Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 3:22pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UFC survived Brock Lesnar beating Couture, I don't see how Jones beating Silva would hurt. It could create a good rivalry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 4:57pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never thought I'd find myself defending Dana White, but I think he's right. By not allowing this fight, he's protecting the legitimacy of his brand - not because Jones might beat Silva (which I doubt), but because he realizes that a bout of that kind pushes UFC over the line from legitimate sport into three-ring circus.

He has big enough credibility issues already without opening the door to accusations of beating on middle-aged has-beens and punch-drunk bankrupts for the titillation of hooting TapouT-clad neanderthals.

Besides, cross-overs are always crap, regardless of genre.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana lost the Im-not-gonna-promote-a-freakshow card when he let brock lesnar fight Randy Couture after going 1-1. After that insult to the sport he can't use that excuse to get away from this fight.

However, he can't risk having Silva lose while in his prime. If Silva lost in the meantime it would make this fight more likely. Dana is being smart instead of brave. It's what got him to where he is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 10:14pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one thinking that Roy Jones Junior has little if any chance of winning?

Every boxer vs kickboxer match I have watched inevitably ends with a lowkick knockout. This is not even accounting for any boxer vs grappler match I have ever watched.

How much fucking kickboxing or jiu jitsu could he pick up in a few months time at his age, even training full time with the best coaches in the world? Silva would be still lightyears ahead of him. The only way Silva could lose is if he tries to have a boxing match with him. Even then, I would be skeptical.

Honestly, I think Dana White is trying to stick it to Silva. In fact, I think this is a piss poor business decision. The UFC would make millions on that fight. I think Dana is just pissed at Silva for pursuing an outside interest and not fighting the way he wanted Silva to at his last fights.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 11:09pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    I never thought I'd find myself defending Dana White, but I think he's right. By not allowing this fight, he's protecting the legitimacy of his brand - not because Jones might beat Silva (which I doubt), but because he realizes that a bout of that kind pushes UFC over the line from legitimate sport into three-ring circus.

He has big enough credibility issues already without opening the door to accusations of beating on middle-aged has-beens and punch-drunk bankrupts for the titillation of hooting TapouT-clad neanderthals.

Besides, cross-overs are always crap, regardless of genre.
    How does a combat athlete from one set of rules versus a combat athlete from a different set of rules equal a 3 ring circus?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 2:18am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana might be right on this one. He certainly right about RJJ not being relevant anymore and certainly no longer a top tier boxer, and maybe since he knows that Silva will trounce Jones in an MMA rule set he realizes that he has absolutely nothing to win.

For instance:

When Silva beats Jones, Dana not only put together a meaningless fight, but he makes his employees/MW fighters who have been working in the UFC wait for another four some odd months to take a shot at the title, had one of his P4Pers beat up an old, irrelevant boxer and he might disenfranchise the audience that he is trying to cultivate (18-34 year old boxing fans).

I know that there has been a lot of talk about how the two sports don't have a lot of crossover base fan wise but I'm fairly certain that in the long run that MMA promotions will try and get the dollars from the patrons of the sweet science. Him promoting a fight where a boxing legend gets beaten up doesn't seem to be the right way to go about it to me.

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 2:19am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lord please let Dana grow a pair!......I promise to say my Prayers every night!.........Who cares if Roy wins! it would only Legitimize boxing as a martial art witch most people Know all ready! And I don't think anybody could really protest that even if Roy win's he would be even better if he learned how to grapple. And if he looses who cares no one would really be surprised! A win/Win situation as far as I'm concerned 4 the UFC.
    Last edited by hoodedmonk; 5/08/2009 2:23am at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 2:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, right now this is wrong. It's not the same as Lesnar in the sparse HW bracket, even. And say what you want about ol' cockchest, he was at least a standout in a similar sport and he at least did some tuneups. If a boxer wants into MMA, he should either put some work in to contend, or meet someone in an exhibition level match.

Now AFTER august...then this might be viable.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 7:34am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    How does a combat athlete from one set of rules versus a combat athlete from a different set of rules equal a 3 ring circus?
    Muhammed Ali vs. Antonio Inoki. Crap and corny.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 8:45am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Muhammed Ali vs. Antonio Inoki. Crap and corny.
    To be fair, the insane rule set developed for that match is what really made it crap and corny
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast