Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 10:02pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would ear plugs give any protection agaqinst hearing damage while wearing a kendo helment? Do the WEKAF helmets protect the back of the head?

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 12:06pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Earplugs are not a terrible idea when wearing hard-shelled helmets. WEKAF helmets have very minimal padding at the back of the head.

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 2:43pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Would ear plugs give any protection agaqinst hearing damage while wearing a kendo helment?
    I have no idea. But that part of the padding is thinner and more flexible than the part on the top, so that it is comfortable over the ears. Legal target in kendo is the top of the head. Ears commonly get hit when people duck the shot, but then it's a glancing blow, with shinai (which are more forgiving than rattan or wood by a long shot) and with someone who is actively stopping the shot at around head height. If you want to take a full-force shot over the ear with a solid stick with roughly 1/4" of felt padding to stop it, be my guest.

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 6:59pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stickhead-

- Is that you I see in the background of Die Less Often?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 9:09pm

Style: DBMA, FMA, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No unfortunately not. I had intended to make that seminar, but things came up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2009 9:11pm

Style: DBMA, FMA, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Would ear plugs give any protection agaqinst hearing damage while wearing a kendo helment? Do the WEKAF helmets protect the back of the head?
    Have you thought about wrestling headgear under your kendo helmet. I know some of the brothers in DB use them under their fencing masks when they fight with sibats.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I have no idea. But that part of the padding is thinner and more flexible than the part on the top, so that it is comfortable over the ears. Legal target in kendo is the top of the head. Ears commonly get hit when people duck the shot, but then it's a glancing blow, with shinai (which are more forgiving than rattan or wood by a long shot) and with someone who is actively stopping the shot at around head height. If you want to take a full-force shot over the ear with a solid stick with roughly 1/4" of felt padding to stop it, be my guest.
    Kendo head gear still seems better than the fencing head gear dog bros. use (at least to get started). What do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by StickHead View Post
    Have you thought about wrestling headgear under your kendo helmet. I know some of the brothers in DB use them under their fencing masks when they fight with sibats.
    Good idea, thanks. What are sibats?

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 10:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about grion protection? Some of the guys in Dog Bros. look like they're wearing boxing stlye pads.

I'm just using Dog Bros. as an example because thats the only full contact stick fighting i've seen. Whatever I come up with for full contact dosen't necessarily have to copy the Dog Bros. it's more of a reference point to me.

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 12:01am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also the no-pads stick sparring the Sayocs did in the stickgrappling video, which ended up looking very different from the fighting at the gathering. A lot more jabbing and mid-line shots, and not as much long-range mobility. Tons more clinch.

Posted On:
    5/08/2009 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    There's also the no-pads stick sparring the Sayocs did in the stickgrappling video, which ended up looking very different from the fighting at the gathering. A lot more jabbing and mid-line shots, and not as much long-range mobility. Tons more clinch.
    I plan on looking it up. Any vids you can post just that demonstrate particularly what your talking about?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast