218284 Bullies, 9273 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 9:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uncle Skippy's Competition Thread

Tournament Date: 2009/05/02

Skill Level: Blue

Weight Class: 210+

Notes:
    There was only 1 other person in my skill/weight class. We did a best 2 of 3.

Watch closely boys and girls. This is the effects of not eating anything substantial on the morning of a tournament.

I knew I was in trouble as soon as we locked up at the beginning of the first match. I had no strength and felt like I had already rolled 3-4 hours. It was all I could do to keep him from passing my guard, much less be active myself. I didn't even need to cut weight; it was just a VERY stupid mistake on my part.

Lesson learned: eat a good breakfast and be hydrated.

I don't feel like I had the strength to do anything and don't feel like it is a good showing at all. Not getting a sub is the worst part. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

There is another tournament in 2 weeks; I'll be ready for that one.

(You'll never guess: I'm the one in the AWESOME Rupture gear)

Match 1: He won by points

YouTube - 2009/05/02 Match 1

Match 2: Tie, no advantage

YouTube - 2009/05/02 Match 2

We went to a 2 minute overtime because it as 0-0, no advantages.

Match 2 Overtime: I won by points

YouTube - 2009/05/02 Match 2 Overtime

Match 3: I won by points

YouTube - 2009/05/02 Match 3
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 5/06/2009 2:56pm at .

Pulling mount since '09

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 9:39pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet!!! Congrats mang! I have no idea how the points system works for the competition, but you made a good showing. The other dude's coach was fucking obnoxious in round 1. My (inexperienced) assessments: Round 1 tie, Round 2 I would have given other dude, Round 2 OT was beautiful all you, Round 3 started ugly but you had a strong end, you ALMOST had that armbar THEN taking his back was sweet. It also looked like you did a good job relaxing and staying calm even with fatkid on top of you. Also bumps to the 205+ lb crew.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 11:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the comment!

I can't wait for the next tournament so that I can actually post something that will really be more 'me.'

This showing was REALLY bad, but on a site that promotes honesty, I'm not going to hide shitty footage.

2 weeks to go.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 2:42pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Learners today, Leaders Tomorrow", was in the background of your third match, right when everything started moving fast, and dynamic. Interesting reliance on the 1/2 guard. Looking forward to next vids. Way to go!

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    "Learners today, Leaders Tomorrow", was in the background of your third match, right when everything started moving fast, and dynamic. Interesting reliance on the 1/2 guard. Looking forward to next vids. Way to go!
    Thanks!

I find a LOT of my subs and sweeps come from transition into and out of half guard. My BJJ coach is a big fan of taking the back so I've worked on dog-fight and side-guard sweeps from that position. I'll usually wind up at least in a harness / over-under on my knees and then secure the back from there.

My gi stuff is a lot more developed in that position as it gives me better handles. No gi needs work which is why I'm doing the tournaments.

8 days to go... :-)

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/17/2009 4:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tournament Date: 2009-05-16

Skill Level: Blue

Weight Class: 200+

Results: Won 1st in my weight class, Lost in absolute

Notes:

Much better this tournament though there was 1 catch: at 6:30am the same morning, there was a mandatory 2 hour workout. I am training for my 3rd degree black belt in my school's system (not BJJ) and the required workout consisted of ~ 1 mile run, followed by 4 minutes at 14 different stations with a lap around the building at each station rotation. In all, it was about a 2.5 mile run and 1.75 continuous hours of activity. I was tired afterwards and still had to make the tournament and perform.

My previous competition experience (see above) had me malnourished and fatigued right away. This time, I decided to pick the brains of some nutrition experts (imagine that! Asking people who know more than you!). With their advice, I was able to recover really well from the workout before my match time. I took in ~ 20g of protein in a **good** quality protein bar, downed 2 small bottles of the Univera Essentials, and then feasted on strawberries and blueberries to prevent my insulin from spiking.

There were 2 other big guys in my division, both of whom I have rolled with before and actually roll with on a semi-regular basis.

Match 1 - Won (armbar)

My opponent has a very strong wrestling background as can be witnessed by the incredibly quick single-leg takedown. His pressure throughout the match kept me from pulling off some of my favorite subs and from taking his back.

I eventually was able to sweep from half-guard bottom, establish top, and then work my ass off to try to finish.

Rolling with big guys is difficult. Rolling with big guys who have a lot of skill is incredibly difficult.

YouTube - 2009-05 Match 1

Match 2 - Won (armbar)

I've trained with this gentleman quite a bit and he knows my half-guard bottom game. After he gets the single-leg (yes, I know: "ANOTHER SINGLE-LEG?? Have you heard of a SPRAWL SKIPPY?"), he shuts down my underhook and shifts his hips to make my lockdown more difficult to maintain. He had really good hip pressure.

Once I established guard, I started fishing for the arm drag and working on breaking down his posture. A near triangle and reestablished guard later, I got the arm drag, he backed out and I locked down the armbar. I thought he was gone and I think I got lucky on that one.

This match got me 1st in the weight class.

YouTube - 2009-05 Match 2

Match 1 - Absolute - Lost (points)

I never rolled again this gentleman before so it was a completely new experience. In the stand-up, he had better hand position and got a beautiful take-down (wasn't a single-leg!).

I gassed hard about 1:30, made a bad decision about 1:45, and just went through the motions until there was roughly a minute left. At that point, I decided to do everything I could even if it meant barfing up a huge pile of strawberries and blueberries.

I hooked a leg, took him over me, got caught in half-guard, did whatever I could to get him to let go and move, fed the back-mount triangle, rolled him, about to lock it and then the end bell went off. AHHH! Oh well, I should have been move active earlier. That's a learning experience.

Plus, my opponent, again, had a VERY good base in the baseball-slide; I gassed trying to work through it.

YouTube - 2009-05 Match 1 (Absolute)

Conclusion:

Things to work on:

- Takedown defense... still. I manage to land in an OK position each time, but that isn't good enough.

- Get off my back and stop depending so much on my guard. GET ON TOP AND STAY THERE.

- My wife yelling at me is the best motivator in the world. Its why I love her (she wants me to succeed).

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    5/17/2009 5:27am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice, Uncle!
    Makes me look more and more forward my own (first) tournament... ;-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/17/2009 5:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Very nice, Uncle!
    Makes me look more and more forward my own (first) tournament... ;-)
    Thanks!

It was definitely a better experience for me at this second one so I hope that they get easier (but not easy).

Nerves were a lot better though they were still there in the background. Hopefully the next tournament (August) won't have a 2 hour workout before it so that I don't gas in my last match :-)

Do you have a tournament scheduled in the near future?

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    5/17/2009 5:41am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    ...Do you have a tournament scheduled in the near future?
    There are several tourneys happening around here, but my neck is not 100% OK plus I feel like I know nothing (yes, I understand this is going to change mostly thanks to attending tourneys... ;-) )

I just counted how many trainings I attended since I started BJJ last October, got to 39 sessions.

Very few, since I almost never can train on all 3 weekly trainings due to family/job...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/17/2009 5:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    There are several tourneys happening around here, but my neck is not 100% OK plus I feel like I know nothing (yes, I understand this is going to change mostly thanks to attending tourneys... ;-) )

I just counted how many trainings I attended since I started BJJ last October, got to 39 sessions.

Very few, since I almost never can train on all 3 weekly trainings due to family/job...
    I hear you on all counts.

Treat that neck well. I am just getting over a bout of inflammation on my neck which is causing weakness in my left arm. Things are better but not 100% yet.

After 2 tournaments, I am realizing that I have a TON to learn about a LOT of different things: nutrition, adrenalin dumps, staying warm, don't overthink, in addition to a lot of other things I can't think of right now because it is 3:45am and my body won't let me sleep.

Just when I think I am SORT OF getting a handle on training, it rears back and slaps me in the face again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast