have questioned your honesty, but you cannot deny that you were deliberately misleading in your initial posts.

I still believe you should post a detailed statement of your lineage, ranks, and certifications. This would remain in this thread "for the record", so future readers will not conclude that you have been evasive, or have something to hide.

Your call.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 8:45pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for the record, I admit that my Japanese isn't amazing, as I do tend to mistakenly use particles, but I am 100% certainly that the phrase 'mukashi no jutsu' is dishonest, especially in light of it being a school name, because mukashi definitely means 'ancient' or 'old days' or 'old times' and would probably refer to the times of Tokugawa or earlier. By saying you teach 'mukashi' techniques you are inferring you teach koryu martial arts from way back (pretty much the Japanese medieval period), which would require a lineage verification for the past 300-500 years, maybe more.

My opinion is that Doug is using the name 'mukashi no jutsu' to a) give legitimacy to his school to Japanophile students [if you've ever seen Naruto and enjoyed it, you probably have a hard-on for anything with 'no jutsu' in the name] and b) give legitimacy to his school to those who think old = valid. I've asked him at least once what 'mukashi' techniques he teaches and considering the vast majority of the styles he's claimed to have learnt are all less than 100 years old, then it's also a fallicious use of 'mukashi'. He's just banking on the subtext to sell his shitty product.

There is no such thing as 'American' budo. Budo and all that bushi philosophy was the realm of premodern Japanese warriors and Ghost Dog aside using the term to describe anything modern would be a misuse, at least in the traditional sense. There'd probably be a lot of bushi who would have said you weren't practicing true warrior philosophy (since you wouldn't be a true warrior) if you hadn't killed someone.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/30/2009 10:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am currently in contact with a member of the KJJR, I have directed them to this thread and explained the sitution, hopefully they will decide to help us determine Mr. DeRenzo's credentials.

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 12:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I am currently in contact with a member of the KJJR, I have directed them to this thread and explained the sitution, hopefully they will decide to help us determine Mr. DeRenzo's credentials.
    Sir you dare question a martial artist of this man's repute? Why this man's art has a Japanese name... I am quite sure his students refer to him as Hanshi, Shihan as though it was his first name! He has posted a video of his students locked in mortal life and death combat and.... the man has the impecable credentials of being an academic to boot!

Why the teacher who is claiming he is not his student is a fool... he should gladly have said "Yes I taught Hanshi DeRenzo everything he knows.... exception being the gentle sucking motion that comes instinctively to those nourished on Mother's milk. "

I tell you the people here are bitter that they cannot buy the ring because they do not have all the cereal box tops. Oh did I mention that this guy should be canonized? for only charging 6 dollars for something worth about...., well its the point! Mother Teresa had nothing on this guy.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 6:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, sorry I was not clear.

I am simply saying that when I learned I was saying something that was not true, I acted differently.

I felt very bad about it, but I manned up, said I was sorry and I fixed it.

I am also sorry I did not make myself clear.