Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 7:35pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting full contact stick sparring?

I'm trying to get the guy I train FMA w/ to incorporate some full contact stick work into our regime. He dosen't seem highly receptive to the idea though. Regardless, I find to plan find someone to fight w/ sticks someday. Any advice on how start? Is it something you ease into or is it just balls to the wall bash head w/ stick? What kind of gear is recommended? I assume it depends on what I want to do with the sparring. I'd like to emulate reality as best as possible wthout killing/seriously hurting myself along the way (I can't afford to miss school or work due to injury right now). As far as I'm concerned point sparring is a crappy excuse for stick fighting. I'd like to include grappling as much as possible even though I don't know much about it right now. WHat gear best accomdates this type of sparring?

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 7:38pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you guys do any padded or WEKAF sparring right now?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 7:40pm

Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I did the Kali thing in my younger day, we wore: headgear (something like this> http://www.totalmartialartssupplies....-headgear.html), those bulky Bruce Lee gloves, elbow pads, body protector, knee pads, and shin guards. Be sure to incorporate strikes and kicks into your sparring to make it even more fun.

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Do you guys do any padded or WEKAF sparring right now?
    No. we do a counter-to-counter "drill" which involves one person attacking and the other blocking while counter punching/striking & pulling punches its done "random" as there is no choreography to it, but it's still a far cry from live sparring if you ask me. There's an occasional bump or bruise but the emphasis of this is defense and control. Now i'd like to apply the defense and control i've learned to sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaRonin View Post
    When I did the Kali thing in my younger day, we wore: headgear (something like this> http://www.totalmartialartssupplies....-headgear.html), those bulky Bruce Lee gloves, elbow pads, body protector, knee pads, and shin guards. Be sure to incorporate strikes and kicks into your sparring to make it even more fun.
    I like the head gear. I also like what someone mentioned elsewhere on this site about how the dog bros. shy away from heavy head gear beacause they don't want guys "brushing" off a strike. I like that mentality I just can't afford medical bills or time off work/school right now, so i'll probably try out that head gear you posted when I get going. Elbow and knee pads sound good. I may leave out the body protector and shin guards though. we'll see how many hits it takes for me to change my mind. As for strikes and kicks.. they're a must!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I find to plan find someone to fight w/ sticks someday.

I know where you can find such a guy!!! :fist:

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fencing helmet, street hockey gloves, maybe elbow pads. If you can't afford to get injured, don't go near this.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 10:38pm

Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I may leave out the body protector and shin guards though.
    If you're schooled in jabbing and using the butt of the stick, you'll quickly reconsider leaving out body protection. I wouldn't go so far as bulking up like the Michelin Man, but you're going to get hurt without something there. Also, in my Kali sparring the limbs were the first target and we moved into the body only after "defanging the snake." Exposed joints and especially those planted shins are inviting targets.

Oh yeah... Have a high pain tolerance. You'll get welts all over the arms and legs.

Posted On:
    5/01/2009 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, right now you've introduced some moves and reactions. Just starting straight out sparring without alive drilling in-between might not be the best way to start(although you'll get there pretty quickly). You want to start off isolating tools.

I also highly reccomend the dog brothers series 2 dvds. They have a lot of good, simple drills you'll be able to use quickly. I'm told the Atienza DvD's have decent sparring drills too, but they don't have their stuff up on bushido dvd.

But, for example, let's say you've got a decent inside deflection. You want to get good at that. So let's start with the simplest free play. Both of you can throw the fluid diagnal forehand strike, and you can also do inside deflection. Your opponent, with no rythym and with free footwork, triest to manuver around and actually hit you with that shot, with decreasing telegraphing. You sometimes respond with the number one of your own to make him employ defense footwork or aggressive closing like a real opponent, and try to land the inside deflection without letting him know when you're going to do that.

And then progressively add some more tools.

Free spar for a round or two, note the results, and then isolate a different tool. Always go back to isolation after noting the results of sparring.

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 12:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I know where you can find such a guy!!! :fist:
    Great just what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaRonin View Post
    If you're schooled in jabbing and using the butt of the stick, you'll quickly reconsider leaving out body protection. I wouldn't go so far as bulking up like the Michelin Man, but you're going to get hurt without something there. Also, in my Kali sparring the limbs were the first target and we moved into the body only after "defanging the snake." Exposed joints and especially those planted shins are inviting targets.
    Oh yeah... Have a high pain tolerance. You'll get welts all over the arms and legs.
    We do a lot of jabbing/pokes w/ the sticks and we use the butt..of the stick a lot. So maybe body protection wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    So, right now you've introduced some moves and reactions. Just starting straight out sparring without alive drilling in-between might not be the best way to start(although you'll get there pretty quickly). You want to start off isolating tools.

I also highly reccomend the dog brothers series 2 dvds. They have a lot of good, simple drills you'll be able to use quickly. I'm told the Atienza DvD's have decent sparring drills too, but they don't have their stuff up on bushido dvd.

But, for example, let's say you've got a decent inside deflection. You want to get good at that. So let's start with the simplest free play. Both of you can throw the fluid diagnal forehand strike, and you can also do inside deflection. Your opponent, with no rythym and with free footwork, triest to manuver around and actually hit you with that shot, with decreasing telegraphing. You sometimes respond with the number one of your own to make him employ defense footwork or aggressive closing like a real opponent, and try to land the inside deflection without letting him know when you're going to do that.

And then progressively add some more tools.

Free spar for a round or two, note the results, and then isolate a different tool. Always go back to isolation after noting the results of sparring.
    I've got the Dog Bros. dvds I've watched them a little but haven't had much time since I got them to watch. I'll check em' out again.

SO start out with shorter sparring rounds and work sparring oriented drills to start out? Is it advisable to start with lighter contact to begin getting used to taking strikes, or is it best just to jump right in with the full power?

Posted On:
    5/02/2009 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally only go full power during full-on sparring or during long-range cycle drills. During "exploring" stages, I don't think you want people to be gun-shy. You want intent, but I think it's an excellent time to break out the padded sticks.

Question to those who have already posted. What's your opinion on hand-sparring? (Ie, restricted to hand shots). I'm kind of against it as a drill.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast