Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 9:36am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    I have a student who is thoroughly into the system, so he's seen alot of benefit for what he is interested in. I will say that it has reduced his flexibility and range of motion as far as what he ought to be doing for us.

As a Sambo/Judo specific workout, unsuprisingly, it kind of sucks. He wants the beach-body and fat% reduction and so I think he's getting what he wants as far as that goes. It is a very "frontal" workout. So dudes/chicks who want to flex it in front of a camera will feel great. The volume and intensity is good as far as what you can get out of that, and the simlple tools overlayed with the complexity of routines can serve to keep people interested and engaged.

But I've been bitching at him about muscling-himself about with his now huger-arms when he should be more relaxed and moving like a fracking wrestler not a fracking B-movie action star.
    How did it reduce his flexibility?

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 10:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the routines are specific to body-sculpting. What we'd do for a strength building warmup would be sumo squats with a partner in a fireman's carry or circular/cabbage-patch push-ups or anything that will -hopefully- address wrestling and conditioning and range of motion simultaneously.

His arm strength is much improved, in the basic pushup/pullup direction but that has served to limit his shoulder-travel. You need a routine that brings alot of compensatory motions.

Emevas, for instance, emphasizes the basic routines. Done well (i.e. commitment and increasing resistance) a power-squat will improve the range of motion of your hips; it has to! or you will destroy your back.

Bench presses will increase your shoulder-range since the downward pressure of gravity is working on your shoulders whereas pushups limit travel as you come flat to the floor. Unless you begin to use parallette bars as you gain strength, or switch to gym rings or something.

discuss?
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my .02
    A friend of mine started doing this about a month ago. I don't know if she is still going strong. From what she told me some of the workouts are over an hour long or something like 16 mins of crunches. Regardless of whether or not the system might theoretically work, for the average person that much exercise each day is unsustainable.

I think even in their literature, they say that is it not the first training you should try. The p90x was meant to be for people who have already plateau-ed.

Well I don't know if that adds anything. I just think sustainability is more important than theoretical results.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 11:31am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I checked out the first DVD yesterday. First I will say that it comes with a fitness test that they expect you to pass before you start. If you cant do it, then you cant do the program it seems. So it's not really for someone who is totally and completely out of shape and hasnt lifted a dumbell ever.

So far it's been a lot of pushups and pullups (chest and back disc). They have some interesting ways of doing pushups; I've always just done 'regular' ones. The pullups... ah.. well I cant do very many, so it's hard when you do a 'set' then you do other stuff and he wants you to come back to do anther; i'm already burnt out by then! But it's been fun.

The guy is motivating and so are the background people. It's nice to hear him grunt and have his voice strain when he is doing the exercises while trying to explain them. They show you a couple of different ways to do each exercise too, as well as how to do them with dumbells or bands.

That's just my impressions from the first DVD.

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 4:02pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a friend on it and he's seeing definite results in the areas of fat reduction and muscle toning.

I have the videos as well and I intend to do a few of the workouts once in a while when I can't go out or just for something different (the plyometrics, cardio, yoga, and stretching ones interest me) but my goals revolve around getting stronger so the overall program is not for me.

One thing I can say is that the workouts can be brutal, so as stated there's no magic involved in the results you get, just plain old hard work. Oh, and some of them are definitely over an hour long with warm-up, cool-down and the abs routine.

I think a lot of the same criticism coaches have of systems like Crossfit can be applied to P90x in that its approach is effective for increasing muscular endurance but not maximal strength.
    Last edited by rw4th; 5/05/2009 4:20pm at .
    <insert witty comment>

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having not read much else, I'm just going to say that, as much as I'm not a fan of the methodology, I'd advocate crossfit over P90X
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 5:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Having not read much else, I'm just going to say that, as much as I'm not a fan of the methodology, I'd advocate crossfit over P90X
    LOL, wait if you havent read much else, then how can you advocate one over another? That said I'd be interested in looking onto 'crossfit'. Is that a DVD set? I've never heard of it.

Tonights dvd is plyometric. I dont even know what that is. Should be fun!

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 6:13pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crossfit.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 7:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link. I checked out crossfit on wikipedia and it sounds similar to the p90x program. I'll have to try it out when I'm done trying my hand at this.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they are both way overpriced...but you can get the crossfit WOD for free.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast