Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 8:39am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ving Tsun SD demo at my judo dojo

Oh boy, this will be interesting.

These guys talked a sandan (and a successful competitor too) into inviting them to a self defence seminar in my dojo. This will be my first direct exposure to the dreaded _un and I'm quite curious. Not sure it's going to happen but, if it does, I'll get back to you.

Any ideas on how to expose them without being a presumptuous disrespecting asshole? I might be carried away by the spirit of this forum, you know.

I'd love to morote gari and armbar their chainpunching teacher, but I don't think there'll be free sparring involved. Also, IANAS (I am not a striker) so I might be in for a surprise, am I not?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 8:54am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously?

It isn't that serious. There is no need to expose anything as WC isn't a fraud. Like many CMAs it is taught poorly a majority of the time and should be left to rot.

Now, if they start with the deadly and the eye gouges bullshit get them alone, after the demo, and see if you can get them to demonstrate" their claims in an alive manner.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 9:02am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the English side of their site looks like it was created by an online translator. So I can't give you any direct advice from the provided content. However, as an ex-WC'r and a current Judo player I will say the following.

Unless they are that one-in-a-million school that spars they arn't going to want to randori with you. Expect a fair amount of scripted two man drills, the usual three step "sparring" crap we see from WC all the time. In short, don't expect much substance.

If they do want to play they most likely will be in t-shirts and pants so play no-gi Judo, lots of underhooks to Osoto-Gari/Gaki or just throw Seio-Nage's till they bleed out their ears. Either way, have fun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 9:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Seriously?

It isn't that serious. There is no need to expose anything as WC isn't a fraud. Like many CMAs it is taught poorly a majority of the time and should be left to rot.

Now, if they start with the deadly and the eye gouges bullshit get them alone, after the demo, and see if you can get them to demonstrate" their claims in an alive manner.
    Their website is so full of TM (R) and misplaced capitalized catchphrases that I felt confrontational just by browsing it, but "Expose" is not the correct word, indeed. Also, I read too many chun threads lately.

I doubt the deadly and the eyegouges won't be at the core of the seminar, it's SD after all, "beat 'em all with our cunning techniques" is what I expect. I shall give up my prejudices and see what comes over.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 9:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's all I'm saying watch it as neutrally as you can.

If they ask you to do something resist. Don't try to embarrass them but, don't let them get one over on you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 12:49pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming they're another bullshit "too deadly to spar" school, it is kind of a no win situation for you. Since they won't willingly step up to test their ****, the only way to prove anything to them is, more-or-less, to start **** with them. And then, even if you win, you look like a disrespectful jackass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 1:01pm

Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a look at their website, and I can say that everything about the school/organization raises a B.S. flag.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 1:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video from their site is AWESOME! "Shocking Speed!"
    http://dailymotion.virgilio.it/video/k1LdWnpv3JjkaOSdPL

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 1:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either don't go, or go and be at least mostly respectful. Don't be flim-flammed and maybe ask a question, but don't appoint yourself Protector Of Aliveness, Destroyer of Bullshidoka.

Why? Because it's not your place to disrespect a guest of your judo dojo/sensei/sempai.

In effect, because the sandan might kick your ass.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, sempai asked my opinion and I briefly explained what I don't like about VT (usual gospel), but added that I still am curious to see their stuff and that's quite true.

It seems that the intertube has a clear opinion and I share that ("no win" and "don't be an asshole"), nice to see that nobody suggested otherwise.
    It's still going to be interesting and possibly amusing. Especially some buddies, I wonder their reaction to teh de4dly?

Hope it's going to happen, it's bound the 15th.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast