Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also recommend shin guards for casual sparring to keep the action going, and shoes if you incorporate foot strikes (getting hit in the feet by people who target them intentionally sucks).

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:26pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    The kendo headgear is kinda nice because it also protects your collarbones somewhat, but know that the headgear is heavy cloth
    Felt padding covered with cloth with leather reinforcement, and a metal cage.
    Also they’re kind of a pain in the ass to put on and off by yourself (kendo classes have everyone help each other out).
    No. Unless it's little kids, people do it themselves. I can put mine on in about 30 seconds.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Felt padding covered with cloth with leather reinforcement, and a metal cage.
    Mine didn't have any leather reinforcement, but it's a pretty crappy one.

No. Unless it's little kids, people do it themselves. I can put mine on in about 30 seconds.
    I guess I'm mistaken about kendo again. I used to use mine for stickwork and once I figured out the long strings it was fine, but still not as easy to use as a fencing mask, which you can literally slide on and off. I've seen pictures of kids in lines tying each others headgear, and it seemed like a good way to do it.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 3:06pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Mine didn't have any leather reinforcement, but it's a pretty crappy one.
    You can see it in this picture. The darker part closer to the grill is leather. It may be missing in some really cheap models - the one I linked isn't particularly expensive though. There's also leather (or fake leather) where the cloth parts attach to the grill, and reinforcing the throat protector.
    I've seen pictures of kids in lines tying each others headgear, and it seemed like a good way to do it.
    Adults have no trouble learning to tie the men. It takes some practice to get quick at it but it's not a big deal. It's also way more secure than a fencing mask.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 4:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    It's also way more secure than a fencing mask.
    This is true. Like I mentioned, one of the great things about a fencing mask is that you can take them off quick. For example, in Dog Brothers matches they try to pull off the masks on the ground when convenient (the third guy in the ring). I wasn't a big fan of the kendo headgear for stickfighting because it was hard to turn my head, which seems like it wouldn't be as much of an issue in kendo because of the two handed weapon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 11:31am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you are actually fighting with baseball bats, stay away from the kendo and kempo masks. They have been developed for the striking of Kendo and are actually too heavy and un-wieldy for a fluid stick fighting encounter.

The regular fencing mask seems a bit under protective, but that will actually make you move out of the way faster. I have never found the looseness of the fit to be a negative factor the option of using it to hit with makes it a plus.

Posted On:
    10/24/2010 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn! I forgot all about this thread, reading through it seems like I posted it so long ago. I've kind of been gone for a while (more school, marriage,honeymoon,ect.) I've been doing BJJ about for 6 mo. now and wish i'd started a while ago. I also have nearly achieved completion of the art of Balintawak Arnis.

Since someone else necroed this i'll jump in with an update to my OP. Since the OP in 5/09 I done a bit of experimenting over the summer of 09 and learned the following: Kendo head-gear (which I already owned before getting into FMA) sucks w/ sticks- it offers more than enough protection, too much if you ask me, it severly limits peripheral vision which I find essential to FMA, and it sucks with any kind of grappling. I followed advice here and got a 3 weapon saber fencing mask (or something like that). It offers more than enough protection for everyday sparring and it's easily removed.

I tried hockey gloves I got from a play-it-again sports in tampa, they worked but left the thumb open to the occasional thum-shot. the hockey gloves were good to start out but also limited my grip. In Florida the only elbow padding I could find at a store was the in-line-skating bubble plastic variety, which I figured is to constricting far any type of fluent full power striking. For a while I ended up with cloth volleyball knee pads for elbow protection, it was a little constricting but it worked. When I went to North Carolina for testing/seminar I dropped into a play-it-again sports just for shits and giggles and found some decent lacrosse gear that works great. The lacrosse elbow pads offer great joint protection while leaving the majority of the forearm and bicep/upperarm with moderatel protection. The lacrosse gloves I found give more flexibility and better grip than hockey gloves with the same great portection.

Up until the last month I was doing some decent live FMA sparring regularly using the described gear; fencing mask,jointed lacrosse elbow pads, lacrosse gloves, random knee pads, and a medium to light stick. When doing routine sparring we still avoid using %100 full power strikes like nearly all striking arts. Now my main concern is finding time to train FMA regularly.

I currently train BJJ 2x a week because they offer 2 6AM classes, and I fit FMA in when I don't have to work or study, usually 1x a week. When I finish school in July my FMA training will pick up again. My goal is to work some form of safe live training into every FMA class, like what I do in BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddels View Post
    Unless you are actually fighting with baseball bats, stay away from the kendo and kempo masks. They have been developed for the striking of Kendo and are actually too heavy and un-wieldy for a fluid stick fighting encounter.

The regular fencing mask seems a bit under protective, but that will actually make you move out of the way faster. I have never found the looseness of the fit to be a negative factor the option of using it to hit with makes it a plus.
    True, Kendo masks are overkill. A decent fencing saber mask is fine with a little control. I took someone here's recommendation and occasionally use fencing headgear to cut down on "looseness" of the mask when i'm working sticks without grappling.Try it.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 2:44pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if this were brought up earlier, but for any of you guys who sweat like a pig (like me) and get sweat in your eyes while wearing a helmet, I highly recommend wearing an Underarmor skull cap. It sops up sweat, doesn't shift around, and keeps your noggin nice and cool. It fits flushly to your head and doesn't alter your helmet's fit at all. They work far better than a bandana.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fenced sabre for years and still had my old helmets so i just used them. We also use lacrosse gloves, finding hockey gloves hinder wrist movement. Hockey masks, short of Itech visors, have holes that a slim stick tip can fit through so we don't use them...

As for weapons we start with light padded sticks, onto heavy taped badded sticks, onto very slim live sticks.

Targetting hands and head (padded areas) initally, thighs next. No intentional exceptionally cheap targetting unless you want to go "matira ang matibay" very quickly.

Knife sparring = Cold steel trainers, mma gloves, and eye protection.

Here are a couple of our guys conditioning for a tournament:
    Largo Mano Sparring

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 4:48am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at having a try at this myself this coming year. This thread seemed to discount the WEKAF style protective gear out of hand really early on. Is this just because you guys feel it offers too much protection, and makes people complacent?

Personally, I'm a *****, so am keen to start off with some pretty hefty protection. At least in the early stages. (Also, will mostly be doing it with fellow students, without instructor supervision). Is the WEKAF stuff the best route for that?

Cost wise, I can get armour, helmet and gloves for about £100 total.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast