Posted On:
    5/06/2009 10:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Keiko Fukuda documentary

YouTube - Be Strong, Be Gentle, Be Beautiful

'This is a 7.5 minute sample clip of "Be Strong, Be Gentle, Be Beautiful," the documentary film about 96 year old Keiko Fukuda. She is the highest ranking woman in judo history, is the last living link to judo's origin and has inspired millions by overcoming the barriers of discrimination, war, and old age living a life of integrity with strength, grace, and beauty. At 96, Fukuda still teaches three times a week at her dojo in San Francisco. This film is currently in production. '

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 11:34pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What an amazing woman. It's sad that it took her so long to have her abilities properly recognised and a dan-rank fitting of her experience awarded.

I find it somewhat saddening that her physique has so deteriorated as she cannot walk easily, however. It's disheartening when you see someone who's dedicated so much of their life to martialism [her crying tugs on your heart strings something fierce] to have so little of her strength or capability left. Her knowledge must be vast, however, and I think that's pretty good consolation. She should be declared a living treasure or something; she's one of the few left to even meet Kano let alone train under him and the Japanese culture embodied by her is certainly worth recognising.

I wonder what style her grandfather taught? She mentioned he was a jujutsuka who taught Kano.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Antiquated

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 2:30pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    I wonder what style her grandfather taught? She mentioned he was a jujutsuka who taught Kano.
    Hachinosuke Fukuda was her grandfather who instructed Kano in Tenjin-shinyo-ryu Jujutsu. TSR was a major influence on Kano and Judo.

He apparently went on a processional to the temple of Kannon (Goddess of Mercy) in Asakusa and "set a framed oath on the wall: [which said] 'I shall avow that if anyone can master me [in Jujutsu], I shall forthwith remove this frame.' Some time after [Keiko Fukuda] heard this story [she] went to Asakusa and found [her] grandfather's plaque still on the wall, even though the frame was dark with soot and his name barely discernable."
    Last edited by Mas; 5/07/2009 3:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 3:34pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    He apparently went on a processional to the temple of Kannon (Goddess of Mercy) in Asakusa and "set a framed oath on the wall: [which said] 'I shall avow that if anyone can master me [in Jujutsu], I shall forthwith remove this frame.' Some time after [Keiko Fukuda] heard this story [she] went to Asakusa and found [her] grandfather's plaque still on the wall, even though the frame was dark with soot and his name barely discernable."
    How bad-ass is that?! That's like some Old West gun-fighter stuff right there. Is that framed oath still hanging up there? There needs to be a documentary made on all these old bad-asses. Way too cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 7:48pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This woman's story is an inspiration to every martial arts practioner around the world. For all purposes she married judo and is a link to the old school teaching of the Kodokan. Don't know why, but it makes my late blossom passion for judo get even stronger.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 10:19am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!