Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 6:50pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, me too. I might be a big white boy with a doo rag, but ****... At least I can see because I don't have sweat in my eyes. And I sweat like a mofo.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You can't do it with your fingers. Lots of people keep a small stick tucked away to scratch their nose with or whatever. No way to wipe the sweat unless you remove the men - that's why you wear the tenugui (cotton head towel), it traps the sweat and keeps it out of your eyes.
    I scratch my face with a training knife through the grill, since I usually have one hidden in my waistband when stickfighting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2009 3:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: trad Ju Jitsu; Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of people in my club use cricket gloves - they buy one left-handed pair and one right-handed to get protection for both thumbs. Personally I use leather Kali gloves (bought from www.blitzsport.com) with thick plastic padding on the backs. The protection's great but the grip is very slippery. I took my instructor's advice and cut out the palms which made a big difference. It also made the gloves more flexible.

As for forearm protection, in Doce Pares competitions (and in training) they just lecture you NOT to use the forearm to block, and judges are under strict instructions to mark you down if you do it. That said a lot of people dispense with protectors anyway as they feel it slows them down. Speaking for myself I'd rather have them to be on the safe side, but good instruction means that I'm gradually overcoming the instinct to fling an arm in the way when the stick comes crashing in.

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't find a photo of glove that we use.
    It is similar to this one (dogbrothers.com/images/handguard1.jpg), but our gloves are made of leather.

There are some photos of helmets that we use:
    - photo 1 (cs9596.userapi.com/u29567186/139715423/y_b18a9bbd.jpg)
    - photo 2 (cs5316.userapi.com/u29567186/139715423/y_2ed8c238.jpg)
    - photo 3 (cs9596.userapi.com/u29567186/139715423/y_799b62aa.jpg)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 2:47pm

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally use a pair of Harbinger weight lifting gloves with the pad from the palm removed. They provide minimal padding of the knuckles so that you can still feel when contact is made, but you can take a bit of heat without causing real damage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 3:47pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most important thing to me is palm/stick contact. Protection is actually secondary in importance, though I still would like a little more than batting glove thickness. What I do use has no hard plastic inserts.

Started out with hockey gloves. Thumb didn't bend so it was hard to hold onto a stick. Occasionally the artificial straightness of the thumb would allow strikes to land right on the tip. Ouch!! The Lacrosse gloves were okay but a little flimsy, same palm contact problem.

I am presently using a pair of the KIL gloves and am thinking of cutting the palm out but for the moment have taped them with and extra ridge for grip.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 8:38am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddels View Post
    I am presently using a pair of the KIL gloves and am thinking of cutting the palm out but for the moment have taped them with and extra ridge for grip.
    I always cut the palms out - I have zero grip otherwise.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like those KIL gloves. When my hockey gloves wear out, I'll look into those.

I couldn't see wearing much less because I took some good shots to the hand last night that probably would have broke something.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 9:43pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far lacrosse glove are my favorite for hard contact sparring. I started out with hockey gloves but the thumb limits ability to grip as mentioned. Lacrosse gloves offer the same protection and have a flexible thumb. Play It Again Sports is a good place to get cheap lacrosse gloves. Although, I don't think there's one in PCola Diesel. Lacrosse gear is kind of scarce in the south as well.

Also, I like the better quality jointed elbow pads used in lacrosse. They're the only pads i've found that don't limit elbow mobility. They're great for regular sparring but they might offer more protection than desired.

On a side note I'm trying to find some knee pads similar to the jointed elbow pads used in lacrosse. I want something that dosen't limit mobility, protects the sides of the knee (which few pads do), and offers maximum impact protection (for my relatively recent knee injury).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, we used to have a play it again sports, but it closed years ago. I've got my thumb nailed a few good times. Sucks! I would like some better elbow pads, mine are just some cheap skate pads and they are constantly competing to either slide down or cut off circulation.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456