Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 4:41pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean Real Contact instead of Full Contact? Full contact stick fighting means you're covered in padding, but fight with naked sticks. You'll still get plenty bruised, especially if you use heavier sticks. Real contact is what the Dog Brothers do, and you should probably be pretty comfortable sparring before you start with that.

I'd recommend starting with padded sticks like Smak-Stiks (which are pretty soft) and then maybe moving to Lameco sticks, which are padded rattan before going to actual rattan. Once you get to rattan you'll want a fencing helment, hockey gloves or the like, and probably elbow and/or knee pads.

As War Wheel said, don't do this if you can't afford to get injured. I've gotten plenty bruised wearing full WEKAF gear.

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 8:07pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo23 View Post
    Do you mean Real Contact instead of Full Contact? Full contact stick fighting means you're covered in padding, but fight with naked sticks. You'll still get plenty bruised, especially if you use heavier sticks. Real contact is what the Dog Brothers do, and you should probably be pretty comfortable sparring before you start with that.

I'd recommend starting with padded sticks like Smak-Stiks (which are pretty soft) and then maybe moving to Lameco sticks, which are padded rattan before going to actual rattan. Once you get to rattan you'll want a fencing helment, hockey gloves or the like, and probably elbow and/or knee pads.

As War Wheel said, don't do this if you can't afford to get injured. I've gotten plenty bruised wearing full WEKAF gear.

I think I meant full contact at least to start. Real naked sticks with sufficient proctetive padding for the fighter. I still don't want to be overprotected so as to freely accept strikes with no fear of getting hit.

I can afford brusises,knots and the like, it's stitsches/concussions I'm more worried about-the injuries that cost money to fix.

I've messed around with the padded "smak-stiks" (or something similiar,don't remember the name) I don't like the way it seems to change your blocks w/ the stick. The padded Lameco sticks sound like a good place to start. I don't have any though so i'd have to buy some.

How does this sound to start out : (against a lighter to med. weight rattan stick) head protection (maybe a kendo "man" if that will hold up to the strikes), hand, wrist & forearm protection, and ellbow and knee pads. Oh, a cup wouldn't hurt too. If I used this gear to work live drills and short sparring rounds to start off would I at least be on the right track?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 9:26pm

Style: DBMA, FMA, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    How does this sound to start out : (against a lighter to med. weight rattan stick) head protection (maybe a kendo "man" if that will hold up to the strikes), hand, wrist & forearm protection, and ellbow and knee pads. Oh, a cup wouldn't hurt too. If I used this gear to work live drills and short sparring rounds to start off would I at least be on the right track?
    I think this would be a good way to start, but don't try to turn each other into vegetables. The only thing I would change, in time, is the headgear (i.e. move to a fencing mask).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 9:04am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    The padded Lameco sticks sound like a good place to start. I don't have any though so i'd have to buy some.
    I think Nick has them at bloodsport.com, or at least he used to.

Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy
    Yeah, I think that sounds good. Good luck with that.

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 3:47pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you guys tried any additional throat protection for doing sibat sparring? Those thrusts always seem to ride up the chest....

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 10:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StickHead View Post
    I think this would be a good way to start, but don't try to turn each other into vegetables. The only thing I would change, in time, is the headgear (i.e. move to a fencing mask).
    Fun fact- My new Muay Thai teacher is the guy who taught Salty Dog krabi Krabong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 11:03am

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been using these for about six months and love them. Hurt enough to let you know you just got hit but won't damage you too much. I would suggest getting the ones with the handles. I have the ones without and it can be hard for people with smaller hands to hold onto them.

http://www.allthingsfilipino.com/ind...?categoryID=91

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those look cool. Don't they have a rattan core?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 11:45am

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Those look cool. Don't they have a rattan core?
    They do have a rattan core. So far they have been the best padded stick I have used.

I have also tried those cheap padded sticks from Century with the plastic core, which are pretty much worthless. They bend to much and you barely feel the hit, no matter how hard someone is swinging.

The Action Flex sticks are a bit better but still get a whipping action to them due to the softer core and don't hurt that much. The handles on them are nice, but that's really the only thing they have going for them.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 11:57am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can attest the ATF sticks are probably the closest to "just right" - and the core is replaceable. I haven't been hit with one yet, but a little self testing revealed a nice compromise between padding and, ah "response"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast