Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 7:02pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a pair of pre-broken in lacrosse gloves from play-it-again sports just for the hell of it, I already owned a brand new pair but I like the used ones better. Hockey gloves don't have the thumb flexibility, therefore they suck for stick work.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last weekend I picked up a pair of baseball catcher's kneepads/shin guards at a flea market for $15. They look ideal for getting whacked with sticks.

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 10:32pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've thought about grabbing some baseball pads or even a pair of football pants for day to day sparring. I've seen some lacrosse chest gear that looks like it'd work well too.

Right now with school, work, family, BJJ 2x a week, and 1 FMA class a week I don't have much time to spar.

A local guy tracked me down via bullshido or FMAtalk (can't remember which) recently and came to our FMA class. He said he regularly gets up with a group of guys in town to train and spar. I'm not sure what to expect but the guy seemed cool enough so i'll probably get up and see about sparring over my winter break.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    .....And then progressively add some more tools.

Free spar for a round or two, note the results, and then isolate a different tool. Always go back to isolation after noting the results of sparring.
    Exactly!! In Latosa we remove an element for safety. You can limit the set of techniques you are using or even a zone so you don't have to free spar in redman suits. or, you can remove the sticks, and full contact spar using the stick methods empty hand, with just regular boxing/mma gear.

Also, in Latosa training 90% of the time there is ONLY you and the stick. You must be your own Armor!!! So it is good to have some vulnerability in Armored up contact sparring. In Tournaments for Latosa Escrima you are not allowed to have shoulder armor, neck protection yes, but the shoulder is wide open. This helps keep it real and prevents taking hits on the armor on the way in on purpose. They also wore paper makers on the torso to record hits, for a win. It also was single hit elimination. All of these factors make it more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Have you guys tried any additional throat protection for doing sibat sparring? Those thrusts always seem to ride up the chest....
    This is very important. You often have to make some kind of neck collar that goes under to the chin to protect the bottom of the jaw for solid helmets. Latosa people don't hit each-others heads using only fencing masks so I don't know about them.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 1:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen your videos.

Your armor is ridiculous.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    I've seen your videos.

Your armor is ridiculous.
    Don't be so hard on duck tape and cut up wrestling mat. It works, and it is cheap.

edit: and I just added some Manila rope to make it more authentic.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 8:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have school in central Thailand and not much money so we just use lots of cloth wrapped around arms and legs and wore lots of sweatshirts and thick jackets. Was not allowed to strike head but sometimes happened. Sticks were bamboo and hurt even with padding but no one ever hurt bad.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678