Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 8:47am

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree its very likely that the transition from junk food to a better managed diet could have something to do with it. I'll see if I can find this article I've read about the vegan diet. In short it showed that statistically vegans have the lowest rates of heart disease which I thought was interesting. Also as for the protein, calcium , and iron deficiencies go I have hear about vegans having Iron deficiencies although I've never had a problem with it I get my iron from non-heme sources like asparagus, pumpkin seeds which are also good for prostate health and occasionally I'll take some black strap molasses for a supplement. For protein I eat a lot of legumes mixed with a grain like rice which creates a complete protein and for calcium I drink an enriched rice milk instead of soy milk which has to much estrogen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 8:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash View Post

It is easy to find lots of people who have wonderful success being vegan athletes.
    yep look at Mac Danzig

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 8:56am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being vegetarian/vegan is one of those things that you have to work really hard at just to take up the slack of cutting out the best thing that ever happened to humanity's ancestors [eating meat, which just happens to be incredibly high in energy] so it's not anything I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't have a significant amount of time or understanding to devote to it. 99.9999% of vegetarians my age [20 or below] are simply aenemic or incredibly dependant on supplements. The amount and diversity of food you'd have to eat if you weren't chewing pills like crazy would be staggering. The omegas, calcium, protein, saturated fat [which an increasing amount of literature is suggesting isn't anywhere near as harmful as originally suggested], etc etc.

There's a very good reason why the vast majority of successful athletes are omnivores. I challenge you to find me a significant number of olympic weightlifting gold medalists who are vegan.

Plus meat, eggs and milk just taste fucking great. You poor saps are really missing out.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long-time veggie, never been vegan...
    With supplements (I've even found vegan creatine) being as effective as they are, I can't see any vegan with a clue needing to have any deficiencies.
    Sure, it would take some work to understand what you were missing out on from not eating a varied diet and then sourcing the right supplements (making sure your calcium tablet isn't made from ground up kittens etc), but it should be pretty straight forwards.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is almost always more healthy to get vitamins/minerals from actual food versus supplements (for example, the flavanoid/antioxidants).

Meat provides (among other nutrients) iron, b12, and all essential amino acids, which vegetarians (and especially vegans) often lack in their diet and usually must rely on supplements.

If you go vegetarian, I'd recommend that you still consume dairy products as this will make things much easier.

A well-rounded vegetarian diet will probably put you on a similar level of a well-rounded omnivore diet either way.

The biggest gripe I have with vegetarians is that it's more of a political/activist statement rather than a dietary concern for many of them (or at least the ones who actively inform others that they are vegetarian).

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe you guys eat commercial plants. Aren't you worried about all the animals killed or displaced by agriculture?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I can't believe you guys eat commercial plants. Aren't you worried about all the animals killed or displaced by agriculture?
    I prefer to eat organic produce which usually doesn't displace or kill any animals.

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxSanshou View Post
    I prefer to eat organic produce which usually doesn't displace or kill any animals.
    And harm all those defenseless plants? What have they ever done to you?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 11:09am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Much less than are killed/displaced by livestock production. C'mon, don't be a dick. Are we really degrading this thread that quick?

I am always amused at how many people who aren't vegan say how hard it is to be vegan when I have never had that much trouble and never heard other vegans say how hard it is.

There won't ever be a significant number of Olympic weightlifters that are vegan because there is only a small percentage of people that want to be.

Further more...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 11:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrogantBastard View Post
    It is almost always more healthy to get vitamins/minerals from actual food versus supplements (for example, the flavanoid/antioxidants).

Meat provides (among other nutrients) iron, b12, and all essential amino acids, which vegetarians (and especially vegans) often lack in their diet and usually must rely on supplements.

If you go vegetarian, I'd recommend that you still consume dairy products as this will make things much easier.

A well-rounded vegetarian diet will probably put you on a similar level of a well-rounded omnivore diet either way.

The biggest gripe I have with vegetarians is that it's more of a political/activist statement rather than a dietary concern for many of them (or at least the ones who actively inform others that they are vegetarian).
    Meat provides, Iron, B12, and the essential amino acids, but all of these things can be found in produce as well , for instance where do you think the meat gets it from? It's just a lot of vegans are i'll informed about the things that are necessary to maintain a healthy vegan diet and it's usually the ones trying to make a political/activist statement rather than improve their health that have this problem. I've been one since before I could spell politics LOL I genuinely do it for my health.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast