Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 11:20am

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kicking the knee joints in mma

I'v noticed a lot more leg kicks being thrown directly to the knee joint in recent mma bouts a few in the ufc but a lot in the wec. For the longest time I thought that kicking the knee joint directly was a foul but upon reviewing the rule sets for both organizations I found out its not. I think kicking the knee joint directly is just as dangerous as striking downward using the point of the elbow or stomping a grounded opponent which are both fouls in the ufc and the wec. I hope it does not take a lot of fighters getting their career's ended early do to severely bad knee injuries form leg kicks directly to the knees for them to change this. I think leg kicks should be kept above the knee.

Share your thoughts on the matter God bless.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 11:25am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must not have watched the last UFC. Silva went to work on Leites' knee with some HARD downward stomps and he was still standing after all of it. Of course he did start to look a bit wobbly after a bit (due to the knee) and he probably wasn't walking straight for a few weeks after that, but it didn't destroy his knee as far as I'm aware of.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 11:30am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, once again people assume that the human body is some kind of delicate crystal which will shatter under the slightest blow.

People are tough. Kicking the knee is not going to instantly smash the joint into a million pieces and cripple you. A lucky shot might mess it up if the knee is locked and the weight is on it when the strike hits, but most strikes are going to be no more devestating than any other leg kick.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 11:38am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not against the rules it just one of those things you do not do. Reason being is that if you actually practiced it in the gym you would not have any training partners. After doing it on purpose a couple of times guys would not spar with you anymore. That or I would meet you in the back room with a fucking bat.

In an MMA match it is just a gentleman's agreement not to do it. Not to say that they talk about it just that it's something we will not do to each other to jeopardize each others careers. Anderson was getting quite upset with Lietes and was just looking for anything to get him to engage.

It's just a technique that if you do it be prepared to have someone do it back to you. Now if you go down that road and get your knee fucked up then you can only blame yourself. Both guys understand that it's a 9-12 month recovery and you may not be the same after it so we just don't do it. Silva crossed the line and now must be prepared to face the consequences. After the first knee is blown out due to this strike I can assure you that a rule will be put in place to stop it. Until then no one will care.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we just talking about side kicks, or roundhouses as well?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 2:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Are we just talking about side kicks, or roundhouses as well?
    It seems to me that roundhouse kicks would be the primary focus here; you tend to see a lot more of those in MMA than side kicks.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 3:17pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Yeah, once again people assume that the human body is some kind of delicate crystal which will shatter under the slightest blow.

I see where your going with this. You mean I cant just rip a ear off with my tiger claw and gouge his eyes out with my kenpo chinese mantis hook and win any fight ever?

But seriously, even with me having very little belief in some of the out landish claims some martial arts make, I was suprised how much punishment that mans knees took from a world class kick boxer.
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 3:23pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oddly enough I'm not surprised AT ALL.
    No one who watches football, even just the highlight reels, can be all that surprised at it. I've seen guys get slammed in the knees by 300lb linebackers without their fragile bones shattering.
    I'm sure his legs were sore afterwards, he might even have been injured, but he took like 12 good solid shots to the knee from a guy who KNOWS how to kick and he walked out of the ring without a noticeable problem.
    Side kicks to the knee are no more dangerous than any other leg kicks.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 5:19pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Its not against the rules it just one of those things you do not do. Reason being is that if you actually practiced it in the gym you would not have any training partners. After doing it on purpose a couple of times guys would not spar with you anymore. That or I would meet you in the back room with a fucking bat.

In an MMA match it is just a gentleman's agreement not to do it. Not to say that they talk about it just that it's something we will not do to each other to jeopardize each others careers. Anderson was getting quite upset with Lietes and was just looking for anything to get him to engage.

It's just a technique that if you do it be prepared to have someone do it back to you. Now if you go down that road and get your knee fucked up then you can only blame yourself. Both guys understand that it's a 9-12 month recovery and you may not be the same after it so we just don't do it. Silva crossed the line and now must be prepared to face the consequences. After the first knee is blown out due to this strike I can assure you that a rule will be put in place to stop it. Until then no one will care.
    You had me up to the last bit. Why would it be different rulewise than cranking a leglock with intent to injure?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast