Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/27/2009 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ARRRRGH! Ammo shortage drives me to consider getting a .25.

OK, I have not been able to get .45 ACP for my Ruger P97DC. I had been considering getting an expensive .45, such as a high end 1911, or a HK 45, for participating in competitions, but now it seems like wherever I go there is no .45 ACP, and this ammo shortage is really getting to me.

Next month I'd been hoping to participate in a Las Vegas Steel steel shooting competition, and I was going to buy like 5 magazines for my P97, a belt, and lots of ammo. But right now I don't have enough .45 ACP to compete, and when I went ammo shopping on Sunday I stopped by a Big 5 and two Wal Marts and their shelves were all bare, so I feel extremely frustrated.

The only pistol cartridges that seem to consistiently be in stock are .32 and .25, because nobody shoots those.

But damn, if that is the only ammo I can consistiently get, it is enough to make me consider getting a .25 for competitions.

Am I just being crazy and silly in my frustration, or does that idea have merit?

What I'd really need would be a big .25 with a full length barrel and decent sights for competition. As opposed to a dinky concealable little handgun which wouldn't give me the accuracy (read, "sight resolution") I need. (I suppose I could always practice with the .25 with the goal of attaining uncanny accuracy with it.) Are there any big .25s? Maybe something by Beretta?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 7:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried going around local stores and bulk ordering? I get .45 hardball for most prastice I do by the case. Shotgun News will have the info for you.

Now, I haven't bought any in a while, so that may be dry too.

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 8:29am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7.62x25 is apparently still cheap. Get a Tokarev.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 12:57pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post

Yep this is a good answer. I have one in 9mm and I love it. I even wrote a tread about it.

Gun cost $75
    Reloading dies 28.00
    Free brass (picked up myself.)
    I use the same cast bullets for my .38 sp 115 gr round nose.
    gets to be pretty cheap in the long run for a lot of fun.

PT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 1:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will they let you shoot a .25 or .32 at that competition?

I think it will be hard finding a .25 or .32 with the sights, trigger, capacity, and ergonomics that you want.

You mentioned buying a new gun - a 1911. If you had a 1911 (or a Glock, SIG, etc.), I would suggest you get a .22 conversion for it. .22 is cheap, still readily available (at least here) and trigger time is trigger time. It will let you practice cheap and save up to buy the more expensive .45 (when you can find it). A good dry-fire program is also something to consider.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 6:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post

This thought had also crossed my mind. Do you have any recommendations as to which tokarev to buy?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 6:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by autospike View Post
    Will they let you shoot a .25 or .32 at that competition?

I think it will be hard finding a .25 or .32 with the sights, trigger, capacity, and ergonomics that you want.

You mentioned buying a new gun - a 1911. If you had a 1911 (or a Glock, SIG, etc.), I would suggest you get a .22 conversion for it. .22 is cheap, still readily available (at least here) and trigger time is trigger time. It will let you practice cheap and save up to buy the more expensive .45 (when you can find it). A good dry-fire program is also something to consider.
    With the steel shooting you can shoot just about anything, although it would affect what category you compete in.

I cannot get any .22LR either! The shelves are bare because that is actually a widely used caliber.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 6:58pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just bought a XD in 9mm* and the guy at the shop apologized because he had no ammo. I'm hoping the range will have some when I go there this weekend.

*Its a tactical model, with the 5 inch barrel and "earth tone" frame.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 7:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, because of this thread, and because I always secretly wanted a Tokarev, I went ahead and got myself a Romanian Tokarev, 900 rounds of Norinco ammunition, and 10 mags, all for around $500. What a deal!

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 8:47pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the Romanian Toks myself. I haven't had too much ammo trouble, though. Just gotta keep checking in the right places. I've still got 100 rounds of American Eagle brass from my last .45 outing. I'm also really enjoying the ease in which I can find .40 for my Glock 23.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast