Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Austin TX newbie seeking advice on combat sambo

Hello,

I'm a newcomer to this forum and to martial arts in general. I've had an interest in martial arts and MMA for years as I'm sure most males in my demographic have with the explosion in popularity of the UFC and other MMA organizations. I've just recently decided to pursue the interest beyond spectating. I currently have zero experience but I plan on changing that. I've done some looking around and the style that has grabbed me is Sambo, specifically Combat Sambo. I see that there is a school in Pflugerville, Tx that does some sambo but I am located in South Austin. Can anyone recommend any schools in Austin?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. There are several members here who can help with your search. Good luck and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Naszir is practicing Sambo, judo and bjj.

Nazir, you out there?

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iforani View Post
    Hello,

I'm a newcomer to this forum and to martial arts in general. I've had an interest in martial arts and MMA for years as I'm sure most males in my demographic have with the explosion in popularity of the UFC and other MMA organizations. I've just recently decided to pursue the interest beyond spectating. I currently have zero experience but I plan on changing that. I've done some looking around and the style that has grabbed me is Sambo, specifically Combat Sambo. I see that there is a school in Pflugerville, Tx that does some sambo but I am located in South Austin. Can anyone recommend any schools in Austin?
    Naszir and blackmonk train and teach at South Austin Gym which is in a stripmall on the Southwest corner of Stassney and Manchaca Rd in south Austin. blackmonk teaches SOMBO (The name of the art is actually an acronym) there on occasion.

The only other legitimate place to train SOMBO in the Austin area is Eclectic Combat Systems, or ECS, which is north of Austin in Pflugerville.

There are other good places to train grappling in south Austin, but I'll let Naszir take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I believe Naszir is practicing Sambo, judo and bjj.

Nazir, you out there?
    He's at work right now.
    Shut the hell up and train.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp, hungryjoe,

I really appreciate the help. South Austin Gym sounds like it's not far from where I live. The gym's website doesn't have much information so I may stop in on my way home from work to get more. Hopefully Naszir and/or blackmonk see this thread at some point and can share their thoughts. Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by iforani; 10/31/2012 6:15am at .

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be remiss in not recommending the Relson Gracie Austin Association in South Austin on Manchaca and Skyway as another alternative, even though you stated in your OP that you were specifically looking for Sambo and I don't think you could go wrong with South Austin Gym. I just gotsta represent my peeps back down in ATX.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Austin TX newbie seeking advice on combat sambo

Our main classes are Tues and Thurs from 6-8pm, but we have more open format sambo groups that meet on Mon/Wed/Fri, as well.

Any particular questions about the martial art itself?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blackmonk,

Thanks for replying. I do have some questions. Do you think that SAMBO is a good choice for someone with no experience? From what i understand, there is an emphasis on striking and grappling, is that correct? If I wanted to observe a class, would it be better for me to come by on a tue/thurs or on one of the other three days? What equipment would I need for class? And are you able to share information about the rates? Thank you in advance for your help.

Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Austin TX newbie seeking advice on combat sambo

Sambo is a great choice for beginners because it encompasses so many things. It's a great base.

We do some striking in the Mon/Wed/Fri sessions, but the overall thrust of sambo is grappling. Even the striking is an extension of the grappling, as the ruleset rewards grappling skills only. Not that striking doesn't count, it just isn't reflected on the scoreboard.

I would encourage you to come to the Tues/Thurs classes at first, though, because you'll get an awesome feel for base skills there. You just need shorts, a gi jacket, and a cup. Mouthpiece is a good idea, also. And if you don't have a jacket, we always have a few loaners.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Style
    BJJ, Judo, SAMBO
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Blackmonk said, we do tend to focus on grappling as it is the way to score in SAMBO competition. Tuesdays and Thursdays tend to be more fundamental and more regimented covering things like breakfalls, basic movement, fundamental positions and drilling techniques. We do spar but that is scaled to the level of the less experienced partner. Come on by and check it out.

There are other places as well, if you were more looking for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu like Paragon at Wm Cannon and West Gate or Relson Gracie also Austin Fitness Martial Arts and Rubicon Fight Sport.

The main thing is find a place that you feel comfortable and where you enjoy training. Hopefully, we'll be a good fit. I look forward to seeing you.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last