Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 10:51pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recognising Bullshido in fencing.

It would seem to be that fencing would be quite devoid of bullshido, but one can never be so sure.

I've twisted my knees three times, got hit in the face by a knee one time and got a prettyful shiner, and broke a toe one time in four months of Judo. Under pressure from my momma, I have to find a safer martial art because she's tired of me being hurt all the fucking time because of my clumsiness. I'm not a ***** but my momma is, so I'm looking for a new martial art because she pays (I'm an ultrabroke student) and she decides when it's enough.

I remembered my old love : fencing. I've done a year of fencing. It's awesome. Except I've learned it at college and that was pretty safe.

I have my eye on a school right now, accredited by the national org. But just in case someone is tryin' to yank my chain, what should I look for? I have pretty minimal fencing experience.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really my field, but I'd assume that if the fencing school is affiliated (and in good standing) with a recognized national/international body, has a decent competitive record and a good training atmosphere, it would probably be worth your time.

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 1:03am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a fencing class once where they told me I was allowed to bash people in the face with my forearm guard. My goal from that point onward was to tie the swords up in close range and bash people in the face with my forearm guard.

See if they let you do that. It's fun as hell.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 5:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.fencing.ca/
    Assuming you're in Quebec and the best Canadian fencers come from Quebec you should have no problem finding a school

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 6:08am

Style: sambo, stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second all of the advice given above.

Maybe you should take a few moments to think about your goals though. If you are just looking for a sport you like (and you already said you liked fencing) then its all good. Go ahead, have fun, and may ye win whatever competition you take.

Just do not try to learn fighting at a modern fencing school. Because that is something they can not teach you. Modern fencing is a highly sophisticated (and regulated) sport without martial application.

BTW: If you got hurt that regularly in a Judo class, then your judo teacher probably sucked. Judo was designed to be a safe, yet competitive and "alive" (as in "you learn to actually fight") martial arts sport. **** happens, but not that often. At least not if people know what to do (and what to teach first).

If you liked Judo, you could also add finding another teacher/class/school to your alternatives.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 11:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the club I was considering :

http://www.estoc.ca/

Multiple world-level escrimeurs, medals, 40$ per month, etc, etc. Sounds fine enough. But they only teach épée.

When I was in college I was a sabreur through and through. I rapez0red most of the class in sabre, although we mostly did foil, which I don't like so much.

Time to reinvent myself I think : (

Just do not try to learn fighting at a modern fencing school. Because that is something they can not teach you. Modern fencing is a highly sophisticated (and regulated) sport without martial application.
    Unless you carry a rapier around, that is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 1:10pm

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Unless you carry a rapier around, that is.
    no not really, even if take a weapon withrout right of way like epee it as nothing to do with rapier. It is really based on smallsword and the main draw back is that not being killed is very low in the priority list.Though one can argue that rapier is not a proper weapon any way.

really if you are after olympic fencing it is all fine and it has concept that do translate well into martial practice but olympic fencing is as remote to a martial use of a weapon than kendo is.

phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by willaume View Post
    no not really, even if take a weapon withrout right of way like epee it as nothing to do with rapier. It is really based on smallsword and the main draw back is that not being killed is very low in the priority list.Though one can argue that rapier is not a proper weapon any way.

really if you are after olympic fencing it is all fine and it has concept that do translate well into martial practice but olympic fencing is as remote to a martial use of a weapon than kendo is.

phil
    Well I wasn't expecting to learn how to nick people with fencing so it's all good.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just find out when you can wear that cool cape and mask....

...oh and work on that Z thing....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 2:08am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are doing fine to take up fencing. I fence Saber and Foil with the college club at my school. The place you mentioned originally should be ok as long as its accredited. Fencing is a fine activity for developing quick reflexes and a good eye for distance. It also has strong psychological aspect that is often overlooked. As long as you keep your expectations in perspective and don't expect to be some sort of Larping Musketeer.
    http://www.fencing.net/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast