Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 6:04am

Style: DBMA, FMA, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Kendo head gear still seems better than the fencing head gear dog bros. use (at least to get started). What do you recommend?

Good idea, thanks. What are sibats?
    Sibat is a 4' to 5' staff.

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 9:08am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Kendo head gear still seems better than the fencing head gear dog bros. use (at least to get started). What do you recommend?
    Have you looked into hockey helmets?

If I was going to use kendo helmets for full-contact stick fighting, I'd probably mod them by adding a layer of full-grain leather to the outside starting below each ear, and insert a layer of closed-cell foam.

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:49pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already asked this one earlier but I guess it got overlooked. My groin is really important to me so i'm gonna ask it again.

What about grion protection? Some of the guys in Dog Bros. look like they're wearing boxing stlye padded belt/underwear thingys (whatever you call em').

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 11:31am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. I don't take a lot of nut shots in stickfighting (it's going horizontal or descending most of the time, so the angle won't funnel it into your junk). When going cupless, I've gotten hit on the tip of the peener before, but never the nuts.

The risk of getting kneed is slightly smaller than MMA/Muay thai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 5:26pm

Style: DBMA, FMA, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your going to do DB gatherings then knees are a reality you'll have to deal with, but for just plain old backyard stick sparring you should be okay if you decide not to wear a cup, but then again its your junk and not mine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 12:57pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

more scrutiny into the head gear

I'm resurrecting this thread because I too am starting stick fighting and of all the parts that I want to protect, my head and my junk are the most important. I have a baseball cup, so I think I'm ok there. However, I am wondering about the differences between hockey and lacrosse helmets.

In my search of both, it seems that the hockey helmets (non goalie) http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12868176...ockey%20helmet, seem to lack protection in the ear area.

Where as lacrosse helmets, (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...acrosse+helmet) seem to be better suited for protecting ears but also seem to be more expensive.

As for both of these helmets:
    -what sort of throat protection do they offer if any?
    -is one helmet "better" at protecting against concussive forces?

After going through a couple if threads, it seems one of the big advantages of the fencing mask is that it offers eye protection as well as a good throat protection. Is there any way to add throat protection to a hockey/lacrosse helmet? As for eye protection, would wearing eye guards such as that for racquet ball work?

any input is much appreciated.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you're wearing pretty much any kind of head protection, getting hit in the head with decent power is going to be incredibly loud to you. I would also add that one of the big advantages of the fencing mask is that it's easy to take on and off. We used to use various sports helmets and figured the fencing masks were overall the best, but keep in mind that a fencing mask bib doesn't provide much protection for the throat. If a solid throat protector is important to you, go with kendo headgear. The kendo headgear is kinda nice because it also protects your collarbones somewhat, but know that the headgear is heavy cloth, not a solid helmet, and the back of the head is open. Also they’re kind of a pain in the ass to put on and off by yourself (kendo classes have everyone help each other out). At lighter contact a fencing mask should be okay, maybe with a cloth layer under it like a beanie. IMHO if you’re training hard enough on a regular basis to warrant beefier headgear you might want to take it down a notch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 1:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the insight, i'll keep that in mind. I am also trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone here and have head gear that is also appropriate for aluminum sword trainer sparring. What you say still applies though, if I'm sparring with someone with control, then the fencing mask should also be adequate. Good food for thought.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aluminum swords hurt like a sonovabitch and you could cave in a mask with one with a power shot, but if you’re using that kind of force then you should probably also have some additional body armor anyway. Some elbow and knee padding is a good idea at that point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree. i train with the atienzas and the sayocs. they have their own recommendations for body armor as one escalates to aluminum trainers.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=TE316
    http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum4895.php
    http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum6341.php

little by little i'll work my way up to having enough gear as shown in their blade simulator vid: YouTube - Atienza Kali level 3 blade sim "USE IT LIKE A BLADE"

however for now, i'm starting with enough gear for stick fighting: helmet, groin, mouth guard, elbow and knee pads
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast