Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 4:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Having to quit MMA lessons because of new job

Well I might be getting a new soon but I have no clue what the hours will be so I need to take a break from MMA. I want to keep myself in the game so what should I do at home? Just push ups, bag work, shadow boxing., That kind of stuff?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about a new job? Why are you quitting so soon anyway? You don't even know what the hours are yet.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 4:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured that but I have to pay a monthly fee and I don't know when I would start and I don't want to pay for a whole month and only get 4 classes done.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask them to freeze your account or just explain your situation to them and see if they can be accomidating.

Wait, have you not even signed up yet? Just wait four days and see.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 8:10pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are indeed forced to quit MA, it really depends on how experienced you are. I made the transition from TMA to kickboxing on my own. Took me a while but if you have a very good understanding of basic MA concepts, you can put two and two together. Of course, taking lessons and getting real training is much faster and more effective.

My self-imposed training curriculum was..warm up practicing all the basic strikes and kicks, 20-30 mins of shadowboxing, 20-30 mins of bagwork, practicing basic and new combinations - 45 mins, practicing them on a bag - 20 mins. If I got lucky I had a training partner with me I could do drills with. I also did a lot of TMA derived footwork drills. Usually I did these in a day, but I guess if you had time for this you wouldn't quit MA..

You can do a lot with imagination and thinking but you need to have a good idea what its like training with a live opponent and what its like to sparr a bunch of different people. And eventually you have to test it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 8:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did TMA for 1 year then did wrestling for a year, boxing for a couple months, BJJ for a couple months, and MMA for a couple months.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 9:57pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Might be able to do it. I did TMA for.. 7 years or more. Key is repitition. When you think everthing is perfect, its not. Keep doing it. Keep doing it until a GOOD instructor tells you its perfect. Then someone better than him is gonna come out and tell you you can change this this and this. Then do it some more. Get it? It merges into that perpetual state..

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 7:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, mma, muay thai, csw

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try at a minimum to keep in cardio shape and do some drill work on your own, or ideally try and find a bud or two to do some training with. Work nutty hours here so always looking for reliable training partners (ones who actually show up) to at least drill or run through MMA circuits with.
    Good luck!