Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've only heard and seen good things about PX90, but newbie999 is right. you'll get a good fat burning workout and some muscle build. but you wont be entering any body building shows with it.

i also agree with his statement that consistancy with MA training should negate the need for PX90.

but, like i said before. i've only heard good things about it all. the people ive seen use it all got good results.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 2:05pm

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I agree it's a great system, but it just doesn't fit the needs of a martial artist looking to supplement his/her MA training with strength training. It is great for anyone looking to lose weight or just get in great shape which like I stated is what most average people want to do anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 3:08pm

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like others have said, P90X is basically the casual man's program. Bunch of guys from my gym have used it over the years and if you follow, it gives what it promises - a beach body, nothing more.

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 4:22pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's the MetCon element?

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 4:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post

3: Muscle confusion. Everyone has a hardon about this aspect of the program. Your body isn't dumb. You aren't "tricking" it into progressing because one day you did curls and the next day you did spider curls. It's just a mutation of the idea of progressive resistance. A GREAT way to "confuse" your muscles is by adding more weight or more reps to your workout every single time you step in the gym. Look at programs like Starting Strength, where you stick with the same movement for over a YEAR and STILL keep making progress, because every time you step into the gym you add more weight to the bar. It doesn't take anything overly complicated to make progress, just hard ass work, which most people would rather substitute by switching movements constantly.

I've wondered about this. Given the above, why do guys with combat sports backgrounds (like Ross Enamait) stress NOT sticking to a single routine week to week so much in their general fitness stuff?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 4:33pm

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marasi221 View Post
    Like others have said, P90X is basically the casual man's program. Bunch of guys from my gym have used it over the years and if you follow, it gives what it promises - a beach body, nothing more.
    I wouldn't really call it a casual man's program, it's a good program, it just doesn't work for someone looking to get huge or a MA looking for functional strengthening. If you want a casual men's program, then go join a Planet Fitness lol. I can see though how someone can build a killer body using the program to supplement a strong weightlifting program which is what I considered before deciding to get into Martial Arts because it's killer cardio. Martial Arts and a solid instructor more than replaces a system like PX90. I know a few huge lean dudes who aren't big on muscle confusion but rather the overload principal (which is what Emevas is talking about) used in such programs like Max OT.
    Last edited by newbie999; 5/04/2009 4:46pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    I've wondered about this. Given the above, why do guys with combat sports backgrounds (like Ross Enamait) stress NOT sticking to a single routine week to week so much in their general fitness stuff?

Now we're on two different points. Are we talking about muscle building or conditioning?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 6:05pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    I personally wouldn't see the need for PX90 if your consistent with your martial arts classes. I would think you just need a solid lifting program to supplement your MA training.
    After talking to my coach, and a few training partners more knowledgeable than myself on this issue, I came to the same conclusion. I've commenced a basic lifting program three mornings per week, which takes about 45 minutes to complete and essentially revolves around Olympic lifts, at high weight, low reps.

I'm satisfied with my conditioning and size, but am hoping to develop more strength. As I've never really been a lifter, I'm expecting solid gains if I'm consistent.

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now we're on two different points. Are we talking about muscle building or conditioning?
    Ah. That probably answered my question.

Does targeting different strength qualities have something to do with it as well?(a different mix of maximal, explosive, muscle endurance, etc)

Posted On:
    5/04/2009 8:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will applaud P90X for getting people off the couch, but for the way the infomercials promote it and it's cultlike following, I just don't see what is so fantastic about it. I get tired of my friends telling me they're on P90X while they eat their 4th donut, or people in the gym talking about the great secret of "muscle confusion" and giving me a smug glance as I work on my front squats for the 6th week in a row. Oh when will I ever learn.
    I have a student who is thoroughly into the system, so he's seen alot of benefit for what he is interested in. I will say that it has reduced his flexibility and range of motion as far as what he ought to be doing for us.

As a Sambo/Judo specific workout, unsuprisingly, it kind of sucks. He wants the beach-body and fat% reduction and so I think he's getting what he wants as far as that goes. It is a very "frontal" workout. So dudes/chicks who want to flex it in front of a camera will feel great. The volume and intensity is good as far as what you can get out of that, and the simlple tools overlayed with the complexity of routines can serve to keep people interested and engaged.

But I've been bitching at him about muscling-himself about with his now huger-arms when he should be more relaxed and moving like a fracking wrestler not a fracking B-movie action star.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast