Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11
    mojo23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    364
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean Real Contact instead of Full Contact? Full contact stick fighting means you're covered in padding, but fight with naked sticks. You'll still get plenty bruised, especially if you use heavier sticks. Real contact is what the Dog Brothers do, and you should probably be pretty comfortable sparring before you start with that.

    I'd recommend starting with padded sticks like Smak-Stiks (which are pretty soft) and then maybe moving to Lameco sticks, which are padded rattan before going to actual rattan. Once you get to rattan you'll want a fencing helment, hockey gloves or the like, and probably elbow and/or knee pads.

    As War Wheel said, don't do this if you can't afford to get injured. I've gotten plenty bruised wearing full WEKAF gear.

  2. #12
    jspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,709
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo23 View Post
    Do you mean Real Contact instead of Full Contact? Full contact stick fighting means you're covered in padding, but fight with naked sticks. You'll still get plenty bruised, especially if you use heavier sticks. Real contact is what the Dog Brothers do, and you should probably be pretty comfortable sparring before you start with that.

    I'd recommend starting with padded sticks like Smak-Stiks (which are pretty soft) and then maybe moving to Lameco sticks, which are padded rattan before going to actual rattan. Once you get to rattan you'll want a fencing helment, hockey gloves or the like, and probably elbow and/or knee pads.

    As War Wheel said, don't do this if you can't afford to get injured. I've gotten plenty bruised wearing full WEKAF gear.

    I think I meant full contact at least to start. Real naked sticks with sufficient proctetive padding for the fighter. I still don't want to be overprotected so as to freely accept strikes with no fear of getting hit.

    I can afford brusises,knots and the like, it's stitsches/concussions I'm more worried about-the injuries that cost money to fix.

    I've messed around with the padded "smak-stiks" (or something similiar,don't remember the name) I don't like the way it seems to change your blocks w/ the stick. The padded Lameco sticks sound like a good place to start. I don't have any though so i'd have to buy some.

    How does this sound to start out : (against a lighter to med. weight rattan stick) head protection (maybe a kendo "man" if that will hold up to the strikes), hand, wrist & forearm protection, and ellbow and knee pads. Oh, a cup wouldn't hurt too. If I used this gear to work live drills and short sparring rounds to start off would I at least be on the right track?

  3. #13
    StickHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi,Texas
    Posts
    72
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    How does this sound to start out : (against a lighter to med. weight rattan stick) head protection (maybe a kendo "man" if that will hold up to the strikes), hand, wrist & forearm protection, and ellbow and knee pads. Oh, a cup wouldn't hurt too. If I used this gear to work live drills and short sparring rounds to start off would I at least be on the right track?
    I think this would be a good way to start, but don't try to turn each other into vegetables. The only thing I would change, in time, is the headgear (i.e. move to a fencing mask).

  4. #14
    mojo23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    364
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    The padded Lameco sticks sound like a good place to start. I don't have any though so i'd have to buy some.
    I think Nick has them at bloodsport.com, or at least he used to.

    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy
    How does this sound to start out : (against a lighter to med. weight rattan stick) head protection (maybe a kendo "man" if that will hold up to the strikes), hand, wrist & forearm protection, and ellbow and knee pads. Oh, a cup wouldn't hurt too. If I used this gear to work live drills and short sparring rounds to start off would I at least be on the right track?
    Yeah, I think that sounds good. Good luck with that.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you guys tried any additional throat protection for doing sibat sparring? Those thrusts always seem to ride up the chest....

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StickHead View Post
    I think this would be a good way to start, but don't try to turn each other into vegetables. The only thing I would change, in time, is the headgear (i.e. move to a fencing mask).
    Fun fact- My new Muay Thai teacher is the guy who taught Salty Dog krabi Krabong.

  7. #17
    escrimador6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been using these for about six months and love them. Hurt enough to let you know you just got hit but won't damage you too much. I would suggest getting the ones with the handles. I have the ones without and it can be hard for people with smaller hands to hold onto them.

    http://www.allthingsfilipino.com/ind...?categoryID=91

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those look cool. Don't they have a rattan core?

  9. #19
    escrimador6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Those look cool. Don't they have a rattan core?
    They do have a rattan core. So far they have been the best padded stick I have used.

    I have also tried those cheap padded sticks from Century with the plastic core, which are pretty much worthless. They bend to much and you barely feel the hit, no matter how hard someone is swinging.

    The Action Flex sticks are a bit better but still get a whipping action to them due to the softer core and don't hurt that much. The handles on them are nice, but that's really the only thing they have going for them.

  10. #20
    JohnnyCache's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,527
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can attest the ATF sticks are probably the closest to "just right" - and the core is replaceable. I haven't been hit with one yet, but a little self testing revealed a nice compromise between padding and, ah "response"


Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO