Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 5:32am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... or you could go the other way and take up escrime ancienne, which is more overtly martial than modern fencing but still probably safer than judo:

http://www.graspe.ca/GMailhot/Article1.html
    http://www.lesduellistes.com/

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 2:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Further on that idea, your judo training might come in handy in studying historical fencing: http://www.youtube.com/user/vaingloria
    Last edited by DdlR; 5/03/2009 2:40pm at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... or you could go the other way and...
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 3:57pm

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by willaume View Post
    no not really, even if take a weapon withrout right of way like epee it as nothing to do with rapier. It is really based on smallsword and the main draw back is that not being killed is very low in the priority list.Though one can argue that rapier is not a proper weapon any way.

really if you are after olympic fencing it is all fine and it has concept that do translate well into martial practice but olympic fencing is as remote to a martial use of a weapon than kendo is.

phil
    George Silver would be proud of you.

After you'd die in a dimlit alley by a street thug with four feet of slim steel.

Fencing is nice, but it can get you used to a lot of bad habits, like bad footwork (45 or 135 degrees for the back foot, not 90 degrees), ultralight weapons (it's lightsaber combat folks!) and other stuff I've heard fencers complain about (right of way and whatnot). I think there was a thread about fencing somewhere in this forum, I don't think it's THAT old.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 12:03am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Épée doesn't have right of way and is the primary focus of the fencing school I want to attend.

Anyway foil is sissy and sabre is more about footwork than bladework. Épée all the way.

I don't really want to learn to fight, I never get into any trouble and I've never been into a physical altercation once in 18 years.

Only reason I got into Judo is that same combativeness. Throwing people on the mats or poking 'em with funny little swords doesn't really matter - I only hunger for competition. Martial arts (that spar) are a prime source of the kind of competition I want to do (even if highly codified like fencing), so there I go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Épée doesn't have right of way and is the primary focus of the fencing school I want to attend.

Anyway foil is sissy and sabre is more about footwork than bladework. Épée all the way.

I don't really want to learn to fight, I never get into any trouble and I've never been into a physical altercation once in 18 years.

Only reason I got into Judo is that same combativeness. Throwing people on the mats or poking 'em with funny little swords doesn't really matter - I only hunger for competition. Martial arts (that spar) are a prime source of the kind of competition I want to do (even if highly codified like fencing), so there I go.
    Well, you do the wrong thing for the right reasons, so respect's all I say.

Have fun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 1:52pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the book "By the Sword" by Richard Cohen.

It talks about the historical use of fencing in war, duels, and tons of other tidbits like Kendo and the relation to fencing.

The writer is an olympic fencing champion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 6:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    Read the book "By the Sword" by Richard Cohen.

It talks about the historical use of fencing in war, duels, and tons of other tidbits like Kendo and the relation to fencing.

The writer is an olympic fencing champion.
    I remember checking out the sword a long time ago (almost a decade), but what I'd heard about it was not very flattering. It appears to be that the writer is the usual sport fencer with little knowledge of actual historical fencing (though I could be wrong).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 7:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a well-written book and it offers a wealth of interesting, little-known info., but I agree that Mr. Cohen's understanding of the earlier fencing styles was outdated, even at the time he was researching the book; he just didn't look in the "right places". IMO the critique by the HEMA community at the time was a bit over the top, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 2:53am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus_dallas View Post
    George Silver would be proud of you.

After you'd die in a dimlit alley by a street thug with four feet of slim steel.

Fencing is nice, but it can get you used to a lot of bad habits, like bad footwork (45 or 135 degrees for the back foot, not 90 degrees), ultralight weapons (it's lightsaber combat folks!) and other stuff I've heard fencers complain about (right of way and whatnot). I think there was a thread about fencing somewhere in this forum, I don't think it's THAT old.
    Well I believe as well that the art of stall throwing is lost in the UK.
    I have to say that if you do not put two hands on it is not a proper sword …..
    All joke aside sprechfecnthen, langen ort, retel are really foil fencing with two handed sword.

If I had time I would like to work on Thibault or Swetenam.

I have done a few seminars in France under the French fencing federation more or less benevolent eyes.
    Due to the way it is in France. I was with a maitre d’arme (foil,sabre,epee in France you have to do the 3 or nothing).
    He could see lots of common points between medieval fencing and Olympic fencing. That being said as you said there is some drawbacks as well.

Even old guard maitre d’arme were surprised that it was not all hacking and whacking. But to fair academic view are changing but changing pretty slowly.
    For example 10 year ago it was believed that you needed stirrups to use a couched lance, which is total rubbish and has been proven wrong several time since.

phil
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12